Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2024, 06:19 PM

I am not in the industry but have been riding and buying now for coming on 40 years...always fascinated how things come and go...

We want the lightest...were told that for how many decades? now it doesn't matter if the bike is light we are told...I guess it might have advantages being heavier when going downhill, sure...tho Aero frames are heavier...far better...add in the braking stuff...age tested rim brakes are just not going to stop you...also thought most of us were driven crazy by noises on our bikes? Well, time to buy those disc brake frames and system as the old rim thing is obsolete...most of us go along with it thanks I guess to the gravel symptom or something...electronic shifting, like any of us were losing watts doing a finger throw...

The industry has done it's work well...convincing folks that their gorgeous ten year old non aero, rim brake bike is just subpar and just part of some old old non tech past...personally I think that is BS and just all marketing...if they want to pretend they are Pogo or something great...but reality is otherwise...and prices have risen accordingly...
Old 04-26-2024, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
My takeaway from listening to this (listening to Josh on part 3 right now) is that we need to be hunting deals.

It's really not in the cards for me to bring another bike in right now just with garage space or whatever.

But they are talking about their being truck sized containers of groupsets and warehouses full of extra bikes and other stuff out there that were duplicate orders and dumb supply chain accidents and they are sitting on them all.

So at some point there's gotta be some smoking deals on replacing worn components/groups to new stuff and/or doing upgrades.

I guess my two main bikes are basically sitting there waiting to get converted to fanci(er) electronic groups when the deals are found.

My 2022 MTB has mechanical eagle on it.. I definitely gotta be looking for a deal on the AXS upgrade kit that's basically just dropping the new rear derailleur and the shifter on.

Of course I am wondering if the show is a distorted picture due to the small # of people they interviewed. Is it only certain brands of bikes that got over-ordered, etc.. or is it a wide swath all the way across brands and companies.
There has already been a good number of deals over the past year. Most have been on the mid to lower end bikes. But some on higher end. And good deals (30-50%) on higher end components have also been seen from time to time. I got a Fox Performance SC 120 fork for $300 with free shipping from Jenson. Lots of good deals on Sram Eagle AXS, Force and Red components. Most of those are due to new generations being introduced though. Right now is also a good time to get 12 speed Shimano MTB components. Sale prices tell me that a new generation is coming there too.

When you find a good deal on a higher end bike or component, they usually sell out fast. So you do need to be constantly looking and pull the trigger as soon as you see it.