Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2017, 11:18 AM

Endpoint Hunter/Gatherer

Pretty solid support of this from some devoted Elephant NFE folks from what I can tell lurking another forum. Intel seems limited, no pics yet but sounds like first round of orders will be done in next couple months or so. Could be worth a look if you're in the market. Looks like they do some nice work and I love this style frame, no affiliation

http://rideendpoint.com/products/fbm...unter-gatherer

Last edited by Stevemikesteve; 02-03-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:26 AM
it's all nuts!!

dear mr. steve mike or steve,
they indeed appear interesting. my list of bikes to hunt for wheels has grown by one. time to gather nuts...and that is not nuts! Nuk nuk nuk!

mr. squirrel
Old 02-04-2017, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemikesteve View Post
Pretty solid support of this from some devoted Elephant NFE folks from what I can tell lurking another forum. Intel seems limited, no pics yet but sounds like first round of orders will be done in next couple months or so. Could be worth a look if you're in the market. Looks like they do some nice work and I love this style frame, no affiliation

http://rideendpoint.com/products/fbm...unter-gatherer
Yup. Similar tubing (both TT 28.6/8-5-8 top tubes), disc, low trail, all manner of fittings. A bit cheaper at $1000 ff. and less wait- NFE currently at 8+ months. Pre-order ended Monday for this batch. There were some pictures of the first prototype on the radavist i think.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:58 AM

Has anyone laid hands or eyes on one of these Endpoint Hunter Gatherers? Any input on how it compares to an Elephant NFE (aesthetics, TA, slightly higher BB and trail)? How about feedback on Ride Endpoint bikes themselves?
Old 06-07-2017, 11:32 AM
aka RAEKWON

I like what Endpoint is doing. They came out with a concept, took preorders, got the bikes made and have now shipped a bunch to their clients.

Nicely run operation. I have talked to Braden via email a few times (thought about buying a coffee grinder), nice guy, very responsive.

The Hunter/Gatherer seems awesome and if I did not have an elephant I would have most likely had preordered one. Not sure how it compares to the elephant and I do like the way the elephant looks better (at least the old fork version) but I like the colors of the hunter/gatherer and I like the updates (TA).

Can't wait to hear opinions of people that have receive theirs.

This is the first built one, looks pretty good to me. That clear purple is cool

Old 06-07-2017, 11:38 AM
Imshi Cycles

that is a VERY cool frame, love the design and that FBM is making them.
i am tempted to snag one myself.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBAUMANN View Post
that is a VERY cool frame, love the design and that FBM is making them.
i am tempted to snag one myself.
Didn't you at one point own an Endpoint? If so, what was your opinion on quality and execution?
Old 06-07-2017, 11:48 AM
You still here?

Elephant, which is local to me, seems to be a hard company to deal with, curt short answers, not terribly interested in their (potential) customers. They turned me off a couple of years ago when I contacted and talked to them several times about a frame. Not bad guys, just no vibe for me.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:04 PM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
Didn't you at one point own an Endpoint? If so, what was your opinion on quality and execution?
nope, i did not, but i am familiar with FBM's work, would not hesitate to buy anything that came out of their shop.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:58 PM

Endpoint and FBM produce awesome frames. My Coffee Grinder is one of those frames that disappear under you.

Geometry is spot on and quality is fantastic.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:21 PM

Non-aesthetic, price, lead-time differences as I see it are:

- 5mm higher BB
- 9mm taller AtC
- TA vs QR
- DT vs TT derailleur cable routing

Are any of these truly significant?
Old 06-07-2017, 02:51 PM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
Non-aesthetic, price, lead-time differences as I see it are:

- 5mm higher BB
- 9mm taller AtC
- TA vs QR
- DT vs TT derailleur cable routing

Are any of these truly significant?
Yes.

- The higher BB is a little odd to me...as this frame is clearly designed more for dirt road touring type stuff...I guess maybe they think some people will take it on trails too? Need for more ground clearance? I would have probably spec'd it with 70mm drop, but hey, splitting hairs a bit there, its 5mm.

- The A-C is not a big deal...unless you wanted to swap in another fork.

- TA is a big selling point for me here, because every other disc bike i have (4 of em) is 15mm/142x12 TA at this point, nice to be able to swap around wheels.

- Routing on the DT is better if you want to use "gas tank" and/or "jerry can" style frame bags on the top tube...which I would highly recommend if you ever want to do any bikepacking with the thing.

So yes, overall, I would say these differences are significant.

Significant enough that I have no interest in owning a NFE (because its QR) and am very seriously considering grabbing one of these (because it isnt).
Old 06-07-2017, 03:03 PM
aka RAEKWON

I like the TT cable routing on my NFE but I have to say, if I had a choice I would go DT.

TA is great but I am sure some will say that increasing stiffness in the fork will rob from the flex of the blades, yada yada. Maybe? maybe not?

I wish the hunter had direct mount brakes, because it seems everyone is ditching post mount and its a "new frame".
Old 06-07-2017, 03:09 PM

One of our forum members has already built one up.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVDKfCtA...en-by=flynnsaw
Old 06-07-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBAUMANN View Post
Yes.

- The higher BB is a little odd to me...as this frame is clearly designed more for dirt road touring type stuff...I guess maybe they think some people will take it on trails too? Need for more ground clearance? I would have probably spec'd it with 70mm drop, but hey, splitting hairs a bit there, its 5mm.

- The A-C is not a big deal...unless you wanted to swap in another fork.

- TA is a big selling point for me here, because every other disc bike i have (4 of em) is 15mm/142x12 TA at this point, nice to be able to swap around wheels.

- Routing on the DT is better if you want to use "gas tank" and/or "jerry can" style frame bags on the top tube...which I would highly recommend if you ever want to do any bikepacking with the thing.
So yes, overall, I would say these differences are significant.

Significant enough that I have no interest in owning a NFE (because its QR) and am very seriously considering grabbing one of these (because it isnt).
Great feedback, thanks.

The BB height is puzzling to me as well and I ride 180 cranks. It is my primary negative with this machine, but as you mention 5mm is splitting hairs.

I'm new to discs and you bring up a good point, why build a wheelset (or two) that most likely won't be compatible with any other bike I ultimately buy? I assume at this time 15mm is still the choice up front (they offer both a 12mm and 15mm, as well as QR, fork)?