Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-18-2024, 03:55 AM

So what is it, a "Road+" or "endurance" designed around ~35's ?
Old 04-18-2024, 07:58 AM
Proud Grandpa

OMG, that rack

I would hope they do a better job on that front rack....and light..that looks now like it points at the sky.
Old 04-18-2024, 08:58 AM
Meh

A few more details here: https://theradavist.com/ritchey-mont...ames-and-more/

Clearance for 36s w/ fenders and 40s without, new fork design with dynamo wire routing, a little more stack and a little bit longer than Road Logic (no other details on geo in the article). For unknown reasons, priced higher than all of the other (non-breakaway) frames in their catalog.

And presumably as covered here, not big enough if you are 6’5” and not setup correctly for photos.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:34 AM

I’ll go there…..All of the details that make this a “randonneuring bike” are terrible.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:57 AM

The nitpicks aside, I like this new offering...Ritchey tubing and ~road geo with utility/fenders mounts and extra tire clearance.

It will be a great rando or bad-weather frameset option for many.

Instagram
Old 04-18-2024, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
I’ll go there…..All of the details that make this a “randonneuring bike” are terrible.
I will reserve judgment until more official details are released, but I actually think if this bike is just an endurance road bike that fits fenders and wider tires, that's better than them making a classic randonneuring bike.
Old 04-18-2024, 10:04 AM

Anyone see geometry yet ?
Old 04-18-2024, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
such as?
Old 04-18-2024, 12:21 PM

I wonder if 650bx42 would work on this one...

Instagram
Old 04-18-2024, 12:45 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabasco View Post
As the name suggests: it´s a cyclocross bike and not a roadie. Pick the right tool for the job.
I agree. I was just responding to an earlier mention of Ritchey having an XXL size.
It may work for someone tallish that wants a CX bike with a more traditional bb height.

The real point of my post though was to show how even their XXL stack is...limited.
Old 04-18-2024, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
I agree. I was just responding to an earlier mention of Ritchey having an XXL size.
It may work for someone tallish that wants a CX bike with a more traditional bb height.

The real point of my post though was to show how even their XXL stack is...limited.
What are your expectations fit-wise? Are you trying to ride with the handlebars level to the saddle? At 6’4 my 59 road logic was fine with 13cm stem, similar stack and reach to 61cm offerings from other mainstream brands. There was a lot of saddle/bar drop and I ran a -17. I rode an XL Swisscross last year which definitely fit a bit small, but there was still a whole other size above that.
Not trying to be argumentative but a sweeping statement like “these bikes aren’t big enough” might be true for your stack needs but not necessarily for a different but similarly sized rider. perhaps that speaks to intended use of the bike.

I don’t do any rando stuff but very interested in the Montebello when they become widely available. Might be in the minority for Ritchey owners but I wish they’d run the disc lines internally from the downtube.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6311.jpg (149.7 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6312.jpg (150.9 KB, 196 views)

Last edited by slambers3; 04-18-2024 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-18-2024, 01:48 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by slambers3 View Post
What are your expectations fit-wise? Are you trying to ride with the handlebars level to the saddle? At 6’4 my 59 road logic was fine with 13cm stem, similar stack and reach to 61cm offerings from other mainstream brands. There was a lot of saddle/bar drop and I ran a -17. I rode an XL Swisscross last year which definitely fit a bit small, but there was still a whole other size above that.
Not trying to be argumentative but a sweeping statement like “these bikes aren’t big enough” might be true for your stack needs but not necessarily for a different but similarly sized rider. perhaps that speaks to intended use of the bike.

I don’t do any rando stuff but very interested in the Montebello when they become widely available. Might be in the minority for Ritchey owners but I wish they’d run the disc lines internally from the downtube.
I dont take your questions or comments as argumentative.
I do want to clarify that I never made a sweeping comment that 'these bikes arent big enough'. I said they wouldnt fit me, and said I have seen others mention they would buy a Ritchey if the stack height was a bit bigger.
And as I posted earlier, the geometry fits someone else. I totally recognize it is unreasonable to think all mass produced bikes will fit every person's individual measurements/fitness/comfort.

At the same time, I would say that its increasingly uncommon for a mass production brand to not offer a drop bar bike with more than 610mm of stack. I would also say that it is increasingly uncommon for a mass production brand to cap their recommended rider height for road and gravel frames at 6'3.
In addition to the Road Logic stack and reach numbers mentioned earlier, Ritchey's Outback, a gravel bike so usually a bit more upright, is only 606mm stack and 395mm reach. Its designed for up to 6'3.

My bikes are set up where my bars are lower than my saddle. I dont know the exact amount for all my bikes off the top of my head, but below are some pics. Its tough to see because of angle, but the top pic is more than 8cm drop and the bottom pic is 8.5cm drop based on measuring a month ago.

I love that there are so many brands and models of bikes right now because it results in a huge variety of geometry and increases the odds of each of us finding something that works really well for our individual measurements and fitness.
Ritchey is clearly sticking to the 80% of the market and that is an understandable approach for a smaller mass production brand(they have said this is why they dont offer a larger size). I dont begrudge em, I just wish reality were different and their geometry was a bit different because I like the brand.
Old 04-18-2024, 02:37 PM

Big fan of your cannondale there!
Old 04-18-2024, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
The Ritchey forks on the Outback, Road Logic Disc, and Swiss Cross - and I strongly suspect this bike - have an integrated 45 degree crown race.

I think as long as your steel fork has a 1 1/8" straight steerer and can accept a 45 degree crown race that you supply, it would work just fine.
Thanks!
Old 04-18-2024, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Ritchey is clearly sticking to the 80% of the market and that is an understandable approach for a smaller mass production brand(they have said this is why they dont offer a larger size). I dont begrudge em, I just wish reality were different and their geometry was a bit different because I like the brand.
I think the fact this is a metal bike makes it more reasonable for you to be disappointed in narrow size ranges.

Metal isn't winning any performance contests any more. One of the best ways for them to provide additional value with alloy or steel bikes and to differentiate them from their carbon competitors is to make more sizes and make them fit a wider array of people well. It's too bad too few do this.