Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-26-2017, 09:54 AM

rotor questions

I need an adapter to go from a 160mm to a 140mm rotor on this fork:

I'm having trouble figuring out where to get the correct adapter, as when I search for it all the adapters I've seen convert 140mm forks to 160mm. I suppose another option would be just to buy a 160mm rotor but I'm not sure it's worth it since I've already got a set of functional 140s.

I'm wondering if someone can point me to the right part number, and also I'm curious whether it would be worth just getting a 160mm rotor. Would the difference likely be noticeable?

Last edited by bitt3n; 06-26-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:11 AM

Looking at the geometry, there doesn't appear to be enough clearance between the caliper and the fork to move the caliper inward enough to align with a 140 mm rotor (adapters can space a caliper outward, but they really can't space the caliper inward).

I think your simplest and best option is just replace the rotors. You'll get better performance with the larger rotors, anyway.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Looking at the geometry, there doesn't appear to be enough clearance between the caliper and the fork to move the caliper inward enough to align with a 140 mm rotor (adapters can space a caliper outward, but they really can't space the caliper inward).

I think your simplest and best option is just replace the rotors. You'll get better performance with the larger rotors, anyway.
That is what I would do. Keep the 140 for a spare for out back.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:34 AM

Your post is a little vague or I haven't had enough coffee.

Is that your photo?

The photo shows a 140mm rotor. If that's the fork you are using and your calipers are post mount then you do not need any adapter. The caliper mounts directly to the fork.

But, yes, a 160mm rotor in the front will offer noticeably better modulation and overall power. If you do not already have the adapter to use a 160mm rotor with that fork, it is this (or similar from other maker).

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 06-26-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post

Thanks, I was afraid that might be the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Your post is a little vague or I haven't had enough coffee.

Is that your photo?

The photo shows a 140mm rotor. If that's the fork you are using and your calipers are post mount then you do not need any adapter. The caliper mounts directly to the fork.
To clarify, the way the caliper is mounted accommodates a 160mm rotor, but I have a 140mm rotor, so I either I need to swap out the 140 for 160 or find some kind of an adapter that allows me to use to the smaller rotor. However it appears such a thing does not exist. (That is my picture.)
Old 06-26-2017, 10:42 AM

I can only assume that you have an older (but still great) QR Enve CX fork, as the RD fork was compatible with 140 rotors.

I'd just stick with 160 up front. I won't run anything less than 160 up front for myself. Just doesn't make any sense to try to go that small up front, but that is just my opinion.

There is no adapter to go smaller on a fork like that. They just don't exist, much like there are no adapters to take a flat mount caliper and get it to work on an ISO or Post mount frame/fork mounting point. ( Campag hydro )
Old 06-26-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitt3n View Post
To clarify, the way the caliper is mounted accommodates a 160mm rotor, but I have a 140mm rotor, so I either I need to swap out the 140 for 160 or find some kind of an adapter that allows me to use to the smaller rotor. However it appears such a thing does not exist. (That is my picture.)
Then your fork is 160mm minimum. This is standard on a lot of forks for good reason.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 06-26-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:12 AM

160mm

Not sure why people feel the need for 140mm rotors.
Other than saving a few grams on the scale (of coffee shop test)- the 140mm rotor does not work as well.
It will heat up more quickly, causing your fluid to heat up too- All of this can cause the pads to drag on the rotor more than it normally would.
Stick to 160mm front and rear for best function.

1st year disc bikes were out- my local shop sold a bunch of Roubaix disc bikes that came with 140mm rotors- Lots of issues with people making their fluid boil on descents.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
Not sure why people feel the need for 140mm rotors.
Other than saving a few grams on the scale (of coffee shop test)- the 140mm rotor does not work as well.
It will heat up more quickly, causing your fluid to heat up too- All of this can cause the pads to drag on the rotor more than it normally would.
Stick to 160mm front and rear for best function.

1st year disc bikes were out- my local shop sold a bunch of Roubaix disc bikes that came with 140mm rotors- Lots of issues with people making their fluid boil on descents.
interesting. I took this group off a Cannondale Black Inc Disc 2015, not realizing rotors are typically 160mm
Old 06-26-2017, 12:26 PM

Ok I guess I'll buy new rotors..

I'm going to need a rear adapter also. Just to confirm, given that my frame has an IS mount, is this the adapter I'll need to use a 160mm rotor with my post-mount caliper used as a rear brake?
Old 06-26-2017, 12:28 PM

That appears correct yes. What frameset are you putting this on?
Old 06-26-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowgram5 View Post
That appears correct yes. What frameset are you putting this on?
A Seven Airheart, which is the Evergreen model with S&S couplers

Old 06-26-2017, 12:58 PM

Sweet! That will be an awesome build!