Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-26-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
...Seems the legend is the best fitting. You could also put an enve fork on it...
Enve fork might not have the proper rake for the legend.. don't remember for sure but thinking they were quite different.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I would sell them all and buy a custom Spectrum or Baum. You have a bunch of old or mid level titanium bikes here less the yamaguchi. I would sell them all and get a modern top tier ti bike that fits you right.

Fit aside, what is a "modern" Ti frame going to get me that these don't have? Tire clearance? Fatter headtube w integrated headset? And disc brakes? I don't know that I need/want any of those.. If I went custom, it'd be the same style as these, at least for my daily-driver.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:20 AM

I'll echo the other's sentiments. Ride what fits and speaks to you. I have a similar problem, and it'll be a challenge to part with some of them.

Too many duplicated bikes, and while the lady doesn't mind too much, they don't necessarily allow us to quickly respond to life changes.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:20 AM

I went through a similar situation with my bike purchasing over the past three years. This winter I built up a go fast titanium bike, bought a Mxxxxxo and ended up keeping my duende cross as a trail and all road style bike.

3 bikes seems like reasonable amount all things considered and there isn't much overlap between the 3. The premio r is my if the weather is sketchy/climbing/go fast bike with compact geo. The Mxxxxxo fits 28s, is fast, smooth and just about perfect for my all day nice weather needs. My duende fits massive rubber, can go anywhere I wish to take it and I built it up how I wanted to from the beginning.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastashop View Post
If it does not fit, you must not sit (on it)!

Discovering a bike that truly fit made me appreciate the time I wasted on bikes that fulfilled an erroneous idea...

That said, my fit changed over time... yours may also. Except you can't predict which way it'll go (more racy, more leisurely, etc), so rid yourself of unnecessary baggage and ride the one that actually fits. Then when your riding profile or fit changes, get a custom. :-)

I'm glad I didn't go custom 6-9 months ago as this whole process (and the other bikes I've owned and ridden not listed here...there have been many) has helped me get a real-world feel for what fits from a style and size standpoint that two hours with a fitter may not have (or reading reviews). At this point the Legend is closest to what I'd call a perfect all-around fit for me, and the Moots/Yamaguchi closest to a race-day fit. So maybe it's best to keep those around for more testing to inform future "custom" decisions...
Old 06-26-2017, 08:27 AM

You dont mention a budget, so must be limitless Its always so easy to spend other peoples money on the web. My opinion is sell the Moots, Merlin, Holland as they all have fit compromises by your description, and while none will fund your retirement they could fund all or a large part of a top quality custom, figuring 1k +/- each for merlin/Holland framesets, double + for the moots, sell a couple groups/wheels to make up the rest. Then order a Spectrum/Kirk (or insert your builder of choice) to fit what you want a bike to do... or buy a carbon/aluminum race geometry frame if racing. If going the custom route, once that lands sell the Legend as it would likely be redundant.

If you find yourself not using the yamaguchi due to fit, while it's a unique bike (of which there seem to be so many nice unique bikes if you are patient) ... if you could put it into something steel that fits better you end up with a nice fitting unique steel bike instead of just a unique steel bike.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post
Five bikes does not a herd make! More of a small group...

If you 'love all these bikes' as you say, why get rid of any of them? If you have eyes for another bike, just get it and introduce it to 'the family'...

Lols. The herd has to fit the space - you are right though, it's more of a small family

If they all fit, I'd keep all but the true duplicates...but they don't, and I'm seeing that has to be the determining factor in step one of the decision process.

The "love" for each of them is more just appreciation for the styling and craftsmanship, along with a general love for bikes that makes it hard for me not to have good things to say about anything I swing a leg over...
Old 06-26-2017, 08:32 AM

Based on what you wrote, the Legend is the only bike that "works."
Old 06-26-2017, 08:43 AM

It seems to me that the Ti rides are a bit redundant. That said, I would think that the Yamaguchi in that size is a rare find and replacing it with a steel ride as good or better would be hard. I'd suggest pulling a Campy group off another bike, putting it in the Y and sending all but your favoriteTi ride down the road. Or keep them all and buy a house next door to me and give me permission to ride any at will!
Old 06-26-2017, 09:20 AM

keep whatever fits the best, unless it rides like garbage or something.

then figure out why it fits the best, and use that data to inform future purchasing decisions. so you don't again wind up with five pretty similar bikes, most of which only kinda-sorta fit.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:27 AM
bourbon!

What size is the Holland? 59tt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2017, 09:37 AM

I've always wanted to ride a Baum stem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
^Hjoost, if he sells them all he can get about halfway to a Spectrum or buy a Baum stem.
Don't think too much about which bike makes the most sense for whatever reason. Instead keep the bike that has the most mojo when you ride it. You probably already know which one that is.

Instagram
Old 06-26-2017, 09:38 AM

Humm Tough choice. Here is my opinion keep the Yamaguchi for the cool factor and your fast day bike and keep the Serotta for your do it all bike. Sell the others and use the money for new bibs, jersey from Eleven Velo. Take the rest and go on a road trip with the family (or by yourself) to a place you have never been before. This is kind of what I have planned and am saving up for my 60th birthday in a few years a road trip and bike trip to Colorado.
Anyway have a great day.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowgram5 View Post
Enve fork might not have the proper rake for the legend.. don't remember for sure but thinking they were quite different.
The ENVE on the Holland is a 43mm rake, so it'd work, but I'm one of the few people who isn't a big fan of ENVE forks...so it'll be the Ouzo, Alpha, or F3 for the Legend...
Old 06-26-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
What size is the Holland? 59tt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Holland is 60.5TT