Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-10-2015, 08:54 AM
Administrator

the apple watch

things are going to get worse for us on the road than better.

if we think distracted driving is bad now, wait until people are checking texts on their wrist instead of watching the road.

i think our culture is just moving further and further away from the realm of the "here and now" and into some fake social media black hole.

where does it all stop?

end rant
Old 03-10-2015, 08:59 AM
kg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
where does it all stop?

end rant
The Matrix.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:01 AM
Classics Fan

It is a drug. By that, I mean that the way our smart phones (and future smart watches) impact us is very similar to how a drug or other behavior creates addiction. It gives us a stimulus (the ding), and then we have to get our fix and see who said what, which gives us a neurochemical release (of dopamine, I believe). It is very hard to resist that ding when we hear it, unless you really are aware of it and its effects. Your brain needs that fix! We're fighting hardwired human nature.

I wish that personal responsibility was something that people took more seriously... and I think in a vacuum, people probably do. But in the real world, people hear that ding and need the fix, and the brain says, "I need that release! look, for just a second."
Old 03-10-2015, 09:02 AM

i'm hoping it will epically fail. I think it's overpriced for one, but think once people actually use it they'll see it is nothing but a gimmick at this stage of the game.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:03 AM

So is AAPL a buy, hold or sell??
Old 03-10-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunner View Post
So is AAPL a buy, hold or sell??
safe for now! they will sell a ton of those retina 2lb laptops.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:18 AM

I dont give a damm about apple products in general because are more like a hipe, they try to convince you that you need their useless stuff but I do have to admit that the phone is something I would like, not with a bunch of apps, but have the time, a gps and read emails would be enough for me, doest it has a phone also??? Dont need to play or listen mp3s in the car or the metro... in the car I have something called RADIO and in the metro there is something call relax time, nap time or reading time :P
Old 03-10-2015, 09:19 AM
Lanterne rouge

I am not a tech guy at all. Apple products are nice to use. The watch? Nah. The MacBook? Yep. I will own one.

Posted from my company iPhone sitting in a parked car waiting on a meeting all on company time.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:20 AM

As someone who needs reading glasses to read a phone, tablet or computer screen, I see no purpose to these. I couldn't read it without as much effort and annoyance as my phone.

I do have a couple of questions, though...What functions do smart watches continue to perform if your phone is out of range? For instance, if I'm in the garage or walk to a friends house and leave my phone home (Oh! The horror!) what would this watch actually do? Still tell time? Does it need its own data account like a tablet? Just curious.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:21 AM
caffeine fueled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
i'm hoping it will epically fail. I think it's overpriced for one, but think once people actually use it they'll see it is nothing but a gimmick at this stage of the game.
Have you used a wearable like a Pebble? Maybe a gimmick for some, but I find glanceable information and notifications on my Pebble compelling, and I'm not using it for social media.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:23 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
It is a drug. By that, I mean that the way our smart phones (and future smart watches) impact us is very similar to how a drug or other behavior creates addiction. It gives us a stimulus (the ding), and then we have to get our fix and see who said what, which gives us a neurochemical release (of dopamine, I believe). It is very hard to resist that ding when we hear it, unless you really are aware of it and its effects. Your brain needs that fix! We're fighting hardwired human nature.

I wish that personal responsibility was something that people took more seriously... and I think in a vacuum, people probably do. But in the real world, people hear that ding and need the fix, and the brain says, "I need that release! look, for just a second."
This a good analysis. Very good.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgav View Post
Have you used a wearable like a Pebble? Maybe a gimmick for some, but I find glanceable information and notifications on my Pebble compelling, and I'm not using it for social media.
yes i have a lg g watch r. i find it an useless piece of junk that i regret buying, but i dont like being notified all the time. i keep my phone on silent all the time unless i know i need it for some reason.

i blame the gunner for it's purchase. he invited me up for lunch at google and i saw a guy wearing it and thought it looked neat.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:26 AM

Got rid of my "smart" phone and went back to basic cell clam. Smaller /cheaper plan,easier to carry for need while I'm cycling. I can wait until I get home to go online on my computer.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
I honestly have no opinion on the Apple watch at this point but your assessment sounds familiar: Why Apple's rumored iTablet will fail big time
Old 03-10-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
I honestly have no opinion on the Apple watch at this point but your assessment sounds familiar: Why Apple's rumored iTablet will fail big time
Probably right due to their cult like following, but maybe this product will be a rude awakening. IMO the novelty quickly wears off, but perhaps i didnt give my lg watch a fair chance.