Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-05-2016, 11:05 PM

Velo Würks pump Wow!

I just picked up a Velo Würks pump at Savile Road. Awesome pump. They also had the Silca SuperPista pump. The VW pump is nearly as nice for a third of the price. It takes just a little finesse to keep the pump head on my valve extenders but once you get the hang of it is a really nicely made solid pump.
On a side note, kudos to Steven LeBoyer (Red Rider) at Savile Road for an excellent checkup on my fit.

Ugh cannot edit the stupid spellcheck "corrected" title of my thread!

Last edited by DerekB; 08-06-2016 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekB View Post
I just picked up a Velo Würks pump at Savile Road. Awesome pump. They also had the Silca SuperPista pump. The VW pump is nearly as nice for a third of the price. It takes just a little finesse to keep the pump head on my valve extenders but once you get the hang of it is a really nicely made solid pump.
On a side note, kudos to Steven LeBoyer (Red Rider) at Savile Road for an excellent checkup on my fit.
I have that pump and indeed it is great. At the beginning I was considering putting a Hirame head, but so far the one that came with the pump has been great.
Cheerio!
Old 08-05-2016, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Ugh cannot edit the stupid spellcheck "corrected" title of my thread!
Click "edit" then "go advanced."
Old 08-06-2016, 04:09 AM
Lanterne rouge

I have the same pump. Mine has a Silca chuck and works very well. The original chuck was well made but a bit bulky for my liking.
Their customer service is top notch also.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:31 AM

Quote:

List price on the Silca is less than twice the price of the Velo Wurks.

Great thread about the Super Pista on V Salon. Nice to hear from a company owner about the product.

Jeff
Old 08-06-2016, 08:30 AM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post
List price on the Silca is less than twice the price of the Velo Wurks.

Great thread about the Super Pista on V Salon. Nice to hear from a company owner about the product.

Jeff
How do you figure?
I paid 90.00 delivered for my Velo pump. The Super Pista my old man had was 450.00. The Silca is beautiful and works superb but its not nicer enough to be 4 times the price.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:34 PM

He's thinking of the newer regular SuperPista. MSRP $235. It's still more than 2x but not 4x like the SuperPista Ultimate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicli View Post
How do you figure?
I paid 90.00 delivered for my Velo pump. The Super Pista my old man had was 450.00. The Silca is beautiful and works superb but its not nicer enough to be 4 times the price.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:23 AM

Interested in the VeloWurks pump but where online can one be bought at a fair price?
Old 08-07-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdude View Post
Interested in the VeloWurks pump but where online can one be bought at a fair price?
I found this...

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...ump-with-gauge
Old 08-16-2016, 07:22 AM

Bought one...

I bought one of these pumps from Western Bikeworks. It was $90.99 with free shipping, which is a pretty amazing deal:

https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...FQKNaQodxZkNuA

Impression: nicely made, especially for the price. The long, large diameter barrel moves air at a good volume, and it's very smooth. The handle is comfortable.

The pump head is well made but I think the presta side should have been made deeper to put more of the stem inside. The first few times I used it I let air out of the tire getting the head locked down. Normally I'll break the seal on a presta valve before I pump a tire, but with this pump I think a better approach is to unscrew the valve nut and put the pump head on until *it* breaks the seal, then lock it down and pump the tire.

Replacing the head on this pump would probably involve cutting the hose, as there is a crimped fitting for the original head at the end. So I'll use it for a while before I make any modifications. It has a nice long hose, too.

The gauge is large but the numbers should be bigger. The bezel has a little red dot that can be rotated around the gauge, and that helps some. But a little piece of pin striping tape on the gauge face at 100 psi would make it better. I checked it against my Accugauge and they read about the same.

The base is very steady; there's no risk of pump falling over like my old Silcas.

I've read that it's a rebuildable pump, but I don't know... other than the head seals it looks like most things are permanent to me. It seems durable, in any case.

Overall, I'd recommend it, especially for the sale price.

Ed.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:47 AM

Wow that is a purty pump for sure. Only issue I see is pumping up while having cycling shoes on with cleats. Looks slippery.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
How do you figure?
As someone else mentioned you are confusing the Suoer Pista and the Super Pista Ultimate.

Jeff
Old 09-16-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I have the same pump. Mine has a Silca chuck and works very well. The original chuck was well made but a bit bulky for my liking.

Their customer service is top notch also.

Quick question, which adapter did you use to fit the Silca chuck into the pump? I have a threaded Silca "hiro" chuck and I am thinking of installing into this pump. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-17-2017, 10:44 AM
Daniel

Beautiful pump! Does it have a warranty?

I guess my hiccup is that I own an orange Serfas FMP-500O and it's warrantied for life, so I guess I'm not in the market for a pump, but the VW is so pretty!

Last edited by 559Rando; 09-17-2017 at 10:44 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 09-17-2017, 12:31 PM
aka RAEKWON

I have the velo wurks, bought it to replace my Lezyne (gargabe) and its nice. Its good looking, nice big barrel lets you pump fast, some nice materials. I have a hirame pump chuck on it and works great.

that said, I don't think the pump is better than my joe blow which cost half the money. I like it though and happy with the purchase. I bought it for $88 shipped on ebay (new)