Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-20-2017, 12:34 PM

I was on my way to putting deposit on the Alfa Quadrifoglio until they decided to bring in only the paddle shifter to US rather than the manual transmission.

I know, I know, computer shifting is more precise than human shifting etc, but the manual was what I would have loved. I got another brand with PDK instead of Alfa and will look for another with manual transmission. Alfa's lost customer.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:46 PM

Manual is tough to sell in the US.

Jeff
Old 06-20-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
Yes they do. I've collected a number of tickets over the years for that very reason....

Texbike
Man, you can't put a plate on that. If you can afford the car, you can afford the fine. At least once.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:16 PM

I committed to the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio today. It is out of town so I will probably fly to Houston and pick it up this week.

Here is a photo of my first new car (second car I owned) - 1974 Alfa GTV 2000.
This is not a photo of my car but it is the same color and the same after market wheels I had. I went without a car for the first 9 months out of law school so I could buy this car in the fall of 1975. I drove it hard for over 8 years and then moved to AZ and sold it as it did not have air conditioning.

I have bid on a couple of 2000 GTVs on Ebay, but when I have been the high bidder the bids did not meet the reserve.

[IMG][/IMG]

Photos of Quadrafoglio to come after I pick it up.

See Post three down; no longer buying the Alfa

Jeff

Last edited by jlwdm; 06-24-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Want Sachs? View Post
I was on my way to putting deposit on the Alfa Quadrifoglio until they decided to bring in only the paddle shifter to US rather than the manual transmission.

I know, I know, computer shifting is more precise than human shifting etc, but the manual was what I would have loved. I got another brand with PDK instead of Alfa and will look for another with manual transmission. Alfa's lost customer.
Let me get this right. You really wanted an Alfa but they didn't offer a stick shift so you bought a car you didn't want as much as the Alfa and it has an automatic?
Old 06-24-2017, 04:57 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post
Here is a photo of my first new car (second car I owned) - 1974 Alfa GTV 2000.
Congratulations, Jeff

My '73 GTV and I welcome you back to the Alfa family.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:46 PM

Now I am not buying the car. They sent me the paperwork and added a $5000 market adjustment without disclosing it. They said the internet shows the MSRP, but there is a market adjustment for all Giulia Quadrifoglios. This was never mentioned including today when I quoted the price again. On the Giulia Quadrifoglio forum most buyers are paying MSRP.

I told them I would never buy a car from them. So stay away from:

Northside Imports Houston
Spring TX

I just got a text from Brandon saying "Perception is reality, and I understand that may be your perception. However price was never discussed." But it was discussed.

Jeff

Last edited by jlwdm; 06-26-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Now I am not buying the car. They sent me the paperwork and added a $5000 market adjustment without disclosing it. They said the internet shows the MSRP, but there is a market adjustment for all Giulia Quadrifoglios. This was never mentioned including today when I quoted the price again. On the Giulia Quadrifoglio forum most buyers are paying MSRP.

Spring TX
Brandon Roth: salesperson
Ryan Flores: Manager

I just got a text from Brandon saying "Perception is reality, and I understand that may be your perception. However price was never discussed." But it was discussed.

Jeff
Good move Jeff. That's total BS.

I can't think of anyone that wouldn't piss off. Brandon should start looking for a new job outside of sales if he thinks sneaking that through without warning the buyer upfront is going to fly. I don't care what the total price is, $5k still buys a pretty damned nice bike.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:

Spring TX

Jeff

Wow so Brandon is a douche.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:00 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Crooks.

The only way to put a stop to that sort of game is for more people like you to walk away from the deal when they try to pull stuff like that.

If you ever communicate with them again tell them that from now one whenever you talk to anyone in your area about cars and / or Alfas you're going to warn them about Northside and what they tried to do to you. Plus, there's always Yelp and Google Reviews - people do read those and you can have an impact.

Well, hopefully you can find another dealer that isn't too far away from you that will treat you fairly, and maybe after the initial buying rush is over they'll be less likely to pull that sort of cr@p.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:01 PM

It's even doubly scummy when Alfa can't give away Giulia's in the US, including the Quadrifoglio.

http://jalopnik.com/no-one-wants-to-...lia-1796219373
Old 06-24-2017, 11:14 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

This isn't on par with what they tried to do with the OP, but when I bought my Subaru a few years ago I had a verbal agreement on the price with the salesman. When I went back a few days later to put a deposit down and sign the papers (they were going to have to order it for me) they added some $300 or so in additional charges. I told them that if they wanted me to buy the car from them, they were going to have to take those charges off. They said they had to be there, that they were "standard fees." I told them "It's up to you, there are other Subaru dealerships in town." Finally, they reduced the price of the car by $300 (or whatever it was) and added the fees in a separate line.

In then end, after waiting several more weeks than what the salesman said it would take for them to have the car on the lot, I went in, demanded my $2000 deposit back, and left with a check in hand.

After all that, I got the car I wanted (I was looking for a manual, and there aren't many of those) from a dealership in Wichita, who put it on a transporter and shipped it to me in St Louis.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Spring TX

Jeff
Total BS
You did the right thing.

Really do take the time to review them on Yelp and Google reviews. It is a service to other potential customers, enough so that you may warn away a few .
I've also found that many companies will have someone whose job it is to look at the reviews. Twice now I've gotten a call from the boss asking how to make things right. You never know.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:58 AM
Vendor

Good for you on walking away. The last time I bought a new car the salesperson sneaked in $400 for "door guards." When I called him out on it, he explained that it was a protective molding applied to all the edges of their cars. I had him walk me out to look at it. It was this dinky plastic strip going down the edge of the door. I told him to take it off. He said he couldn't because it was mounted using a permanent adhesive. They had another model (different color) and I said I wanted to take a look at it. He said it also had the protective moldings. I insisted and guess what . . . no protective molding! After I told him I'd take that one, the protective moldings somehow became removable.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:31 AM

I guess the relatively meager number of Alfa dealers makes it awkward to go to another dealer to get a fair deal. Even if you did that to get the car, where would one have to go for service and warranty work?