Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msngr View Post
ANAO, if you get into his shop, see if you can grab my track frame. Says "Pink Rhino" on it, I think. I know it has FTW on it, as it was a collaboration with Frank the Welder.
Plot thickens.

C'mon ANAO.....now ya gotta go to the garage.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobO View Post
That's not really a response to the context of my comment, which was that you shouldn't NOT hold the guy accountable because you're sympathetic to the fact he has the disease of addiction. Addiction is not like cancer, sympathy does no one any service. It is not only acceptable to hold the addicts feet to the fire in any way you can, it is preferable.
Sympathy and the higher, empathy, does a lot of service. I just want to correct you on this grossly incorrect statement.

Enabling doesn't help addicts. But you can show sympathy and empathy without enabling.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:17 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Sympathy and the higher, empathy, does a lot of service. I just want to correct you on this grossly incorrect statement.

Enabling doesn't help addicts. But you can show sympathy and empathy without enabling.
You're right, I meant sympathy at the expense of accountability.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:51 PM

Wait a min... what if the word addict was never mentioned in this conversation? What if this was a company or any other business? A frame builder taking $$ like that is a business and should be accountable for the goods and services they’ve agreed to provide. If this situation was with anyone other than a destitute addict, the OP should just walk away and count it as a loss?

But also the whole situation just sucks and there's likely nothing that will ever materialize from pursuing the money or the parts.

Last edited by b3pkay; 09-20-2017 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3pkay View Post
Wait a min... what if the word addict was never mentioned in this conversation? What if this was a company or any other business? A frame builder taking $$ like that is a business and should be accountable for the goods and services they’ve agreed to provide. If this situation was with anyone other than a destitute addict, the OP should just walk away and count it as a loss?

But also the whole situation just sucks and there's likely nothing that will ever materialize from pursuing the money or the parts.
Addict or not- likelihood of getting restitution is low in this situation. Aggressively seeking restitution would probably cost more in time and/or money than the value of the money loss. There are no certain terms one will ever recoup the money loss no matter what tact is taken.

Addict has little to do with the math here except, going to to rehab offers a glimper of hope that one day clean and sober Billy will do the right thing. Thats probably the OPs best bet if his stuff is not in the storage room.

as Kenny says, "you got know when to hold them and know when to fold them".
Old 09-21-2017, 07:36 AM

Rough thread to read through.

I worked with a small outfit doing renewable energy installs, etc. The founder and head of the company was a really bright guy, super charismatic, but was absolutely the worst person I've met at managing details. We wound up always behind, out of budget, apologizing to everyone.

While I love to support the garage builder getting their start, I feel like it's just a straight up gamble sometimes.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Addict or not- likelihood of getting restitution is low in this situation. Aggressively seeking restitution would probably cost more in time and/or money than the value of the money loss. There are no certain terms one will ever recoup the money loss no matter what tact is taken.
If there is a storage unit with possessions inside of it, it doesn't hurt to have a look. It's neither aggressive nor time consuming, and probably won't cost the OP a dime.

Good luck, at the very least I hope you are reunited with your parts.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:14 AM

Find another frame builder. When you said drug rehab.... there explains all your woes. Run...

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2017, 01:37 PM
Category VI

09/26
Status update:

I was able to obtain the landlord's info from the dark corners of the interwebs. Seth phoned him up from Cali and found out that the landlord, who is a really nice guy, is pretty miffed about missing out on months' worth of rent. He turned off the electricity last month but still hasn't heard from Billy, which leads him to believe Billy hasn't been there in 30 days+.

He would like to go in, clean up all the stuff (throw out) and then rent out the space to someone else. My friend, being a real estate attorney out on the left coast, advised him to speak with his attorney before proceeding, and he left him my information.

I am to meet with him to lend validity and clarity to the situation and to appeal to him in allowing us first refusal to rummage through his workshop if/when he ever does go in, to allow us to recoup whatever may be in there of ours. Forks, groupsets, tubes, king headsets, brooks saddles, unbuilt tubes, fully built bikes? Who knows what he may have kept.

And then, if there's anything worth salvaging, calling up a welder, somewhere, and asking if they'll finish the job.

But that's far off, and a big if.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:42 PM
Category VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by msngr View Post
ANAO, if you get into his shop, see if you can grab my track frame. Says "Pink Rhino" on it, I think. I know it has FTW on it, as it was a collaboration with Frank the Welder.
Wasn't that the one that was stolen?

Posted July 18, 2016.

"STOLEN BIKE!!! I just had this stolen. Lock was cut while I was in my apartment on Boerum st at Bushwick ave. I went inside for a for 15 minutes and it was gone when I came out. iI literally just put this frame back together a couple of days ago, it's incredibly sentimental to me as it was a huge project that I undertook with Frank the welder. Please keep your eyes peeled and hit me up if you see it. I am ready to enact serious street justice for the return of this. Please repost!!!"
Old 10-06-2017, 03:19 PM

any updates, Eli? Did you grease the wheel and get into the space?
Old 10-07-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAO View Post
Wasn't that the one that was stolen?
(haven't checked this thread in a while)

Well, dang. Sure is. He never told me it was stolen. Guess that helps explain a few things.

That is that.

But also, what is up with putting risers on a race bike? That is like all kinds of wrong. Billy! (say it like Superintendent Chalmers saying "Skinner!")

And I think that pizza shop closed. Shame. Was by far the best pizza in that neighborhood. All the new people around there are killing local businesses.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:33 AM

Hopefully we hear an update...
Kinda curious as to whats in the unit, like Heraldo in Al Capone's vault.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:22 AM
Category VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
any updates, Eli? Did you grease the wheel and get into the space?
I've been in Israel since Monday.

Seth spoke with the landlord and told him to reach out to me, but he hasn't as of yet. So, no updates on that front. I'll follow up when I'm back stateside in another week or so. I believe he's checking out the legality with his attorney.