Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombtfslpk View Post
Not around here!
I have done that to discourage passing. The most recent time, a truck passed the group on the left then made an immediate right turn less than a foot in front of my wheel.
Had I even touched the brakes the whole group would have hit the deck.

The local Police have pulled over the group and told us to stay on the Fog Line and never ride towards the center of the lane. Despite State Laws to the contrary.
I agree - mostly. I never take the lane unless I need to - and am clearly able to - control the traffic behind me. Usually that means when coming into town and when I want to fully integrate with the traffic at their speed. Other times, I'm over to the right as far as is safe. If I'm in a zone where it's unsafe to pass, then I may offer a hand (braking) signal (approaching top of a hill or blind curve) and I am always scanning for potential bailout points, but I'm generally over to the right as much as possible.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
I agree - mostly. I never take the lane unless I need to - and am clearly able to - control the traffic behind me. Usually that means when coming into town and when I want to fully integrate with the traffic at their speed. Other times, I'm over to the right as far as is safe. If I'm in a zone where it's unsafe to pass, then I may offer a hand (braking) signal (approaching top of a hill or blind curve) and I am always scanning for potential bailout points, but I'm generally over to the right as much as possible.
I used to be much more aggressive in the belief that bikes have a "right" to share the road. But as the years go by and the miles pile up, and I see others all to often involved in automobile incidents, I've had to temper my zeal with a healthy dose of realism.
Drivers have gotten much more distracted, and people are much more confrontational in general. I'm on a BICYCLE, wearing spandexhow can I possibly defend myself? Unless you get any bicycle/automobile incident on video....then get that video on the national news, you're on your own.
Like you, I'll take the lane when I have to (certainly on left turns), and I'm signaling as exuberantly as possible to control traffic approaching from behind. I'm aware that when being overtaken, the driver might have to chose between me and a head on collision, and that after contact with a cyclist (or pedestrian, or deer) they will likely be capable of proceeding on to their destination.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:30 PM

Wow! Even with the crash, I'd say ya'll dodged a bullet. Glad no one was seriously injured.

Funny thing, if you would have had enough evidence from this encounter, and cooperative law enforcement, to give this bully a ticket, he probably would think it's ya'lls fault he got the ticket.

Over the last few years we've had a sizable increase in riders being hit around here, and a few killed. More than a few of the locals have decided to focus on dirt & cross instead of risking it on the open roads. For all the urban bike lanes and increased awareness programs, it almost seems like the general driving public is becoming less cooperative and more reckless and/or angry.

About all we can do is ride as defensively, safely and appropriately for the conditions as possible.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:16 PM
なんでやねん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Lots of farm land around there and his truck was likely for that type of work.
Highly doubt it. Most of these modified diesel 4x4s never see anything in the bed, or any terrain harsher than pavement. They are purpose built to be obnoxious, nothing else.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:38 PM

Bingo

After braving the roads for the better part of 3 decades, I went all dirt about 2.5 years ago and life is much more pleasant

Funny thing, the same red neckerson that hassles you you on the pavement has nothing but a smile and a wave when you encounter him out in the boonies on a dirt bicycle...except when its deer season. Funny how that is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tornado View Post
Wow! Even with the crash, I'd say ya'll dodged a bullet. Glad no one was seriously injured.

Funny thing, if you would have had enough evidence from this encounter, and cooperative law enforcement, to give this bully a ticket, he probably would think it's ya'lls fault he got the ticket.

Over the last few years we've had a sizable increase in riders being hit around here, and a few killed. More than a few of the locals have decided to focus on dirt & cross instead of risking it on the open roads. For all the urban bike lanes and increased awareness programs, it almost seems like the general driving public is becoming less cooperative and more reckless and/or angry.

About all we can do is ride as defensively, safely and appropriately for the conditions as possible.