Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-01-2024, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Are you sure you want the OM-1 (of whatever generation) vs the OM-5/E-M5? I have an E-M5ii and it's been great. I'm considering jumping to the OM-5 to get some of the new features (better weather sealing, virtual ND or whatever they call it). Whenever I've handled an OM-1 at the shop, it feels just enough bigger/heavier to put me off it - the whole reason I went Olympus over Fuji was size/weight). And the feature set isn't all that different right now.
No, I'm not. I have a E M-5i that has served me well, but I just want to get something new. Form factor is going to be a consideration, to be sure. I really need to go look at a larger camera to see if it's "too large". I might find that it fits my hands better.
Mostly, I'm feature shopping, but anything I get is going to be a huge step up
Old 05-02-2024, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
No, I'm not. I have a E M-5i that has served me well, but I just want to get something new. Form factor is going to be a consideration, to be sure. I really need to go look at a larger camera to see if it's "too large". I might find that it fits my hands better.
Mostly, I'm feature shopping, but anything I get is going to be a huge step up
Totally get it, I've gone back and forth a few times. And to be fair, the OM-1 isn't remotely large - it's still smaller than most "pro-sumer" mirrorless and absolutely smaller than just about an DSLR. And if you have large hands, the extra grip area on the body is likely a plus that outweighs the extra bulk.

The internal hardware specs between the current OM-1 and OM-5 are pretty close. I think the OM-1 gets an extra stop in hand-held-high-def mode and virtual ND mode (it has more memory, maybe). But sensor and processor are listed as the same. It also has a bigger battery and dual SD card slots, which are probably worth it for a pro, but maybe not for a casual user. It also has a few unlabeled custom setting spots on the dial (on the OM-5, they're still labeled with icons for modes, which you can overwrite, where on the OM-1 they're just C2, C3, C4 - that's from memory, might be more to it than that).

Anyway, if you like the form factor of the old E-M5, I bet the OM-5 will do what you want. If you feel it's too small and gets front heavy (frequently use the big Pro lens or heaver vintage stuff with adapters), then maybe the OM1 would be better.

Like you said, you probably need to find a shop and hold each to know. On the used market, the 5 is a few Benjamins less, so makes a lot of sense.