Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-25-2017, 11:43 PM

Decisions, decisions - culling the herd

Disclaimer: Yes, I spoiled myself. Yes, all these bikes are great and I'm fortunate to have any of them. And yes, I know I ultimately have to make the decision for myself..

With that out of the way, I'm interested in opinions on managing my stable down to a N=reasonable level, and am as much interested in opinions on individual bikes as I am hearing how others approach such decisions. I love all of these bikes for one reason or another, and if I had to keep one at random, I'd be happy riding it. But that isn't the situation, so I have decisions to make.

Here's what's in the garage, and a bit on how I'm currently feeling about each as I try to split hairs:

(1) Merlin Extralight with ENVE 2.0 - light, stiff, beautiful stays, iconic; race geometry and handling, but with a taller front end relative to my seat height than is probably optimal for me (it'd probably be just right for someone an inch or two taller with more reach).

(2) Holland Ti w ENVE 2.0 or Ouzo Pro - smooth, beautiful, incredible welds, and just amazing craftsmanship; but borderline too big/tall though, which means a shorter stem and rearward weight bias for me, or I go with a zero offset post that puts me a bit more forward - that works fine for cruising and has been comfortable for some decent miles, but seems to compromise my seated climbing

(3) Serotta Legend Ti w Ouzo Pro, Alpha Q, or F3 (maybe) - smooth, springy, stable; all in all just a perfect all-day type fit for me for any types of ride short of racing or dirt

(4) Yamaguchi Team USA - smooth, balanced, fits 27s, unique tubes and brazing, rare bird that won't land again; but the race geometry and long/low fit for me given my shortish reach relative to saddle height keeps it from being a perfect marriage.

(5) Moots Vamoots CR (2011) - only one short ride so far, race-ish geometry, handles well, smooth and quiet, and its got the Moots factor; but it's the most expensive and its more of a speeder-bike for me that wouldn't be a daily-driver given the aggressive fit; it's hard to give it a fair assessment though without more miles, and without riding it with Campy...

Just in typing this out, I think the decision is fairly obvious: keep the Legend Ti. All the rest should probably get released to new homes over time. And I should keep an eye out for some steel to fill the hole left by the Yamaguchi...maybe a CSi, or ?? Plenty of time to sort that out...

Last edited by Clean39T; 06-26-2017 at 12:07 AM.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:49 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Sounds like that's the right decision. Going through a similar process myself and finding that all of these uber bikes have the right stuff but if the fit is off then its a compromise of the bike and if you don't have to live with that well then, you can do better and it sounds like the Legend is the better.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:05 AM

legend
moots
yamaguchi

or sell them all and find your ideal custom fit and build.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:06 AM

No idea, but reading through the list I thought 'keep the Legend Ti'. Then read your concluding comments. Otherwise, not enough information for us to offer anything substantial (such as size, how you ride, how often, general fitness, flexibility, whether you prefer brunettes or blondes or Campagnolo or Shimano or SRAM)... not to mention what saddles suit best, what shoes and pedal system...

Good luck with your deliberations
Old 06-26-2017, 12:39 AM

Not doubling up on bikes that have the same general purpose has made me much more satisfied with the few bikes I have.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:48 AM

I would sell them all and buy a custom Spectrum or Baum. You have a bunch of old or mid level titanium bikes here less the yamaguchi. I would sell them all and get a modern top tier ti bike that fits you right.

Last edited by joosttx; 06-26-2017 at 12:52 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:40 AM

^Hjoost, if he sells them all he can get about halfway to a Spectrum or buy a Baum stem.

OP, keep them all and sell a groupset or two. The Holland and Merlin are essentially worthless. And I mean that in the sense that you probably value your time at above minimum wage and spending two weeks marketing and shipping either frame would be a folly.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:26 AM

If it does not fit, you must not sit (on it)!

Discovering a bike that truly fit made me appreciate the time I wasted on bikes that fulfilled an erroneous idea...

That said, my fit changed over time... yours may also. Except you can't predict which way it'll go (more racy, more leisurely, etc), so rid yourself of unnecessary baggage and ride the one that actually fits. Then when your riding profile or fit changes, get a custom. :-)
Old 06-26-2017, 06:43 AM
Head to Ned

Five bikes does not a herd make! More of a small group...

If you 'love all these bikes' as you say, why get rid of any of them? If you have eyes for another bike, just get it and introduce it to 'the family'...
Old 06-26-2017, 06:49 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Disclaimer: Yes, I spoiled myself. Yes, all these bikes are great and I'm fortunate to have any of them. And yes, I know I ultimately have to make the decision for myself..

With that out of the way, I'm interested in opinions on managing my stable down to a N=reasonable level, and am as much interested in opinions on individual bikes as I am hearing how others approach such decisions. I love all of these bikes for one reason or another, and if I had to keep one at random, I'd be happy riding it. But that isn't the situation, so I have decisions to make.

Here's what's in the garage, and a bit on how I'm currently feeling about each as I try to split hairs:

(1) Merlin Extralight with ENVE 2.0 - light, stiff, beautiful stays, iconic; race geometry and handling, but with a taller front end relative to my seat height than is probably optimal for me (it'd probably be just right for someone an inch or two taller with more reach).

(2) Holland Ti w ENVE 2.0 or Ouzo Pro - smooth, beautiful, incredible welds, and just amazing craftsmanship; but borderline too big/tall though, which means a shorter stem and rearward weight bias for me, or I go with a zero offset post that puts me a bit more forward - that works fine for cruising and has been comfortable for some decent miles, but seems to compromise my seated climbing

(3) Serotta Legend Ti w Ouzo Pro, Alpha Q, or F3 (maybe) - smooth, springy, stable; all in all just a perfect all-day type fit for me for any types of ride short of racing or dirt

(4) Yamaguchi Team USA - smooth, balanced, fits 27s, unique tubes and brazing, rare bird that won't land again; but the race geometry and long/low fit for me given my shortish reach relative to saddle height keeps it from being a perfect marriage.

(5) Moots Vamoots CR (2011) - only one short ride so far, race-ish geometry, handles well, smooth and quiet, and its got the Moots factor; but it's the most expensive and its more of a speeder-bike for me that wouldn't be a daily-driver given the aggressive fit; it's hard to give it a fair assessment though without more miles, and without riding it with Campy...

Just in typing this out, I think the decision is fairly obvious: keep the Legend Ti. All the rest should probably get released to new homes over time. And I should keep an eye out for some steel to fill the hole left by the Yamaguchi...maybe a CSi, or ?? Plenty of time to sort that out...
What size? Got a nice 57cm Merckx Century FS...
Old 06-26-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
What size? Got a nice 57cm Merckx Century FS...
His bikes are all 59ish in top tube.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:01 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowgram5 View Post
His bikes are all 59ish in top tube.
use a 14cm stem!! kidding thanks

But if it were me, I'd keep the Moots and Yamaguchi....
Old 06-26-2017, 07:16 AM

I'd sell the ones that don't fit (four in total?) So you're left with the Serotta.

Then buy a nice light carbon bike that fits, and a steel bike that fits. Can't beat a bit of variety.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:58 AM
aka RAEKWON

I would keep the one that fits the best. Thats the smart move.

As far as brands go though, I would absolutely keep the guchi, thats the only one that is hard to replace and to me by far the coolest bike you have. However if it doesnt fit well, out with it.

Seems the legend is the best fitting. You could also put an enve fork on it.

You oregon guys on a tear this past year, btw you and Mizilliox, yall get new bikes weekly but interestingly enough you dont have a single pnw bike (and I have 3 )
Old 06-26-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustychisel View Post
No idea, but reading through the list I thought 'keep the Legend Ti'. Then read your concluding comments. Otherwise, not enough information for us to offer anything substantial (such as size, how you ride, how often, general fitness, flexibility, whether you prefer brunettes or blondes or Campagnolo or Shimano or SRAM)... not to mention what saddles suit best, what shoes and pedal system...

Good luck with your deliberations

Thanks. I said nothing of the groups, wheels, or finishing kit because whatever gets kept will have my favorite stuff moved over to it: Record 11, Deda 35, and Campy factory wheels w a handbuilt backup.