Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2017, 12:03 PM

OT: car advice

Looking to the well respected well for help! I don't know/care much about cars, but circumstances now have me driving. A lot. For the first time in a VERY long time. It may be long term

I live in town, with very difficult parking and would like to keep it smallish. At the same time, I like stretch out room. My desired car traits, in something resembling priority order are (and I know some are mutually exclusive):

Safe, at least relative

Reliable/minimal maintenance

Affordable repair parts

Long lived

smallish for city - but leg room. Prefer space in back for bike, but can add hitch.

affordable/fuel efficient. low to insure

Enough pick up to do 75 up a hill

Can handle snow/rain (prefer FWD? is this on all cars now?)

Things that shouldn't be considered...

Looks, handling, status.

I'm leaning Honda Civic coupe...but would love to hear other opinions.

I LOVE our Subaru Impreza, but the leg room is cramped for me.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:11 PM

The Honda Fit is very decent, if it has enough room. Superb reliability and mileage. The Civic is great too and a bit more sedan'ish.

Last edited by rnhood; 02-17-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:14 PM

The most reliable car I ever owned was a Camry. installed a receiver hitch for a bike rack and I'd have no qualms buying another one.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:18 PM

Isn't that a full size? Hoping for a bit smaller....hard to park larger cars near me.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:19 PM
Administrator

i think if you want a little more room to spread out, considering your list of other wants, an accord or camry would definitely do you right. these days, the back seats all fold down and fitting a bike in back is no worries. you can drive a honda accord or toyota camry with very basic maintenance practically forever.

in the northeast, rust from the road salt/brine they use lately will kill a honda before the engine dies.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:20 PM

Especially if you want to put stuff (a bike!?) in the back seat, why a coupe?

I'm 6' tall and used to drive my wife's 2005 Toyota Corolla S comfortably. It was nimble with enough acceleration for city driving with excellent gas mileage. Hard to beat a Corolla or Civic for reliability and cost of maintenance/repairs.

I found myself needing to put more miles on a car about 3 years ago. I bought a 2003 Camry XLE with 125k for $6k. It's been super reliable and comfortable. Heated leather seats forever. NEVER going back. If you're cool with a larger car than a Civic I'd consider a Camry or Accord.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 02-17-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:22 PM
Administrator

additionally, and this is unsolicited advice i know, but i'd look into garage or lot space.

it just sounds miserable to be in a city and have to do the street space jockey dance every day. at the end of a long day or tough shift, the last thing you want to do is waste 45 minutes driving around the block looking for a spot. when it snows, it totally sucks, and just the stress of not knowing where the hell you're going to put the car or how far you're willing to park from your place are a huge turnoff.

i know it's expensive, but how much is your time and stress worth?
Old 02-17-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Especially if you want to put stuff (a bike!?) in the back seat, why a coupe?

I'm 6' tall and used to drive my wife's 2005 Toyota Corolla S comfortably.
Please assume I'm totally incompetent and say irrational things with cars (I know, I know...why limit the statement?). I really know squat about cars. The only thing I know less about than cars would be women.

I was thinking coupe under the assumption that it would have more leg room. The putting a bike in back is really not a priority...I'll almost definitely buy a hitch (and have a rack).
Old 02-17-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i think if you want a little more room to spread out, considering your list of other wants, an accord or camry would definitely do you right. these days, the back seats all fold down and fitting a bike in back is no worries. you can drive a honda accord or toyota camry with very basic maintenance practically forever.
Agreed! An Accord would hit all of your requirements and they're not really that big. Another option is the Scion Xb.

Texbike
Old 02-17-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
additionally, and this is unsolicited advice i know, but i'd look into garage or lot space.

it just sounds miserable to be in a city and have to do the street space jockey dance every day. at the end of a long day or tough shift, the last thing you want to do is waste 45 minutes driving around the block looking for a spot. when it snows, it totally sucks, and just the stress of not knowing where the hell you're going to put the car or how far you're willing to park from your place are a huge turnoff.

i know it's expensive, but how much is your time and stress worth?
A garage would mean moving. I looked into spot rental, and there's just nothing convenient.

I'm working 90 hour weeks right now, and likely will until May. It stinks, and the extra 2 hours commute isn't making it better...but it's where I am right now.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron O View Post
A garage would mean moving. I looked into spot rental, and there's just nothing convenient.

I'm working 90 hour weeks right now, and likely will until May. It stinks, and the extra 2 hours commute isn't making it better...but it's where I am right now.
Cot in the office. Or amphetamines and just work all night. Tax sleazin'!

You don't want a coupe. I could be mistaken, but I would wager there is zero difference in legroom between the two and four door models.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 02-17-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:30 PM
Ex-Mr.President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron O View Post
Looking to the well respected well for help! I don't know/care much about cars, but circumstances now have me driving. A lot. For the first time in a VERY long time. It may be long term

I live in town, with very difficult parking and would like to keep it smallish. At the same time, I like stretch out room. My desired car traits, in something resembling priority order are (and I know some are mutually exclusive):

Safe, at least relative

Reliable/minimal maintenance

Affordable repair parts

Long lived

smallish for city - but leg room. Prefer space in back for bike, but can add hitch.

affordable/fuel efficient. low to insure

Enough pick up to do 75 up a hill

Can handle snow/rain (prefer FWD? is this on all cars now?)

Things that shouldn't be considered...

Looks, handling, status.

I'm leaning Honda Civic coupe...but would love to hear other opinions.

I LOVE our Subaru Impreza, but the leg room is cramped for me.

I kept thinking this and then saw you mention it. Done deal. You can have a good used one on the cheap and they last forever
Old 02-17-2017, 12:30 PM

Sounds like a basic VW Golf or Corolla Hatchback would be a good choice for you. Bit more space than the Impreza inside, but still easy to park/get around in.

A Honda Fit could be an option too, but they're smaller than the Impreza you said feels cramped, althought they have great space utilization
Old 02-17-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Cot in the office. Or amphetamines and just work all night. Tax sleazin'!
Seriously. Not sure if I see this as a long term future, but want my letters.

So what am I not getting about coupes?

I've never owned one, but I drove a friend's for a week and liked it a lot.

Last edited by Aaron O; 02-17-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:36 PM
Not a robot

Honda Fit, any year. Done.