Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-26-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Most bicycles today lack the pump peg and horizontal top tube that makes carrying a full sized frame pump practical; hence the mini pump. Pumps are limited to simple physics. The smaller the diameter of the barrel, the less force it takes to pump tires to high pressure. The longer the barrel, the less strokes required.
That is all true. But there are a few mini-pumps that aren't much smaller than full size frame pumps, but that also have other features make pumping to high pressures easier. I'm speaking specifically of frame mounted mini-pumps that convert to floor pumps, such as the Topeak Mini-morph or the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive. These pumps allow the rider to pump much harder than standard mini-pumps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Anyone know of a pump that pushes more volume at low pressure and less at high so that you pump the tire up faster and you can achieve high pressure?
Here are several:

https://www.blackburndesign.com/pump...mini-pump.html

https://www.crankbrothers.com/pumps_sterling-l

https://www.crankbrothers.com/pumps_gem-l
Old 08-22-2017, 11:13 AM
v a n i l l a

And now with blue tooth pressure gauge. Pretty slick I have to say.

The idea for TATTICO Bluetooth came after we received numerous requests from riders asking us to design a mini-pump that featured a reliable gauge while also staying small enough and sleek enough to remain a true mini-pump. Using our already popular tactical pump TATTICO as a starting point, we partnered with Bluetooth to create a pressure sensor that transmits tire pressure data to your Apple or Android device in real time via an app called iGauge.

https://silca.cc/pages/tattico-bluetooth-mini-pump
Old 08-22-2017, 12:05 PM

Slick, yeah real slick, I can't imagine how we ever were able to pump up tires in the last 100 years without bluetooth technology in a pump. This is such a stupid idea, all they had to do was put a pressure gauge in the pump like some have been doing for years, I don't need to pull out my cell phone every time I need to pump my tires up, I'm sorry but this is an example of technology gone too far just so they can make you pay $120 for a damn mini pump, I guess Silca knows that some people have more money than brains.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froze View Post
Slick, yeah real slick, I can't imagine how we ever were able to pump up tires in the last 100 years without bluetooth technology in a pump. This is such a stupid idea, all they had to do was put a pressure gauge in the pump like some have been doing for years, I don't need to pull out my cell phone every time I need to pump my tires up, I'm sorry but this is an example of technology gone too far just so they can make you pay $120 for a damn mini pump, I guess Silca knows that some people have more money than brains.
Remember, we're talking about a company that sells the $475 SuperPista Ultimate PLUS Floor Pump.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Remember, we're talking about a company that sells the $475 SuperPista Ultimate PLUS Floor Pump.
I remember all too well. The funny thing is I use to have Super Pista that I bought in the mid 70's, and I remember when I bought it that I didn't think the price was crazy high, about normal in fact, yet now they pushed the boundaries of space with their pricing on their stuff, why is that? Because I think they think that cyclists are like tourist and Silca is going to do the tourist trap thing and far overcharge for their stuff, all these wealthy corporate types have moved from golfing to cycling and the companies know so the prices go through the roof. There is no where near even $50 worth of materials in the new Super Pista Ultimate Plus, I bet it doesn't pump better air, or pump air better than my Birzman I got for $55.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:15 PM

This video tests the Silca Tattico Bluetooth pump: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A92F2h1ALI0 This guy is fairly strong individual yet he was only able to get to 100 with a great deal of effort, including breaks along the way. The Lezyne Road Drive large version I get to 110 psi with what appears to be less effort then he does at 100, but at least it gets to 100, most mini's top out at around 75 psi no matter what the box the pump came in claims it can reach. A lot of pumps including Lezyne claim they can reach 160 PSI according to the packaging, I have yet to find a mini pump, a half frame pump (Topeak Road Morph), or a full frame pump that can reach 160 psi.

I think the Silca pump is simply too expensive for what it does, and again Bluetooth? really? This is obviously a marketing ploy to get techies to buy fancy but useless stuff. A simple gauge built into the pump would have worked just fine, in fact they could have put a digital gauge where the end cap is and do away with the phone.

Of course I don't see the point of buying a $450 floor pump either! If a $70 floor pump is good for most bike shops then I think a $70 pump is good enough for us. Silca is all about stealing your money and laughing all the way to the bank. Their HX1 tools they want to sell you that come in a fancy wood box is a joke, you can find those all day long at home improvement places for less than $30 that will come with more hex keys then what Silca gives you but minus the fancy wood box...who needs a wood box? probably nerds who would never use the tools anyways and just display them! I seriously doubt that you'll find one professional bike shop using those tools just like you won't find one using a $450 pump. Professional auto mechanics use more expensive tools then the average do it yourselfer would buy, they get Snap On and a couple of others that deliver on trucks, but even those tools aren't ultra expensive like the Silca; most professional bike mechanics use the Park line of tools, this would be similar to the Snap On line of tools for auto mechanics, and even the Park hex tools aren't anywhere near the price of the Silca! So again why use something a lot more expensive then the pro mechanics use? Of course like Snap On Park has a lifetime warranty.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:19 PM

I can't remember the last time I put more than 90-95psi in a 25c tire- maybe for riding gravel on skinny tires? And Silca makes nice things for people who like nice bike things. At least half my winter miles are on a banged up old gas pipe hoopty commuter bike I found on a curbside and converted to a fixie- it makes me smile. I also have a new impero frame pump that I paid full retail and paid extra for the matching paint with a new custom frame. It also makes me smile. Silca is good people with good stuff- you can find cheaper stuff that works fine as well, choices are good. The true test is, can you whack a charging pitbull with a Topeak? You could with the impero!
Old 12-07-2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennmotion View Post
I can't remember the last time I put more than 90-95psi in a 25c tire- maybe for riding gravel on skinny tires? And Silca makes nice things for people who like nice bike things. At least half my winter miles are on a banged up old gas pipe hoopty commuter bike I found on a curbside and converted to a fixie- it makes me smile. I also have a new impero frame pump that I paid full retail and paid extra for the matching paint with a new custom frame. It also makes me smile. Silca is good people with good stuff- you can find cheaper stuff that works fine as well, choices are good. The true test is, can you whack a charging pitbull with a Topeak? You could with the impero!
The bluetooth mini pump may be rugged but it also weighs a lot, and most people who ride nice bikes and want nice crap to hang on the nice bikes won't want a heavy pump to add to their ultralight CF bike that weighed 13 pounds, no instead they would get a lighter mini because that's why they bought a light bike, not to deck it out with heavy gear and make the bike heavy.

I'm not saying that the Silca isn't a decent pump, but it's not worth the price they charge for the pumps and tools. I bet you the pro Park tools will last just as long as the Silca tools, and the same for their floor pump. Look man, Silca simply jumped on the gouge the cycling community bandwagon that a lot of other companies have done. Their track pump that sells for $450 is NOT as durable as Giant's Control Tower Pro floor pump, how do I know this? The Giant is the only pump to use an outside tube with another inside tube (barrel in a barrel), so if the outside gets dented it protects the internals you can still use the pump, this pump cost only $100. There is nothing to brag about when it comes to Silca, they simply are gouging the public because they know there are fools born that will spend a lot of money for a false perception of a quality product as long as all the glitter is there to sell it.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
The bluetooth mini pump may be rugged but it also weighs a lot, and most people who ride nice bikes and want nice crap to hang on the nice bikes won't want a heavy pump to add to their ultralight CF bike that weighed 13 pounds, no instead they would get a lighter mini because that's why they bought a light bike, not to deck it out with heavy gear and make the bike heavy.

I'm not saying that the Silca isn't a decent pump, but it's not worth the price they charge for the pumps and tools. I bet you the pro Park tools will last just as long as the Silca tools, and the same for their floor pump. Look man, Silca simply jumped on the gouge the cycling community bandwagon that a lot of other companies have done. Their track pump that sells for $450 is NOT as durable as Giant's Control Tower Pro floor pump, how do I know this? The Giant is the only pump to use an outside tube with another inside tube (barrel in a barrel), so if the outside gets dented it protects the internals you can still use the pump, this pump cost only $100. There is nothing to brag about when it comes to Silca, they simply are gouging the public because they know there are fools born that will spend a lot of money for a false perception of a quality product as long as all the glitter is there to sell it.
Comments which outline cogent observations about products can be viewed as a useful,acceptable part of this post. But the portion of it which posits motive for pricing and slams quality overall detracts from the point, regrettably.

My observation on Silca is that they are a small company, trying to build on existing brand awareness to introduce new and in some cases rather thoughtful products. That's not a bad strategy. Their success rate, like that of most companies, will not be 100%. Their mini torque/ratchet set is very good indeed. The phone wallet not so much. But I get that they are trying. They are going to depend on early adapters to get a foothold. I don't like to chime in on threads that get away from the positive or factual, but this seemed like a time to try to change the tone.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:01 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

I have an idea...vote with your wallet(as I'm sure you do)...and don't buy this or any other 'stuff' that isn't 'worth it' to you..

How DO you know? BTW..Have you owned the Silca?...oh I see.

Second OBTW-I have a few park tools and they aren't the pinnacle of bike tools in any way. Many far better...and geee, more expensive too.

-waiting for a comment on Rapha...
Old 12-08-2017, 09:49 AM

3 pages here and not one actual review of the Tattico, as requested by the OP.

I guess no one (here) is buying them.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:

Sometimes, it's not what you say but how you say it. And... not only can my Silca impero frame pump up a flat, quickly, without stress in the cold it also doubles as a faux microphone for holiday karaoke parties. Because mine is painted an appropriate christmas green. Works for Saint Patty's day drunken singing as well, so you see, it was well planned. It can also be used as a safe alternative to laser pointers for powerpoint presentations. No other pump could do that as well. None. So you see, it's well worth the cost! I have nothing to say about my Silca pista floor pump, it's scratched and filthy and ugly and I repaired the broken glass on the gauge with a cut out from a clear yogurt top. Since 1983 or so it's been that way. Silca seat bags are pretty awesome as well. Cheers! Keep the rubber side down-
Old 12-08-2017, 05:21 PM

.... ..

Last edited by cadence90; 07-28-2018 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I have an idea...vote with your wallet(as I'm sure you do)...and don't buy this or any other 'stuff' that isn't 'worth it' to you..

How DO you know? BTW..Have you owned the Silca?...oh I see.

Second OBTW-I have a few park tools and they aren't the pinnacle of bike tools in any way. Many far better...and geee, more expensive too.

-waiting for a comment on Rapha...
I use to own a Silca track pump, but that thing was bought about 35 years ago, was it a good pump? of course, was it the worlds best pump and all others were just waddling around in a jungle of inferior pumps? NO. I used a lot of track pumps back in the day that friends brought to races and I never used a bad pump.

While Park may not be the pinnacle of tools but oddly it seems to be of high enough quality that a bike shop stocks them for their mechanics to use. And that was my point, if they are good enough to be used 10 times a day (for example) 6 days a week and the tools hold up, then they are more then good enough for the casual home mechanic that would never even see 3 months worth of wear a bike shop would have over their entire lifetime. Bike tools don't see the wear like automotive tools see because bike parts don't use anywhere near the torque of automotive mechanical work. While perhaps tools like Swiss tools may be the best they're not popular in the US, in the US you can find Bondhus brand ball end hex keys that are recognized as some of the best hex tools made for a lot less money then Silca. Another problem with Silca tools besides price, is whether or not they'll hold up as long as Swiss or Bondhus, right now that can't be discussed because they haven't been out very long, nor used by many people.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennmotion View Post
Sometimes, it's not what you say but how you say it. And... not only can my Silca impero frame pump up a flat, quickly, without stress in the cold it also doubles as a faux microphone for holiday karaoke parties. Because mine is painted an appropriate christmas green. Works for Saint Patty's day drunken singing as well, so you see, it was well planned. It can also be used as a safe alternative to laser pointers for powerpoint presentations. No other pump could do that as well. None. So you see, it's well worth the cost! I have nothing to say about my Silca pista floor pump, it's scratched and filthy and ugly and I repaired the broken glass on the gauge with a cut out from a clear yogurt top. Since 1983 or so it's been that way. Silca seat bags are pretty awesome as well. Cheers! Keep the rubber side down-
Yup, any frame pump will be far better to use then even the best mini pumps, but people today don't want large heavy clunky looking frame pumps and that's why they're not popular anymore...although my vintage Silca Impero is not clunky or heavy but just isn't very stylish anymore and won't fit on the Lynsky anyways, besides it has the Campy head and is still in near new condition so I decided to not use it anymore and put it on display in my bookcase. But the Silca is plastic, I wouldn't dare try wacking a dog with it, but my other vintage pump, a Zefal HP, while a lot heavier than the Silca can beat a dog off quite well without worry about breaking the pump because it's made of thick AL...the Zefal is clunky and heavy.