Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2017, 10:47 AM

America's Cup

Any AC fans here?

I miss the days of the big one-design single-hulls.

While the new AC45 boats are technologically amazing--and watching a boat that big tack under full foil is mind-boggling, part of me pines for the Dennis Conner days (even the bizarre 1988 campaign).

NZ up 3-0 (next two races in about 1.5h) even though they've won 4. So wacky.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:53 AM
You still here?

I'm not a sailor but like to watch the AC. The TV commentary that explains the techniques and tactics makes me appreciate the competition all the more.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:06 AM

Long tlme fan here. I too prefer the era before the multi-hulls. Also preferred it when the teams and designs were national rather than corporate. U.S. team with U.S. designed and constructed boat vs. Aussi team...etc.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:14 AM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave thompson View Post
I'm not a sailor but like to watch the AC. The TV commentary that explains the techniques and tactics makes me appreciate the competition all the more.
Same here. Back in the single-hull, shockingly secret winged keel era I became addicted to ESPN's end-to-end coverage. I'm sure the people in my life were thrilled to hear me exclaim about a squiggly line on the sail tracker.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:16 PM
v a n i l l a

Firstly, enough of Todd Harris.
He anchored the womens WC at Squaw.
Now the AC.
Next month le tour.

However, his co-anchors are way better commentating on the AC than Bobbke and VdV are on the tour.

The race graphics are awesome

I went to the races in SF in 2013 when the boats were much bigger. and faster. seeing one go 50mph on water was insane.

Oracle is done unless the wind speed increases. in the light air, NZ makes no mistakes and has faster boat speed. Oracle was close in race 2 but gaffed the a jibe and lost 300m in a blink. they've blown two starts.

and lets not forget NZ pitched the boat and cracked their main in the prelim.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:42 PM
Vendor

Haven't watched since they switched ship designs. Love the older ones.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

I liked the to watch the older boats and I like the new ones also. Completely different racing but it's still sailing and fun to watch. Todd Harris is just trying commentate when he isn't an expert -that's the job of the co-commentators.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:21 PM

12 meters for me too...
Old 06-24-2017, 03:01 PM

Fun to watch but I also miss the old days. My dad was business partners with Bill Ficker (1970 winner - Intrepid ). In the 80's Dennis Conner asked Bill to practice with him and I was able to get a tour of Stars and Stripes then we went out to watch them race. Super thrilling as a 14-15 yo. *RIP Bill. He passed away earlier this year.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:17 PM

Before my time but I suspect this (J-class) was the heyday of the America's Cup
Attached Images
File Type: jpg History1.jpg (73.8 KB, 213 views)
Old 06-24-2017, 04:39 PM

J class boats were pretty but it's the 12 meter boats that define the heyday.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:32 PM

Is this on tv/replays? Where?
Old 06-24-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
Is this on tv/replays? Where?
NBCSN - Sunday and Monday
Old 06-24-2017, 06:36 PM

Having raced 6m, the 12 m little brothers, as well as doing a fair amount of match racing in the past, I have to say I thought the cats would not match race well-I was wrong-40+ knots is awesome and I like the format a lot. But the whole AC is broken-boats and sailors have zero to do with any nation in reality. I am also ambivalent about the latest hydraulic power storage. The grinders/cylcors no longer have to have any sailing skill and are essentially galley slaves and by the next cup, there will be three world class cyclists and a couple sailors. Top level sailing has always required well conditioned grinders, but now there is none stop grinding with no relation to sail or rig control other than to provide power. I would just assume see an engine and 3 guys on the boat.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:05 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrudoff View Post
Having raced 6m, the 12 m little brothers, as well as doing a fair amount of match racing in the past, I have to say I thought the cats would not match race well-I was wrong-40+ knots is awesome and I like the format a lot. But the whole AC is broken-boats and sailors have zero to do with any nation in reality. I am also ambivalent about the latest hydraulic power storage. The grinders/cylcors no longer have to have any sailing skill and are essentially galley slaves and by the next cup, there will be three world class cyclists and a couple sailors. Top level sailing has always required well conditioned grinders, but now there is none stop grinding with no relation to sail or rig control other than to provide power. I would just assume see an engine and 3 guys on the boat.
I'm a bit ambivalent about the hydro aspect too. galley slaves (= ben-hur) is right. further evidence- look at all the buttons on the wheel - supposedly spithill etc are pushing those buttons every second to continuously adjust the foils and the wings.

its really too bad that the AC and City of SF relationship is strained...sitting on the rocks and watching those AC75's blast past meters away was a sight to behold.

well, at least Oracle got one back. but they are going to have to throw two days of shutouts to really be back in it.