Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-11-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
In spite of the MO items mentioned above...I can easily build a set, shimano hubs(like XT), a variety of rims(Like DT460DB), Sapim Race spokes..for about $380+Ship.
He beat me to a recommendation to call him!
Old 08-11-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaute View Post
Too bad xtr/xt hubs don't work with 11 speed road cassette. Would like to try them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The 11-34 8K cassette OP mentioned IS a road cassette.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2017, 07:56 PM
Forward the Foundation

CX-70 hubs, 135oln, disc, 11speed body.
28 hole only.

Sealing is better than fru-fru hubs.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
How durable are the XT hubs? Looking to build a low cost mtb wheelset and while searching for hubs I was surprised to see some negative reviews regarding durability.
There was an earlier version of XT hubs that were being fitted with larger cassette sizes, in conjunction with 22t-24t chainrings, which often fractured the splined freehub body.
This was early along during the 10s era for XT, later XT hubs have been considerably strengthened to handle cassettes with 36 and more teeth.

I wouldn't use the Ultegra hubs with super-low mountain gearing if I was of average or greater weight and strength, as I suspect these are not built for that.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:30 PM

How about a set of HUNT wheels?
Old 08-12-2017, 07:41 AM

Not very in the dirt, cup and cones construction and the hub engagement is off. Come out of adjustment and they're extremely heavy. Sealed bearings that you can pop in and out easily and good hub engagement is what is key with mtb wheels

Not sure what your budget is but I picked up a set of the new Stans S1 wheels that retail for about 479 Elons at your LBS and was actually surprised at the quality. Not been happy with Stans in the past but these have been good for the whole summer in the woods

32 hole, butted sapim spokes, brass nipples and pretty good engagement. Whole series of sizes that match your tire width and come pre-taped for tubeless

Quote:
How durable are the XT hubs? Looking to build a low cost mtb wheelset and while searching for hubs I was surprised to see some negative reviews regarding durability.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Not very in the dirt, cup and cones construction and the hub engagement is off. Come out of adjustment and they're extremely heavy. Sealed bearings that you can pop in and out easily and good hub engagement is what is key with mtb wheels

Not sure what your budget is but I picked up a set of the new Stans S1 wheels that retail for about 479 Elons at your LBS and was actually surprised at the quality. Not been happy with Stans in the past but these have been good for the whole summer in the woods

32 hole, butted sapim spokes, brass nipples and pretty good engagement. Whole series of sizes that match your tire width and come pre-taped for tubeless
I have the Easton Arc mtb rims that I bought cheap from Chain Reaction Cycles when they were 50% off. I just need the hubs and my wheel builder will supply the rest.
The XT hubs are 35 grams heavier for a set compared to a set of DT Swiss 350 and $100 cheaper. I have a set of XT hubs in my cart at JensonsUSA waiting for the green light from OP. However, many are saying the same thing regarding the XT hubs, go out of adjustment easy. Maintenance seems to be the key in keeping these hubs running. I'm going to save up for the DT's.
Thanks.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
The XT hubs are 35 grams heavier for a set compared to a set of DT Swiss 350 and $100 cheaper.
And not convertible.

Quote:
I'm going to save up for the DT's.
I would. They're pretty reasonable from Europe and they come with a DT Swiss CL to 6-Bolt adapter and lockring (aka thru axle lockring), which is a $20 item and very useful.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:41 PM

I built a set of 32 spoke Hope RS4 Hubs dt r460 db rims, and while they are not the lightest (~1750 or so with brass nipples), they are a solid wheelset for the price, and having inexpensive rims is nice as there is a bit less sweat when potholes appear or offroad adventures leads you to rocks or roots. Rims could be a bit wider compared to other offerings, but at ~45 a piece, hard to beat.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:59 AM
formerly Landshark_98

Campagnolo Zonda DB
Old 09-20-2017, 01:40 PM

I've been running these all year. I've been super happy. The bladed spoke have stayed straight, I've hit plenty of pot holes, and I'm 195-200lb. I've destroyed Fulcrums, Mavics, and the stock Bontrager wheels.

They come with the TA adapters and tubeless bits. If you've only got one bike, you can sell the adapters for a decent price.
Durable, adaptable, 32mm deep, tubeless, can be used for 25c road - 50c gravel tires, can take some psi with larger tires (40c @80psi if you want),can look good with some graphics removed, and cheap. Not light though; 520g rim; 1720g for the set.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...67/wg_id-12981

If you want a wider rim and don't care about depth, I've been using Performance Bike's Grail build for years. Generic hubs are fine and have big bearings. 1800g on 32spoke build not super light weight. 45psi Tubeless for 32c tires is kinda low for tire gravel duty. http://www.performancebike.com/webap..._1184165_-1___

Last edited by jfranci3; 09-20-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:01 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Whether you buy or build, I recommend convertible hubs. There's no good reason not to. I'd say the same for a tubeless rim if you plan on running larger tires.
I think this is the issue with my SLX Shimano wheels that came on my MTB. Non-convertable TA front and QR rear apparently means that new sets go for less than $200 on ebay. I just kept them. At least they are tubeless compatible.

Did I miss it, or did op fail to say what axle interface he was going for?
Old 09-20-2017, 06:45 PM

Rob over at PSIMET builds a really nice wheel for just under $500. Brass nipples that will stand up to punishment of cx, gravel and trails. Sapim spokes and built by hand to last.

http://www.psimet.com/shop/cyclocros...wheels/ax150d/
Old 09-21-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg8357 View Post
CX-70 hubs, 135oln, disc, 11speed body.
28 hole only.

Sealing is better than fru-fru hubs.
I was thinking about these.. Do you have a set? Any positives/negatives here?
Old 09-21-2017, 10:01 AM

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/prime-pro-di...speed-shimano/