Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-25-2017, 04:23 PM

New Commuter questions: pedals and headsets

Hi folks,

In a fun diversion from high-tech/hydro/11spd/etc., I am building a new commuter. 7spd Deore DX with cantilever brakes! I have a couple of questions for ya'll

1) I need new flat pedals and am trying to do this on the cheap, so no $150 Canfield superlight things here. I am a clipless person, but my old commuter (RIP) had junk flats that I have kinda grown to appreciate - work shoes/hiking shoes/flipflops are all fair game.

Ive seen some kinda cool BMX type pedals that are either plastic or resin with pins in them. Are these things durable and safe (I weigh 200lbs)? I am thinking a MAX of $40 should do it and the only thing I want is good grip and good bearings. They can be black or whatever and get all scratched up.

What do people think of these? Are they slippery in the rain? If I am so inclined to try using them offroad, are they able to be used for this purpose?

2) Can I use a zero-stack headset on a vintage Rocky Mountain steel frame and fork? eg: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/c.../rp-prod115631

The HT is tall, so dropping the overall stack would be fine. This will ONLY be for commuting, so I am OK if the handling speeds up due to the low stack height.

Can anyone advise? Thank you...

Last edited by d_douglas; 04-25-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:02 PM
Lanterne rouge

You can get some nice alloy pedals in your price range. Think Welgo.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/u...als/rp-prod563
Old 04-25-2017, 05:07 PM

i use the fyxation gates and they work fine, tho the bearings didn't last long before getting a bit rough. the bodies can take a beating tho, no worries there.

edit to your edit: yes, the pins hold perfectly well when wet. the pins have sufficient bite to grab onto soft soles with less of a shin penalty if you miss, tho it still hurts. i've moved mine around from the cafe bike to mtb without issue.

Last edited by vqdriver; 04-25-2017 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:21 PM
Imshi Cycles

ive been commuting on a set of super cheap odyssey bmx pedals year round for the past 4 years...still going strong. i think they were like $15 or something.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:30 PM

Any $20 BMX pedal from your LBS would probably work great. Odyssey Twisted on one of my bikes now, super solid and don't murder your shin when they skrape you!

Last edited by CMiller; 04-25-2017 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:33 PM

My recommendation for pedals would be based on your riding conditions and what types of shoes you plan on wearing. If you're going to be doing a lot of foot down stops, pedals with pins can be real shin-biters. Every time you have to backpedal to get the pedal in position for starting up, you run the risk of smacking yourself. It's not the end of the world, but it does kind of suck.

However, I find pins to work really well with pretty much any style of shoe. My Spank Spike pedals work with any shoe in any condition, but are a potential hazard if I'm not paying attention. I've used flats with built in nubs rather than actual pins, and when wet (which is about 10 months out of the year here), a lot of my shoes slipped badly. I've also used track style pedals and find them to be a fair compromise.

I would assume there is a happy middle somewhere. I wouldn't suggest spending much money until you find what style you like the best.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:18 PM

Thanks folks. I am game for cheap resin pedals but think I will go with real metal pins. I like to live on the edge. I recall you saying those cheap Twisted pedals were good as well, Eric.

That said, there are some Wellgo V12 'copy' pedals for CHEEP that seem of good quality as well. Why are they called 'V12 copy' pedals? Sounds like a lawsuit type of thing.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:30 PM

MKS Touring work well and look nice.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:49 PM

sunlite

Makes a great alloy cruiser pedal, also has rubber for good grip and built in reflectors, under 20 bucks shipped on eBay.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:38 PM

There are worse choices than the shimano version with one side spd and other flat. There are some nice resin/plastic ones but don't go super cheap. They will fail in the elements and I've seen the plastic deform and shear. Not worth it

Edit: forgot to second the mks suggestion. Not sure if they are as good today as back then, but they were always bulletproof in a few different cage options

Last edited by giordana93; 04-25-2017 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:40 AM

I second the MKS. Get the fancy ones for 29 bucks. (maybe 34?)

Not throw away. Very cool. Rebuildable. Grippy.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:07 PM
Riding Along

VICTOR VP-565 PEDALS: $12 CDN at MEC. Just put a set on my neighbours bike and they are fine. You will have to adjust the bearings by removing the end caps to get them spinning smoothly. But alloy at a good price and reasonably well made.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:06 PM

Grant Petersen wrote that IF MKS bearings felt a little grainy when new riding them anyway would soon smooth them out. I took all of mine apart and found very little grease so I packed them with good grease, reinstalled the loose ball bearings and adjusted them for perfect preload and they spin like butter. I think some MKS may come with cartridge bearings but I don't have any like that.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:21 PM

I'm not suggesting you spend the money on them for a commuter, but I put the Xpedo Spry pedals on my MTB and boy are they nice. Light, thin, grippy. . . just love them. The very large platform is awesome.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
VICTOR VP-565 PEDALS: $12 CDN at MEC. Just put a set on my neighbours bike and they are fine. You will have to adjust the bearings by removing the end caps to get them spinning smoothly. But alloy at a good price and reasonably well made.

Yes, I did see those yesterday as I went on at lunch. Damned cheap, but they just feel cheap as well. I am OK with one step up from these. But the price makes it tempting. My current pedals are 30yr flats that have never likely been serviced and rattle as I pedal, so anything is an improvement!