Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-25-2017, 01:03 PM

Shifter function, Ultegra 10 with XT RD observation

My Litespeed Unicoi is converted to drop bars and 1x10. I mounted a 10 speed Dura Ace bar end shifter on a Velo Orange "thumbie" to shift the XT RD-M772 rear derailleur, and it worked perfectly. But it's not easy to shift while riding rougher terrain, so I bought a nice set of used Ultegra 6600 shifters here and mounted up the right hand shifter. What I notice is that it's really fussy to adjust (I put an inline cable adjuster near the shifter) so that it drops the chain down to the smallest sprocket while shifting up the cassette cleanly, so that the chain doesn't rub on an adjacent cog in the larger cogs. Nothing else changed besides the shifter. Are the integrated shifters (I'm a noob to these, the CAAD10 I bought in April is the first time I've had these) generally fussier to get shifting perfectly than a bar end shifter? Does the cassette size (this is a 11-40) matter? This is 10 speed equipment and the rear derailleur is the old style XT that has the same pull ratio as the road 10 speed. It worked just fine with the DA barcon 10 speed shifter.
Thanks!
Old 06-25-2017, 01:09 PM

I seem to recall the Shimano guys on here saying you have to use a 9 speed Mtn Bike RD with 10 speed road shifters.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:07 PM

That's correct - this is the older Shadow RD, that has the 8-9-10 speed pull ratio, as opposed to the more recent M786, also 10 speed but with the clutch and a different pull ratio than the road 10 speed. Both my shifters, the Dura Ace barcon and the Ultegra integrated shifter, are 10 speed road, and the DA worked perfectly. I don't think this is a basic incompatibility issue that is due to different pull ratios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
I seem to recall the Shimano guys on here saying you have to use a 9 speed Mtn Bike RD with 10 speed road shifters.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:13 PM

is the cable head threaded correctly in the shifter?

if you are newbie, that is an easy miscue to make. cable head not seated correctly. just an idea.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:21 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Yes, my brother is running this setup on his 1x gravel bike.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:28 PM

was the barcon in friction mode?

if yes, then cable pull ratio is not an issue, but with 10 speed Shimano road shifters need 9 speed mt. rear derailleurs. 10 speed mt. rear derailleurs different cable pull ratio.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:40 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Across the hall has a write up on how to drill a hole in your 10sp mtn derailleur to get it to shift w road shifters

M
Old 06-25-2017, 03:46 PM

Good suggestion, thanks! I looked again, and pulled the cable completely to make sure I knew where the seat was and what the head should look like once re-installed. And the barcon was in index mode.

It doesn't shift terribly, but in order to allow it to shift cleanly to the smallest cog it needs a bit of help to shift up the cassette. Just not spot-on like the barcon shifter was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
if you are newbie, that is an easy miscue to make. cable head not seated correctly. just an idea.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
My Litespeed Unicoi is converted to drop bars and 1x10. I mounted a 10 speed Dura Ace bar end shifter on a Velo Orange "thumbie" to shift the XT RD-M772 rear derailleur, and it worked perfectly. But it's not easy to shift while riding rougher terrain, so I bought a nice set of used Ultegra 6600 shifters here and mounted up the right hand shifter. What I notice is that it's really fussy to adjust (I put an inline cable adjuster near the shifter) so that it drops the chain down to the smallest sprocket while shifting up the cassette cleanly, so that the chain doesn't rub on an adjacent cog in the larger cogs. Nothing else changed besides the shifter. Are the integrated shifters (I'm a noob to these, the CAAD10 I bought in April is the first time I've had these) generally fussier to get shifting perfectly than a bar end shifter? Does the cassette size (this is a 11-40) matter? This is 10 speed equipment and the rear derailleur is the old style XT that has the same pull ratio as the road 10 speed. It worked just fine with the DA barcon 10 speed shifter.
Thanks!
The integrated 10-speed shifters work perfectly with the 772 derailleur. I have 60k miles on my Spec Tarmac with this set-up. If yours is not shifting properly then take it to a shop. It does need to be set up properly (eg., proper tension in smallest cog, no spacer if using mtb cogset, etc).
Old 06-25-2017, 09:04 PM

I've had great luck using 6603 STI levers with an XT (M761) rear derailleur on our family tandem. With Jagwire Pro cables, it shifts perfectly - every bit as good as a single bike. As long as you are using a 9-speed Top Normal rear derailleur, it should work perfectly when properly adjusted.

Greg
Old 06-26-2017, 06:27 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Good suggestion, thanks! I looked again, and pulled the cable completely to make sure I knew where the seat was and what the head should look like once re-installed. And the barcon was in index mode.

It doesn't shift terribly, but in order to allow it to shift cleanly to the smallest cog it needs a bit of help to shift up the cassette. Just not spot-on like the barcon shifter was.
I'd say ditch the inline adjuster and get a plug in one from Jagwire. That shifter and rear der 'should' work fine and dandy. These things..make sure the inner wire runs smoothly thru the housing, under BB guide clean, housing long enough..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TF-BR4058-2.jpg (19.3 KB, 57 views)
Old 06-26-2017, 07:13 AM

I'm going to re-check the spacer situation, but my recollection is that the cogs were loose without a spacer.
I'll also look into that plug-in adjuster, thanks OP.

I'm still confused about why the barcon worked perfectly and the STI isn't. The whole set-up is identical, even was able to use the same cable.

And I'm very impressed with 60K miles on any bike! Over how many years?

Thanks all

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
The integrated 10-speed shifters work perfectly with the 772 derailleur. I have 60k miles on my Spec Tarmac with this set-up. If yours is not shifting properly then take it to a shop. It does need to be set up properly (eg., proper tension in smallest cog, no spacer if using mtb cogset, etc).
Old 06-26-2017, 08:33 AM

I thought we were supposed to adjust STI With the chain on the 3rd and 4th cog.