Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-14-2017, 10:26 AM

OT: Amazon leased 107,000 sq.ft. in San Diego

To employ 500 people about 2 miles from my home. This was front page news today. I sent a message to a pal/former neighbor who sold his place a few years ago and rented while the market moved up that he'd better buy something quick before these 500 people arrive or graduate from UCSD and get into the market.

The surprising thing about our local market is that you can buy a place with 20% down for less per month than you can rent one. This may be due to our proximity to UCSD and many science and R and D facilities which bring quite a few people who know they may be here for a few years before moving on. They often rent while HOPING to get a permanent position here. If that works out for them they usually buy.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:18 PM

I'd guess it's probably for a retail warehouse/logistics facility,they pop up like mushrooms, unless you've seen otherwise. We helped automate one in Northern CA (Tracy or Livermore).. If so I would guess low skill/low wage jobs with plenty of turnover, maybe a couple good tech jobs if you know industrial robots...
Old 09-14-2017, 03:11 PM

Nope, it's office space (I believe formerly Qualcomm space) in an office park with a biotech (Celgene) and UCSD Medical Center. Looks like some space allocated for a in-house game development group. With Blizzard up in Irvine and Activision in LA, some easy poaching grounds for talent.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeHorn View Post
Nope, it's office space (I believe formerly Qualcomm space) in an office park with a biotech (Celgene) and UCSD Medical Center. Looks like some space allocated for a in-house game development group. With Blizzard up in Irvine and Activision in LA, some easy poaching grounds for talent.
Yep, and tech/computer grads from UCSD can walk over from campus for interviews too. :-)