Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-18-2017, 07:35 PM

Are referring to a visit with Pelizolli or Della Santa about the Eroica ideas ?
Old 04-19-2017, 07:48 AM

Pelizzoli.

He has a small shop in Curno, outside of Bergamo, not too far from Milan. As of October 2015, he was doing all of the metal frame building and repair in a section of the shop in the rear, while the carbon work and painting was done on the other side.

My understanding at the time was that the majority of their sales were carbon frames. Since the web site has changed twice (and is now 'curtained') and the corporate name has changed, my guess is that Sr. Pelizzoli sold the company, perhaps to a son or nephew, and they will be changing their lineup of products.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:59 AM

I think the new company is Cicili Corsa. Yeah the website is frozen.

The selling agent for said frame is based in Milan. She said she would be near Curno in a day and could take the frame to Pelizolli. Sure I said, can he sign it too? That started the transaction rolling.
Must have been a kick to visit the shop. Sounds like PaPa is taking things at his own pace in his small space, while the rest of the shop transforms and moves on.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:14 AM

Fwiw

I've been visiting Pelizzoli's workshop in Curno once or twice a year since May of 2000. The shop built several alu cross frames for me during the first five or six years of those visits. Pelizolli was always easy about "brand," insisting that he'd put whatever name on the downtube I liked (eg, Coppi, Guerciotti, Concorde) seeing as how he acts/has acted as terzista for each of those brands as well as numerous others over the years, I assume. Those cross bikes rode great, and for all of the man's bravado and occasional bluster and delays and - yes - sometimes goofs, he does seem to have a good sense of "where to put the wheels." In all of my visits, I've never seen Pelizzoli handle a torch. Son Samuel and daughter-in-law have been working at the shop for most of the years I've been visiting and at least one member of the staff has been there throughout. As far as I can tell, Pelizzoli put himself in a management role long ago, and then for the last ten years (after beating cancer) his role has been mostly "owner." He still takes measurements for custom builds and likes to lend the workshop local color.

Cicli Corsa is a different business just a kilometer or two away, back towards the center of Bergamo. The first time I went to Bergamo was to visit FIR, but they are sadly gone these last 10 - 12 years. (Actually, Gist finally bought the mark a few years ago, but they're over near Castelfranco Veneto where there's a whole nother industry crowd close by.) Still, PMP, WR Compositi, Legend, Ciocc, Santini, Kask, Deda, both Vittoria and Veloflex and others I'm not thinking of right now survive and are all within a few K's of one another there in Bergamo. Plus, Colnago's just on the other side of the A4 and, if you triangulate, you'll come to Bianchi, both roughly 20 kilometers from Pelizzoli.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
Maybe $200-$500
This. Unless you find a nut job collector. I love old steel frames but they are usually about as collectible as old beer cans. Find a nice one, treat it right and ride it. That's the only reason to own these old bikes, not to collect signatures like they are Picasso's. Rant over.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:50 PM

homagesilkhope...You got the dope on that. Pretty interesting. Visits since 2005, thats getting out of town.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luglust View Post
I have 2 other Ciocc slx frames. One with steep crit. angles that accelerates and climbs easily. The other is one of those granite black chrome frames with more relaxed angles, more comfy. The 1st mentioned i rode for years. Was younger and slimmer the rude ride was fine after i found my form for the season.

accardr, the 1st name variation is GION yes ? I like Ciocc's , the Pelizolli built ones mostly not so much after he sold the name in 1980. Although i think he was still building a few after 1980. I like the way they ride, the odd name, the graphics and the fact he is not the biggest deal in town, but a good deal. He still makes em too. the artisan at work. Thats in my blood .
the orignal frame in ? definitely needs paint, its nothing unusual. The history , correspondence gets me drunk. Pics are N.A.

If anyone has a World 77 out there 57.5 to 59 cm. seat, drop me a line.
You sure it was 1980? I thought it was a few years later when you stopped seeing his name on the top tube. Like 85 or 86.

I too am looking for a world 77. Have a very clean 70's san cristobal that is trade for it. Need a 56 though!
Old 04-21-2017, 01:09 AM

I've got a 56 that'll be on the block soon, but it's more recent -- a Designer '84.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:38 AM

Pelizzoli ordered directly at the shop October 2015, delivered August 2016, with Campagnolo SR Pat 81:

With Deore 6 speed, 50-/34 compact crank, 700 X 32 Gravel Kings for Cino Heroica:

With 650B setup for Tour of Tucson:

Old 04-21-2017, 12:49 PM

its got brake cable clamps,thats old. And there's no rust on the lugs, eh? Bella! You seem to have good access to Italian cycling culture.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:09 PM

Yep, it was made just about a year ago & that's how I wanted it built- Sr. Pelizzoli referred to it as the 'Eroica' bike.

I told him I wanted a frame like he used to build back in the 60's and 70's- top tube cable clamps, over the BB cable routing, pantographing, classic Campagnolo dropouts- but with modern touches like Spirit tubing, two sets of cage mounts, the ability to take up to a 700 x 32 tire, and lotsa chrome.

Last edited by rccardr; 04-21-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:46 PM

rccardr i PM you. Spirit tubes ??
Old 04-23-2017, 02:29 AM

Damn that Eroica bike is nice.
Guess we might as well make this the share your Ciocc thread. Here's my daily rider. 82-ish mockba.

and speaking of signed Picasso's... ;D

Last edited by papalok; 04-23-2017 at 02:45 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giordana93 View Post
This. Unless you find a nut job collector. I love old steel frames but they are usually about as collectible as old beer cans. Find a nice one, treat it right and ride it. That's the only reason to own these old bikes, not to collect signatures like they are Picasso's. Rant over.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I'm so not a collector but I do have some commonsense...I think. Well one thing that kinda gets me though is that wicked devotion/love for the old Mercxk steel on here. Pretty sure they fetch a better price as frame sets than the 200/500$ value mentioned in previous postings. I'm not really sure why though, especially after reading the last post before yours, there is some interesting living history there. I personally find a CIOCC every bit as aesthetically good as a Mercxk, a difference in the ride I have no idea.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:21 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by papalok View Post
Damn that Eroica bike is nice.
Guess we might as well make this the share your Ciocc thread. Here's my daily rider. 82-ish mockba.
I've seen Doc's bike in person and it is gorgeous.

And I'll play....how about one of each?