Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-26-2017, 07:34 AM

Thanks everybody, I will be updating the blog as I go (at least, so I am telling myself.. we'll see if I can stick to it. Going phone only, so I bought a full size folding bluetooth keyboard.)

I'm sure it will be an adventure no matter what. My practice trips definitely never went the way I thought they were gonna go, so definitely expecting to improvise (heck, if we have another heat wave, I may end up in canada!)
Old 06-26-2017, 07:45 AM
aka RAEKWON

Second water filtration system. Not as important if the motorbike is close enough but for those long days in the middle of nowhere. Last year my buddy and I went on a weekend trip and brought plenty of water. Of course he lost the big bottle that was our emergency stash, 1.5l bottle. It got hotter than we thought woyld be, get to the place we going to camp and barely any water left, I looked at him and asked, where is the other bottle.... he looks at me like dang, oops. Damn thing rolled down the side of the mountain as we were climbing. We were too tired to go back down so we camped up and suffered all night long. Next day rolled down and found a dam, filtered some water, made some coffee. Happy. Wont ride those kind of camping rides without one.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:48 AM

Two things that might be nice to have in case of wheel trouble:

Flexible spoke replacement kit: http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fiberfix.php

Mini cassette lock tool, second item here: http://www.jastein.com/Html/Tools_for_Wheels.htm

They're tiny, but could be very useful.

Sounds like it will be a great adventure! Have fun!

Chris
Old 06-26-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Second water filtration system. Not as important if the motorbike is close enough but for those long days in the middle of nowhere. Last year my buddy and I went on a weekend trip and brought plenty of water. Of course he lost the big bottle that was our emergency stash, 1.5l bottle. It got hotter than we thought woyld be, get to the place we going to camp and barely any water left, I looked at him and asked, where is the other bottle.... he looks at me like dang, oops. Damn thing rolled down the side of the mountain as we were climbing. We were too tired to go back down so we camped up and suffered all night long. Next day rolled down and found a dam, filtered some water, made some coffee. Happy. Wont ride those kind of camping rides without one.
If you aren't planning on needing to treat your water, a chemical treatment system is easier to carry. I've used Aqua Mira with good results: Aqua Mira
Old 06-26-2017, 08:00 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp43 View Post
If you aren't planning on needing to treat your water, a chemical treatment system is easier to carry. I've used Aqua Mira with good results: Aqua Mira
We used a sawyer system. Not as compact as what you posted but was very small and light.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:02 AM

I should inventory my "adventure seat pack" packing list, but it also includes an emergency water filter, e-blanket, and NOAA certified PLB (Personal Locating Beacon.)

I've done a few solo rides where it was impractical to hike out before dark if I had a mechanical, so I try to be prepared to overnight if required (which is probably overkill, but I'd rather have it and not need it!)

I have a flexi-spoke in there too. That mini-lock ring tool looks very tidy for my travel kit (not on the bike itself) - thanks for the link.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:13 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
Gummy bears.
The special kind made in Colorado.

Check your oil periodically. Trust me, I learned the hard way.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:22 AM

Add a small Bic lighter to your adventure seat pack if you don't already have one in it.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:53 AM
Byron

Thanks Weisan. Dennis good luck on your outing. You must spend many hours answering questions about your travel vehicle choice.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:33 PM

small pair of good quality binoculars. Always something on the far side of the valley, or further down the canyon that I want to see.