Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-07-2023, 02:19 PM

Cyclami TPU tubes

I've held off trying TPU tubes due to the high cost. I almost bought some Ride Now tubes but didn't want to order from AliExpress and the like. Somewhere I came across a review of Cyclami tubes, reports say they come from the same factory as Ride Now, and found them on Amazon. Two tubes and patch kit for $30 was low enough for me to take a chance.

They also have a metal valve stem which I prefer. Not only are they really light but seem to hold air much better than latex. Just one ride so far but they appear to roll a bit more smoothly than my standard Michelin UL tubes, but that may just be placebo. In any event, they certainly are not worse. If I don't start getting more flats than usual I'm going to order two more as spares. Two tubes take up less room than on butyl tube and weight less in the bargain. The lime color is kinda loud but you can't see them in use so....

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1170.jpg (136.1 KB, 755 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1171.jpg (130.1 KB, 755 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1172.jpg (47.8 KB, 751 views)
Old 05-07-2023, 02:33 PM

Numerious orders, no issues, 2x RideNow Ultralight Bike Inner Tubes 36g, patch kit, under $15.00 AliExpress, Bike GPS Store.

https://bikegps.aliexpress.com/store...Head_1375696.0

Last edited by m_sasso; 05-07-2023 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-07-2023, 02:38 PM
Not A Bot

Just ordered the pink TPU tubes... we'll see how well they work. Haha
Old 05-07-2023, 06:04 PM

At that Aliexpress price it's worth a shot. I ordered a couple as spares for 650B and a couple to try on the Firefly.
Old 05-08-2023, 05:40 AM

I purchased the same green TPU tubes above. About 1k miles on mine so far and no faults. Love them! Have 6 in total as spares. I will pick up a couple of the ride now ones to try on my gravel bike.

Last edited by huck*this; 05-08-2023 at 05:48 AM.
Old 05-08-2023, 05:51 AM

What's the thoughts compared to tubeless?
Old 05-08-2023, 06:04 AM

18 pages of info on these tubes.

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...p?f=3&t=169133
Old 05-08-2023, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
Two tubes take up less room than on butyl tube and weight less in the bargain. The lime color is kinda loud but you can't see them in use so....

Tim
Of course I don't doubt that the tpu tubes are smaller, but hard to see scale in your pictures. Here's a michelin UL butyl tube:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tubetight.jpg (106.4 KB, 645 views)
Old 05-08-2023, 06:59 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
What's the thoughts compared to tubeless?
Oh dear, here we go again.
Old 07-11-2023, 10:42 PM

anyone care to post an update on their experience with cyclami or other brand tpu tubes in general?

i found a tubolati tube in a bin and installed it, forgot how crazy light these are. but man, they lose air overnight like it's going outta style.

interested in upgrading to the ridiculously light weight, but not at 40 bucks per.
Old 07-11-2023, 10:49 PM

I had two weird flats on my cyclami tubes in the past two weeks. Front and rear, both tubes seemed like they were still holding a little air but there were strange stretch marks near the valve stem area. My wife has had better luck so I'm thinking of chalking it up to poor installation. Are people installing these in a special way--like different than normal tubes? I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. (28mm Turbo Cottons on Shamal Mille C17's for reference).
Old 07-12-2023, 07:24 AM

OP here, I'm back on lightweight butyl tubes in the tires and keep two TPU tubes in the saddle bag as spares. My two front flats with TPU tubes may just be an anomaly but in over 40 years riding I never had a front blowout before. Prior to this mishap I had about 200 miles on the Cyclami tubes. No issues installing them, just puff a bit of air to help them hold shape. Checking for tube pinches is easy as the bright green color really stands out when doing the final check before full inflation.

Again, it may not be rational but super thin tubes just make me more nervous so back to the old tried and true. People also rave about latex but I tried them twice in my life and each time went back to rubber due to much more frequent punctures.

Tim
Old 07-12-2023, 10:58 AM

+1 for the Ride Now tubes. I've been running them for several hundred miles, and one flat - slow leak, my not shutting the valve. In that time I've had three flats on butyl. And no, I have no idea why the butyl tubes went flat - just puncture holes, with no culprits left in the tire casing. Oh, and on GP 5000 new tires too (not impressed).

I'm sold so far. One tip, if you are installing and inflate the TPU tubes to help, use a pump as mold will form inside the tube if you blow into it.

Weight for the TPU: 45 grams, 1.6 oz
Weight for Conti 700c x 20-25mm - 42mm Presta: 105 grams, 3.7 oz

'Nuff said
Old 10-25-2023, 08:17 AM

Bumping this up.

I'm interested mostly trying to free up my bottle cage by moving into a tool roll, so weight doesn't matter too much, but spaces does.

Are the cyclami's the heaviest, and hopefully the more robust?
Old 10-25-2023, 08:58 AM
cmg

Have used several. Clean the inside of the tire, works better on new tires. New tire should be stretched, use older tube, issue with installation due to bead tightness. Tpu needs to have a little air in it, should not install without some air, less than 5 lbs. Deflate tube as placing in tire. Be careful and try not to use tire levers they'll pinch the tube. Good luck