Old 03-05-2024, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Like it thank you!
Old 03-05-2024, 06:44 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
Regardless of if that's the bag this thread is about or not, that's an expensive bag.
You can get quality handlebar bags that are mass produced and inexpensive. You can get quality handlebar bags that are boutique in design/color and expensive.

...this bag looks generic and expensive. Worst of both worlds.
Old 03-05-2024, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Regardless of if that's the bag this thread is about or not, that's an expensive bag.
You can get quality handlebar bags that are mass produced and inexpensive. You can get quality handlebar bags that are boutique in design/color and expensive.

...this bag looks generic and expensive. Worst of both worlds.
Big maybe on that...

Difficult to discern from small photos online. I don't care for the size or shape but I can't assume it's not a solid bag given SILCA's track record.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:57 PM

That does appear to be it. But not yet on the Silca site, https://silca.cc/collections/bags , so don't know if it is exactly as what I saw.

@Angry: Marty's bike shop in East Hanover had an expo (smallish)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
Old 03-14-2024, 09:08 AM
Administrator

You have to love how Silca loves to talk about "Marginal Gains".

I suppose putting a bag with a super janky strap support system on your aero handlebars should be considered "Marginal Losses"

For me, what makes or breaks a bar bag is a well thought out and executed attachment system, along with good rigidity. This one looks like crap to me.

Old 03-14-2024, 09:38 AM

I'm really amazed how bad some of the bar bags are when it comes to mounting/straps. Thick velcro or buckles, fixed spacing, etc.

Just give me a daisy chain of webbing and two short Viole straps for the bar and a simple long lace/slider for the HT. This for small-medium bags, larger might need more support, etc.
Old 03-14-2024, 09:39 AM
Back At It!

just submitted a question on the Silca site asking what the inside of the bag looks like.. are there any internal pockets, etc? Also, is the inside just black as well? One of the major downfalls is many bags is they use a black or dark color in the inside making it very difficult to locate items in the bag.. Rapha did a decent job with the bar bag I got from them and use pink in at least one of the pockets, it really is a game changer when you're trying to find that small tool, etc..

from what I can see so far, 100% not worth $100.. I like Silca stuff, but this seems like a bit of a swing and miss.. a little unrelated, but I feel similar about the Silca gravel pump I got for Christmas.. still giving it some time, but my Lezyne with a Hiro head is sublime..
Old 03-14-2024, 09:43 AM
Sunshine

A picture of this bag hanging over the new fugly Pegoretti fork would send the cycling internet into full meltdown.
Old 03-14-2024, 09:44 AM

The new larger saddle bag looks good if I needed more space. I have a couple of their small tool roll bags and they work great.

Agree that the handlebar bag looks like a rare miss design wise. That strap system is terrible, and I don't care for bags of that shape.
Old 03-14-2024, 09:50 AM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
I'm really amazed how bad some of the bar bags are when it comes to mounting/straps. Thick velcro or buckles, fixed spacing, etc.

Just give me a daisy chain of webbing and two short Viole straps for the bar and a simple long lace/slider for the HT.
Absolutely!
I have a couple bar bags and actually loop the lace/slider around the hoses/cables that exit down from the bar tape. Not much is needed to stabilize a bar bag of this size, even on gravel.
...but fully hidden and internally routed cables/hoses means a simple loop around exposed cables isnt possible. Even then though, just loop it around the HT between the TT and DT.

Those stacked loose foam spacers on all 3 connections look like a cheap afterthought too. Not what I would want for $95.
Old 03-14-2024, 10:08 AM

that thing looks awful. I bought a Silca bag once and hated it. The stupid boa strap never worked right and if I hit a bump the bag would flip over and dangle off the saddle. Making magic chips that turns oil into wax (or what ever) easy. Attaching a bag to a bike impossible.
Old 03-14-2024, 10:21 AM

It does look awkwardly attached. In any event, it also appears to be too small to serve any real function. I can’t imagine anything fitting in that bag that couldn’t be easily stowed in my jersey pockets. That bag looks too small to provide any meaningful relief. It looks barely big enough to stow a pack of cigarettes and a lighter.
Old 03-14-2024, 11:58 AM

eh not for me.

agree 100% with ANGRY here in where what makes or breaks a bar bag would be how its attached and how that functional. This looks a bit janky.
Old 03-14-2024, 12:02 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
I can’t imagine anything fitting in that bag that couldn’t be easily stowed in my jersey pockets. That bag looks too small to provide any meaningful relief.
for me, I have a similar sized bar bag that I use in lieu of a saddle bag.. I prefer the little more space and I have a Vario radar light that would be in the way of the saddle bag since I usually don't run a ton of seatpost (short legs).. and if I can get away with carrying almost nothing in my jersey pockets, all the better.. so I totally see the value in a bag around this size.. I'm not stressed about losing a couple watts to aero loss..
Old 03-14-2024, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
You have to love how Silca loves to talk about "Marginal Gains".

I suppose putting a bag with a super janky strap support system on your aero handlebars should be considered "Marginal Losses"

For me, what makes or breaks a bar bag is a well thought out and executed attachment system, along with good rigidity. This one looks like crap to me.
100% agree here, I have a rapha bar bag like this and the straps are f*ing awful.

Otherwise the bag is great, so when I get around to it I'm going to replace the straps with a velcro strap and a loop.