Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2017, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post

I really want a Toyota Land Cruiser but they're the best and the worst of the breed. Awful fuel economy and pretty bad space efficiency. Driven by lawyers, CFOs and orthodontists all over suburbia.
I just rid of my 2014 Land Cruiser. 19-20 mpg on hwy and 16-17 mixed. Agree on not the best space. It is almost impossible to remove the useless 3rd row seats unlike my 2003 off road, built Land cruiser.....they bolt right out.

A LC will tackle terrain and surfaces almost unimaginable.

I'm looking or considering/buying a wagon or smaller SUV like OP.

Going to consider 2011-2012 E350 wagon despite not loving the styling. My old e320wagon went 300k miles and the back would swallow a tandem without a hiccup. An Audi A6 Avant with turbo diesel would be ideal but I don't think they were imported to the USA. The 4.0L V8 turbo diesel would be nice but then again, so would be 5.5 W/Kg.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
90 k. I changed the belt at 110k and was ready to take the car in for another. Would have replaced the water pump at the same time.

I really like the Crosstrek, however I do miss the seats of the Volvo, the most comfortable in any car IMHO.
I always wonder why some manus don't recommend water pump when changing timing belts. You are in there anyway, and while at it make sure the pulley the belt rides on turns freely.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulspinner View Post
I always wonder why some manus don't recommend water pump when changing timing belts. You are in there anyway, and while at it make sure the pulley the belt rides on turns freely.
Agree. Odd.

Don't the kits usually include belt, pump, gasket, tensioners, and pulleys? It did on mine. A $600-1000 maintenance every 90,000 miles (Toyota) is mostly labor but the alternative is the motor on an interference design.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:37 AM
Administrator

my old Jeep died a death of rust last winter. previously, the gas tank fell out, and i had it held in with ratchet straps. i decided to give up the ghost when i couldnt find enough solid purchase on the frame to hold the ratchet straps. it was downright dangerous and close to structural failure, so out it went despite the straight-6 engine running wonderfully. 4WD was out though due to a blown front diff and the front axle long removed.

i've been driving my little Jetta most of the time, but patiently waiting until the new Jeep pickup truck comes out in late 2019. as long as it is available with a naturally aspirated six cylinder and a manual transmission - i'm going to buy one. if not, i'll but the bullet and buy a tacoma.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
That Buick is gorgeous
but we will only get the TourX version. Any reasonably equipped one will be in the $38K range
Maybe a good alternative to the Subaru Outback but a tough sell against well known brands
that buick is tasty.
"With 73.5 cubic feet of cargo area behind the front row, it offers more cargo room than the Audi Allroad, BMW 3-Series Wagon, Subaru Outback and Volvo V60 CC."
Old 09-13-2017, 09:37 AM
50 bpm

We have the original CrossTrek. Little boxer engine is horribly weak when climbing in the mountains. CVT is maddening at times; thank goodness for the paddle shifters.

That said, it was cheap (<$25k with leather) and gets fairly good mileage and is comfortable. My big bikes fit in back with seats down.

I used to get more excited about cars. Now, they're tools.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
I just rid of my 2014 Land Cruiser. 19-20 mpg on hwy and 16-17 mixed. Agree on not the best space. It is almost impossible to remove the useless 3rd row seats unlike my 2003 off road, built Land cruiser.....they bolt right out.

A LC will tackle terrain and surfaces almost unimaginable.
This third row thing is a huge turnoff for me. A vehicle that is ostensibly an off road beast needs to have more usable space. Behind the second row. The seats should be there. They should also be owner removable and have this removability as a design feature from the factory.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stien View Post
See previous post about Subaru engines. Don't get one. They have/had a class action lawsuit about the oil consumption. I had a '12 Impreza 5mt and sold it.
Oh man, thanks.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:23 AM

I would caution against a first model year/first year redesign Jeep.
A friend's ad agency has Jeep as a client, always problems/recalls the first time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i've been driving my little Jetta most of the time, but patiently waiting until the new Jeep pickup truck comes out in late 2019. as long as it is available with a naturally aspirated six cylinder and a manual transmission - i'm going to buy one. if not, i'll but the bullet and buy a tacoma.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:24 PM

I seem to come against

3rd row (with 3 across 2nd row)
awd
good mpg

pick 2.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:51 AM

You're gonna be at odds trying to find decent mileage and awd together methinks.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:11 AM

Check out the new Traverse. It is quite nice and newly redesigned for 2018. I am a bit biased as I do sell them, but they have tons of space, four bucket seats plus third row and the tech, fit and finish are very nice. Might be worth checking out.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stien View Post
You're gonna be at odds trying to find decent mileage and awd together methinks.
subaru impreza is listed at 28/38
outback 25/32

audi a6 wagon 18/26
a4 wagon 21/29

but then i give up third row
Old 09-19-2017, 10:31 AM

and to make this post on point, the V90 looks really good hauling bikes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-09-19.jpg (97.3 KB, 148 views)
Old 09-19-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape View Post
subaru impreza is listed at 28/38
outback 25/32

audi a6 wagon 18/26
a4 wagon 21/29

but then i give up third row
Well we did discuss Subaru oil consumption issues. Class action lawsuit etc. Sure they get better mileage, but IMO it's not worth the tradeoff. Also think about having to shell out $500 for each factory scheduled maintenance visit or your warranty isn't good. That was my experience anyway.