Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-23-2017, 12:26 AM

Esteban Gutierrez to run rest of season for Coyne (OT)

I don't know much about the guy, but based on the performances of the three that have subbed for Bourdais since Indy he's been the least impressive. Is this simply a case of Gutierrez bringing more money than Jamison or Vautier? If so, nothing new and that's the way things work. Dale certainly needs the cash after what's happened in May and June. I think sponsors are missing the boat with the Coyne team, as they've been at the center of attention for most of the races this season.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:13 AM

I thought Vautier's sports car obligations prevented him from joining Coyne full time.
Fantastic drive at Indy, just bad result.
Coyne has always been an underfunded pay-to-play team. They've lost a lot of cars lately.

I hope you're at Road America today. Should be great weather and a great race at a fantastic facility. (Sounding Trumpish with all of those really, really great adjectives.) RA has implemented many improvements to the facility making it very accessible to the spectators.

Just heard Gateway is supposed to be repaved shortly. I don't think the Indy Cars did more than 10 laps at a time during the test in May due to track breakup and weepers.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:30 PM

Pretty good race today. Penskes were dominant but Dixon managed to pull off the win with great tire management. In contrast, Rahal really hurt his result (8th) by burning up his first set of tires and having to go off the leaders' 3 pit stop strategy.

Amazing to see Sato into the fence seemingly pretty hard, but continuing to finish just one lap down. He might have been on the lead lap if he hadn't had to pit after unbuckling his belts.

I hadn't heard about Vautier's other commitments but that may be the explanation. Gutierrez managed to finish on the lead lap today, but was far outpaced by teammate Ed Jones, who continues to impress. He's currently 10th in points. Not bad for a #2 rookie driver on one of the smaller teams.