Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-01-2017, 11:42 AM

We had a Doberman for 12 years. Had to put her down this past summer. We live in the country and my wife did a lot of long runs and trail runs. She would finish a 20 miler and the dog would be ready for more. There was never a sweeter dog, but intimidating as could be as well. Everyone who saw her was intimidated before they knew her. I had them when I was kid too. I think they are the perfect dog for a woman who wants a mid-size dog that isn't too big for her to control, is intimidating to strangers and a loving companion at all times.

Now we have a Komondor, which is likely way too much dog for most people and doesn't do well without a lot of space. The wife wanted a dog that doesn't shed and that would be comforting when she was alone in our home in the country. We looked at the Bergamasco and the Bouvier as well. She's 5 months old and 53 pounds when she's full grown if we don't have her adequately trained we are in for a struggle.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:53 AM

I am on my fifth Samoyed. Amazing breed, take them any where, intelligent, loyal, friendly, think for themselves, last one was a therapy dog, need lots of brushing, not allergic, 40 to 60lbs, live 13 to 15yes typically. Check them out. Good luck.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:18 PM

poodle! they don't shed and they're super smart & caring. my dad has one in colorado and every time i stay there she sleeps next to me. she can also tow me through a snowstorm on a fatbike. my girlfriend's mom has a mini poodle who is awesome, too. This being said, adopt don't shop!!!

Last edited by adamhell; 02-01-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:23 PM

My personal opinion isn't going with a breed at all, rather head down to your shelter and find a friendly pup with the physical characteristics that you want and who reacts well to you.

You can hike with any dog, almost all of them are naturally protective; IMO the mutts live longer, healthier and happier.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:28 PM

I kind of skimmed the last few pages and saw a few posts recommending your friend adopt. Please encourage her to adopt her new best friend. If there is a particular breed that she zeros in on, chances are, there is a rescue that caters to that breed. All of my pets as an adult have been adopted/rescued and they are all amazing! XOXO

We have a McNabb which is a herding breed from Northern CA. They look like a short haired Border Collie for the most part with all of the traits your friend seems to be looking for, protective, obedient, friendly, hard-working (well, sometimes, when he isn’t sleeping on the bed with the cats), well-mannered and very sociable.

Last edited by phoenix; 02-01-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:43 PM
North of 49th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
I don't know what your experience is with Bouvier's is, but if you dont know they are the breed of choice for Belgian Police. They are pretty high energy and very protective. Also, not sure how big this woman is, but from my experience they can dominate "any situation", once they make their mind up they kind of do what they want to do.

Not saying its a bad breed/dog, there really are only poorly trained/socialized dogs, but a Bouvier needs a very strong hand.

Best

Ray
+1, 2 & 3 on Bouviers... I've had three. Great athletes. Mine have run ultra trail marathons. Good babysitters, protectors and companions. Non shedders and hardy in pretty much any climate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg twobouvs.jpg (144.6 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg sled31.jpg (37.2 KB, 177 views)
Old 02-01-2017, 12:53 PM

Shelter Dogs

AMERICAN BLACK & TAN COONHOUND RESCUE

But I'm a bit biased.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:57 PM

My two cents.

The German Shepherd is probably one of the most trainable breeds and adaptable to just about living situation. Incredible athletes, loyal, and steady.

Here's my first GSD that I picked up at the Humane Society and trained for avalanche work back in my ski patrol days - he got to cut into the front of lift lines.

Here's my second GSD and a very good SAR dog. Very courageous and loving.

He was a cute pup too.

Now we have a goofy English Setter. Couldn't resist him as a pup.

and he grew into quite a handsome fella.

Very athletic too, love to watch him run. Another good choice your friend.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z604iwccRec

Last edited by maj; 02-01-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:33 PM

I concur with the rescue/pound puppy suggestions. Find one who is healthy and has a personality to match the owner(s). My wife's aunt and uncle adopted a beagle-greyhound mix that is one of the most fun dogs I've ever met. Great, friendly personality, loves to hike, yet is docile and quiet indoors. She spends a great deal of time at our home when her family is out of town visiting grandkids. We've grown to love her as if she was our own.

On the flip side, my wife and daughter informed me a few years back that we were getting a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier. I had no say in the decision... He turned out to be the perfect dog for our family. Mid-size (55 lbs, big for a Wheaten), loves to be outdoors, very friendly, yet also quiet indoors. Without a doubt the smartest dog I have ever spent time with. He knows more voice commands than any dog I've ever worked with. Bonus: no shedding!

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg guard dogs.jpg (78.9 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg Max-Sofie hiking 10-11-2015_small.jpg (146.4 KB, 149 views)
Old 02-01-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
I concur with the rescue/pound puppy suggestions. Find one who is healthy and has a personality to match the owner(s). My wife's aunt and uncle adopted a beagle-greyhound mix that is one of the most fun dogs I've ever met. Great, friendly personality, loves to hike, yet is docile and quiet indoors. She spends a great deal of time at our home when her family is out of town visiting grandkids. We've grown to love her as if she was our own.

On the flip side, my wife and daughter informed me a few years back that we were getting a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier. I had no say in the decision... He turned out to be the perfect dog for our family. Mid-size (55 lbs, big for a Wheaten), loves to be outdoors, very friendly, yet also quiet indoors. Without a doubt the smartest dog I have ever spent time with. He knows more voice commands than any dog I've ever worked with. Bonus: no shedding!

Greg
I'm kind of diggin' your "Racing Beagle." Surprised that no one has mentioned the Labradoodle and similar designer dogs. The ones I've known were very friendly and athletic.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:16 PM
Adam/SerottaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
We had a Doberman for 12 years. Had to put her down this past summer. We live in the country and my wife did a lot of long runs and trail runs. She would finish a 20 miler and the dog would be ready for more. There was never a sweeter dog, but intimidating as could be as well. Everyone who saw her was intimidated before they knew her. I had them when I was kid too. I think they are the perfect dog for a woman who wants a mid-size dog that isn't too big for her to control, is intimidating to strangers and a loving companion at all times.

Now we have a Komondor, which is likely way too much dog for most people and doesn't do well without a lot of space. The wife wanted a dog that doesn't shed and that would be comforting when she was alone in our home in the country. We looked at the Bergamasco and the Bouvier as well. She's 5 months old and 53 pounds when she's full grown if we don't have her adequately trained we are in for a struggle.
Let's see a pic of that puppy!
Old 02-01-2017, 04:26 PM

+1 on the GSD. Incredibly loyal, smart, sweet creatures. I think a good call for what the OP was looking for. My buddy:

[/URL]
Old 02-01-2017, 04:27 PM

Note: Friend has a 12 year old pit/retriever now, she is well versed in dogs and will probably get a mix - just having fun searching for something different. She lives in an apartment, so massive size is out.

Personally I want a Samoyed, going to get one for my daughter someday when she buys a house so we can baby sit. Here are 2 of our eskie guys/gal, female on left was a breeder that lived in a crate, so she is happy living on our bed. On right, Niikko very dominent and active male. We also have a 15.5 year old eskie that has seen the rainbow bridge 5 times, but says he is not ready.

IMG_0658 copy.jpg
Old 02-01-2017, 04:38 PM

It's heartening to see all of the suggestions for shelter adoption. I concur with that. Dog companionship, for me, is about the combination of personality and lifestyle compatibility, and heart connection. Visiting your local rescue and spending time with some of the furries, is the way to go.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:46 PM

I vote either American or Olde English bulldogge. Great dogs that are just happy to be around and can handle the hikes as long as properly bred. Definitely can look intimidating and lots of personality.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170125_093624.jpg (28.9 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg 20170125_093639.jpg (30.2 KB, 120 views)

Last edited by Hilltopperny; 02-01-2017 at 04:49 PM.