Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-03-2017, 12:04 PM

Around the world in 80 days, on a bicycle?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-39479386

Quote:
Beaumont said: "I will be travelling 240 miles and be riding for 16 hours a day so there are not many reference points for this level of endurance.

"The whole point of the next couple of weeks going around the coastline of Britain is to test the theory, to know that I can hold that 80-day pace."

The cyclist said his average day would see him on the bike at 04:00 and riding for four sets of four hours with half-hour breaks in between...
I wish him luck, but I doubt that even the best endurance cyclists can keep up such enormous daily mileage for 80 days.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:40 PM

I never understood these types of endeavors. While reading the article I can't help but ask myself: "who's paying for this," "who's really paying attention to the endeavor", "what is the point beyond personal satisfaction".........then again, to each his own I guess.....
Old 04-03-2017, 04:35 PM

Does one take on challenge to gain the accolades of others?

I never understood a lot of things. Like why anyone would actually own a Ferrari. I get the quest for 80 days round the world. He's doing it supported, should be very achievable. He claims 80 days would break the current record by 43 days.

Round the world by bicycle was done in 91 days unsupported. I suppose we could assume Beaumont's maths are bad. Timing is even worse.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:07 PM

Theoretically this could be his bankable retirement scheme that lets him collect large fees for speaking at private gatherings. Kickstarted by reminding the home counties of himself by taking a victory lap of the Isle. You know, an appearance in every pub in the town lucky enough to host him and his that particular evening, news crews following him around every day, gladhanding every club that could conceivably scrape together enough dosh to host his esteemed record holding world famous only in town one night exclusive just for our members engagement.

tl;dr It sounds like a party with people feting him for months on end.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:52 PM

Stupid idea, but I sure hope he makes it. Any thoughts on what type of irreversible damage this could do to someone?

Nuts
Old 04-03-2017, 07:53 PM
Serotta Newbie

Amanda Coker is over 75,000 miles on her way to a new annual mileage record. She isn't riding the many different roads and locations like this attempt, but she is riding big miles every day. She is averaging 233 miles a day at a speed above 20mph moving average. Surely riding the many different roads and terrain required for a round the world attempt is much more difficult even if the overall mileage is much less than what she is doing.

It takes a special person to do these attempts. God's speed to them all.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
I never understood these types of endeavors. While reading the article I can't help but ask myself: "who's paying for this," "who's really paying attention to the endeavor", "what is the point beyond personal satisfaction".........then again, to each his own I guess.....
Book sales, speaking fees, and sponsors - I have the book from his last effort that smashed the old record. His was eclipsed a year or two ago. It was interesting to read to find out his motivation and as a travelogue.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:34 AM

He did it -- amazing!

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...smashes-record

Interview a few days before the end of his trip: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-fi...world-cycling/
Old 09-19-2017, 11:42 AM
mentholated

does wada have anything to do with world record attempts like this?
Old 09-19-2017, 05:04 PM

underwhelmed

79 day guy had a crew of 5 with a navigator
Amamda is riding a little park loop near her house
over
and
over
and
over
and
over
I guess I am envious
Old 09-19-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmojo View Post
79 day guy had a crew of 5 with a navigator
Amamda is riding a little park loop near her house
over
and
over
and
over
and
over
I guess I am envious
Interview with Amanda Coker: http://www.velonews.com/2017/09/from...a-coker_448158.

I love riding long distances when I'm going somewhere, but riding endless loops in a park would make me lose my mind.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTHBROOKS View Post
does wada have anything to do with world record attempts like this?
WADA is almost exclusively limited to sports whose governing bodies are connected to the Olympics. Hence, road racing, track racing, MTB racing, cyclocross and BMX are WADA sports, whereas HPVA speed records, Ultramarathon cylcling races, Red Hook Crit. fixed gear racing, and the Bike Messenger World Championships are not.

I'm not sure how you'd regulate around the world records, since you can't actually ride all the way around the world. Based on the route published, this rider is flying long distances between continents, and not even taking the shortest land routes.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:49 AM
mentholated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
I'm not sure how you'd regulate around the world records, since you can't actually ride all the way around the world. Based on the route published, this rider is flying long distances between continents, and not even taking the shortest land routes.
even the most common man can be a doper. whos asking these newer world record holders for clean pee?