Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2017, 11:23 AM

I never seem to have issues with them yelling at me but I hate the headphone thing too. It seems 99% of MUP runners wear them all the time and are super oblivious.

I tend to avoid saying "on your left" though. Most novice runners and novice cyclists/non-cyclists on bikes will inevitably look to their left and veer to the left when they hear that. Really people on bikes are worse about that I think! So I just avoid it cause it makes a dangerous scenario more dangerous.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:14 PM

Sounds like you need an air horn.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:55 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Yeah, I personally feel like if you're wearing headphones, you have given up your right to be surprised by a passing bike.
Agreed. Walking, Riding, Driving, whatever, if you place yourself in a potentially dangerous situation while depriving yourself of one of your senses, you get what you get.

Quote:
Too many people in their own little world, with no situational awareness.
This describes more than just MUPs.

Quote:
Tony, glad you were able to avoid injury. She was lucky, frankly, that you weren't someone who meant to do her harm.
She's actually quite lucky that our protagonist in the OP didn't call the police. I'm pretty sure that the backhand with intent qualifies as assault and battery.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:05 PM

I agree with the others that "on your left" doesn't work for pedestrians. I've also found that about half of the other cyclists I encounter during my commute don't handle it well either.

I usually loudly say "good morning" or "coming up behind you". It tends to work pretty well unless they're wearing headphones.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvc View Post
I agree with the others that "on your left" doesn't work for pedestrians. I've also found that about half of the other cyclists I encounter during my commute don't handle it well either.

I usually loudly say "good morning" or "coming up behind you". It tends to work pretty well unless they're wearing headphones.
I've never understood the "on your left" thing. The few occasions I've heard it on an MUP or on the street only served to startle me, and I'm quite certain that someone less adept at bike handling would have been much more likely to veer one way or the other.

If you're going to pass someone, just pass them. Give them enough room to allow for any unexpected movements on their part. Be cautious and aware enough to modify your trajectory or speed if they do indeed suddenly change course. But how likely is that, anyway? People don't suddenly swerve left in the middle of a street with motorized traffic.

Saying anything as you approach someone from behind on a bike just seems like a bad idea all around, like the solution of an activist busybody overthinking a situation. And I'm not big on bells, either. In my experience they sound more like "get out of my way" than "be careful, here I come."
Old 09-18-2017, 02:48 PM
Glory bound

I find that a bell gets people's attention without being confrontational about it. But I check for earphone wires, though that will be less useful as Bluetooth-only iPhones take over. Air horn may be most effective, even necessary, in traffic, but on a MUP, really?
Old 09-18-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Tony, glad you were able to avoid injury. She was lucky, frankly, that you weren't someone who meant to do her harm.
Thanks Matt. She's very fit, it would of hurt! After the smoke cleared I told her she's quick with a great back fist and should hook up with Urijah Faber's Gym, that she would be great! She laughed.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:05 PM

This is exactly why I purchased the Spur Cycle Bell. It is LOUD. And I ring at will. The other thing I stay aware of are runners that constantly look at their Garmin Watches. I find if they wear on their left wrist, they tend to lean left when reading the darn thing.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
I've never understood the "on your left" thing. The few occasions I've heard it on an MUP or on the street only served to startle me, and I'm quite certain that someone less adept at bike handling would have been much more likely to veer one way or the other.

If you're going to pass someone, just pass them. Give them enough room to allow for any unexpected movements on their part. Be cautious and aware enough to modify your trajectory or speed if they do indeed suddenly change course. But how likely is that, anyway? People don't suddenly swerve left in the middle of a street with motorized traffic.

Saying anything as you approach someone from behind on a bike just seems like a bad idea all around, like the solution of an activist busybody overthinking a situation. And I'm not big on bells, either. In my experience they sound more like "get out of my way" than "be careful, here I come."
My experience on MUP is passing without some warning is rude, and in some cases will piss people off. Regarding bells, had folks ring the s**t out of them because I passed without warning.
The bell seems to work best for me, however if I need to say something I'm going the "heads up" route and not use the "on your left", see how that goes.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:48 PM
Older Than You

I just yell PASSING!!! So often they don't hear me because of the headphones.A few times their music was so loud I could hear it 10 ft coming up behind them.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvc View Post

This. Then I let them pick a side and ride by on the opposite side.

I've resorted to literally yelling at some headphone wearers to let them know I'm there. Usually works; sometimes doesn't. If I startle them, oh well. Their fault for not using common sense.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
My experience on MUP is passing without some warning is rude, and in some cases will piss people off. Regarding bells, had folks ring the s**t out of them because I passed without warning.
The bell seems to work best for me, however if I need to say something I'm going the "heads up" route and not use the "on your left", see how that goes.
not that anyone enforces it, but technically one of the rules on our local MUP is that you must give an audible warning when passing someone. I usually yell "coming up on your left" as well in advance as possible, to allow for time to brake, should they do something stupid. "heads up" is what I'll do if they're facing me though, and don't seem to have noticed me for whatever reason. but again, if I notice they have headphones on, I often don't say anything.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:45 PM

Oh, my, some folks are a wee bit tightly wound.

To the OP -- sounds like it all worked out well, and she'll be more aware of us all in the future (I'm there at least once a week). So, thanks.

I generally use the bell, or say heads-up. Short of a father with clear issues on the W&OD who screamed at me for talking to his child (who was running on a very busy trail), it's never really been an issue. But I also don't ride like a !#$%!#% on MUPs. I'm on them either to get from one part of the ride to another, or to recover. They are NOT for FTP, strava, or high-intensity. That's not only dangerous, it's being a bad human. We are, in theory, all in this together.

So I try to remember that I'm a dad, I'm outside, and life goes on. 2 years ago I gave a bunch of warnings but I knew the young woman didn't hear me. She moved 2 feet left with no warning, and she was being the eye of the tiger. I know, because I heard the Taylor Swift from my bike. Because it was a wood bridge and wet with dew, I crashed and stopped maybe 2 feet from her.

I was fine, bike was fine. She said "you scared me" and I mustered my most sardonic response yet: yes, I said, I imagine I did.

I told her to always look before turning around, and she asked if I was okay. Then she apologized.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
My experience on MUP is passing without some warning is rude...
I'm a Canadian. We're almost as polite and apologetic as UKers. But I find this confounding. Rude?

As long as you give enough room, why would it be rude? And if it's a busy MUP or bike path, or there isn't much room to maneuver, any rational person walking or cycling would understand that getting passed is a likely occurrence.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
I'm a Canadian. We're almost as polite and apologetic as UKers. But I find this confounding. Rude?

As long as you give enough room, why would it be rude? And if it's a busy MUP or bike path, or there isn't much room to maneuver, any rational person walking or cycling would understand that getting passed is a likely occurrence.
I use to ask my wife the same question. I don't think its rude if the MUP is busy with runners and cyclists, a rhythm. It's those you sneak up on. I think a lot depends on the area, conditions, speed, hubs..... Before I started using a bell I could almost guess who would startle. Some people just get irritated to those who swerve dangerously even if you think you gave then enough room. It's so easy to ring a bell, or say something and most people appreciate it.

Last edited by Tony; 09-19-2017 at 07:33 PM.