Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-15-2017, 12:16 PM

If you had a Serotta Legend but want electronic shifting

I love my Serotta Legend and have vowed that I would never part with this bike. I also have a Waterford backup bike that is geat but I never ride unless the Serotta is not available.

However, I am considering electronic shifting and have been advised and read how badly Di2 will look on the Serotta and told it would be best to purchase a whole new bike with internal routing. What would you do? Install Di2 and not worry how it looks? Drill holes in the Legend? Purchase a new bike?

If you purchased a new bike and wanted a great riding all arounder, what would you recommend?

If I decided to spring for eTap, how would it look on the Serotta? Wish for a lower gear than 34/28.

Last edited by dekindy; 06-15-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:19 PM

I'd do e-tap. Will look fine.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:32 PM

I put eTap on my Vamoots and it looked just fine, even with the cable stops still there but unused.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35160096252_7eb089e67a_h.jpg (142.8 KB, 578 views)
Old 06-15-2017, 12:40 PM
v a n i l l a

No matter which electric group you choose the cable stops remain. It is what it is and soon enough you won't notice the lacks cables

If mine I would not drill the frame. I would not tape wires to the frame. I would go eTap.
There was a lot of discussion on drilling legend ti for Di2 wires here some years ago - the triple butting was the reason not to.

If you haven't tried eTap it takes about 100 yards to get the hang of the shifting. I rode my friends C60 with eTap. On my first ride I had two mis-shifts in three hours.

BTW JasonF has set up eTAP in the configuration preferred by many of the high-end shops around here (as well as Above Category) which is the eTAP electronic pieces mated to Camapgnolo cranks, chain and cassette.

Last edited by pdmtong; 06-15-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:46 PM
Administrator

i too personally wouldnt drill holes in my Legend.

most reports are that the eTap stuff works great, i think you would be fine going that direction.

additionally, i have to believe both shimano and campy will get on board with wireless shifting before too long. if cost is the issue with eTap, i would bet there will be a force/rival edition of the wireless before too long too. unless your current kit is totally worn out, maybe wait it out another year or two and see what develops in terms of other wireless kit?
Old 06-15-2017, 01:47 PM
Riding Along

Get Di2 or Campy EPS and run the cables and battery externally. It is not a big deal and it can be done cleanly. You are not going to see any of it when you are riding. No need to drill and no need for wireless if you prefer the hood shapes of Shimano or Campy.

Last edited by Black Dog; 06-15-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:53 PM

if electronic shifting you must have than eTap seems like a really great option. the extra cable stops won't be too big of a deal. If you really like it then you can get somebody professional to grind off the extra bits no longer needed later.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:58 PM

I wouldn't drill the Legend. in fact, I wouldn't drill any frame now that a wireless option exists. I mean, you gotta REALLY hate Sram and REALLY want electronic shifting to stomach drilling holes in an older frame. especially something like a Legend.

so just go eTap. it'll work fine, despite what I'm sure many here will lead you to believe. and it'll look fine; way better than taping wires to your frame. also, there are wifli options, so you can run a bigger cassette if you want.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:17 PM

this was something I was thinking about.
for the cost of etap I bought a used bike in great condition with Di2. (got it off here, sans wheels). BUT I GOT A WHOLE BIKE!
I then got a mechanical DA 9000 shift kit for the my Legend Ti from the UK for less than 500 bucks. Love riding both!
etap will happen on my next bike...no rush.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:50 PM

I took my di2 group of a beautiful deRosa Dual and it looked fine on the deRosa. The wires tape to the bottom of the downtube and are barely noticeable. The di2 specific tape kit is inexpensive. While my battery is on the top of the downtube below the water bottle cage, I have recently seen external batteries mounted below the non-drive side chainstay, which is a better look. You'd probably have to get a little creeative to make that work. Ultegra 10 speed di2 is cheap cheap cheap and well worth it. eTap looks awesome but is pricey pricey pricey.

CaptStash....
Old 06-15-2017, 09:20 PM

eTap is easy to mount and adjust. It works great.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:45 AM

I'd drill it for Di2.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:58 AM
Proud Grandpa

I think decide which electronic group you want. I wouldn't discount drilling.

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/06/a-sp...lo-athena-eps/

I talked to frame builders, they said, 'no problema'..talk to the guys that may have built your serotta.

When in the shop and people couldn't decide on group..I always said, 'test the lever shape, use the one you like'..if you can't decide, buy Campagnolo..same for electronic.
2 levers/thumb button(droopy)-Campag, 2 smaller buttons-Di2, 'different' shifting protocol-one shift lever-sram..
Old 06-16-2017, 01:24 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I think decide which electronic group you want. I wouldn't discount drilling.

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/06/a-sp...lo-athena-eps/

I talked to frame builders, they said, 'no problema'..talk to the guys that may have built your serotta.

When in the shop and people couldn't decide on group..I always said, 'test the lever shape, use the one you like'..if you can't decide, buy Campagnolo..same for electronic.
2 levers/thumb button(droopy)-Campag, 2 smaller buttons-Di2, 'different' shifting protocol-one shift lever-sram..
there are plenty of threads in the past around the time Di2 was introduced about drilling serotta frames. ottrott was ok into the head tube lug, legend was not ok due to triple butting. ...while it may work, the tiny chance it may not work will toast the frame for you and for resale.

the factory was pretty adamant about this, and not because they were heads buried in the sand hoping electric was a passing fad.

we all have our aesthetic and mfg preferences.

having ridden all three e-groups, I am in the camp that you get used to whatever you are on, and quickly. the only time I get goofed moving between groups is after months on campy when its time for cx, my thumb goes for the paddle thats not there in the first 500 yards from my house. after that, no issue.

the etap hoods I think are really nicely shaped. again, try it and see for yourself. there has to be a specialized dealer near by that will let you roll an s-works around the parking lot.

Old 06-16-2017, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Do what Matt did, use conductive paint:

Starting at post #67...
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showth...=159595&page=5

William