Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 04:21 PM

Sure Amazon will cover shipping if there is a mistake. But if you want to return something for other reasons Amazon will not cover shipping (example: Amazon wish list wasn't reporting correctly for people buying X-Mas presents so 2 different people bought the same thing..couldn't return without paying a shipping fee since it technically wasn't a wrong order).

Also a lot of bike parts listed on Amazon are from 3rd party sellers (most of them being online shops of bike stores like Niagra Cycle or Trail This and heck Nashbar even has a Amazon storefront).

I do like shopping Amazon for small stuff like tools, bar tape and cables. Most other stuff I'm going directly to other bike stores online shops (Performance, Nashbar, etc).

Performance doesn't have a local store to me but I've bought a few things from them before and have been please with my purchases. I do agree it is wrong to make you pay out of pocket for return shipping for their mistake. They should've emailed a prepaid label or give you a shipping account to charge against to send it back.

Last edited by loxx0050; 08-28-2017 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
That's exactly what Amazon does. I've done it effortlessly at least five times.
I like Amazon too, don't get me wrong. They have really transformed on line shopping and will continue to do so. If merchandise can be returned for full refund then that is another feather in their cap. But I am not sure that is a consistent policy. You can also return a bike to Performance for a full refund. But I think we are getting off on a tangent. Frankly, Amazon has a better on-line system but when one has a local Performance Store, its a more difficult call whether to go to Amazon or the local store. Also, I am not sure Amazon matches the sale prices that Performance often advertises from time to time. Maybe they do, I just haven't checked on it.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:25 PM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
i frequent a local performance often, they're my go-to source for nutritional stuff, tools or parts in a pinch, occasional sale "stuff" and last time i was there, they had doors to walk into a building, actual employees selling bikes, working on bikes, and others selling bike-related stuff.

fyi, while it might not be an option for you, if you order it online and need to return it, a local store will accept and process the item(s).
The nearest one to me is in Pennsylvania. Hey, I like real, physical bike shops. I was in one today at lunch time! And I'm glad people that have a Performance local to them like them. That's a good thing. But I'll try to restate my point again: If you're going to be in the online game, you can't do it halfway. My one transaction is irrelevant in the greater scheme. But it doesn't change reality. Amazon and other online retailers who go the extra mile to make a purchase frictionless will win.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
All I know is that prices on Amazon are not nearly as good as they used to be. My take is that this is partly a result of taking other players out of the action and then having the market clout to raise prices because we are left with fewer online options. Buyers beware!
WHEN they have a monopoly on bike part sales, their prices are going to be whatever they want it to be. And there's nothing you can do about it. Except you can do something about it NOW, by buying local. They won't give you the wrong saddle, OP and if you don't like that saddle, they will likely exchange it.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:33 PM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
Also, I am not sure Amazon matches the sale prices that Performance often advertises from time to time. Maybe they do, I just haven't checked on it.
I'm going through saddle hell, so I've been shopping for saddles a lot over the past year or so. I'd say 80-90% of the time Amazon equals or beats other online cycling retailers and kills all my local LBS. Add to that Prime's two day shipping and free returns, and I find it tough to beat. I know Amazon is far from a perfect company, but they have made online buying leaps and bounds better. And they're forcing other retailers to up their game. Notice how Competitive Cyclist has free shipping on orders over $50? The Amazon effect!
Old 08-28-2017, 04:38 PM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
Except you can do something about it NOW, by buying local. They won't give you the wrong saddle, OP and if you don't like that saddle, they will likely exchange it.
I was in a LBS today looking for a saddle. Their selection was terrible. I really wanted to support the shop, but no shop can -- and most have no real interest in -- carrying a comprehensive inventory in things like saddles. It's really a question of playing to your strength. Brick and mortar shops have some strengths. Online has others. Render unto Caesar and all that.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:45 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
WHEN they have a monopoly on bike part sales, their prices are going to be whatever they want it to be.
Except that there is internal competition within the Amazon marketplace, kinda like eBay. Then there's the reality that if/when Amazon starts price fixing at a higher level it opens the door again for other retailers.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrider View Post
I have had the same feeling for amazon for years now because of very similar circumstances. Amazon gets zero of my dollars.
Really? I have been a very active Amazon Prime member for many years and so far I've been treated extremely well. Not a single complaint that I can think of.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:44 PM

I recently needed a seatpost clamp for a frame.

But first I called my LBS who sadly did not have the clamp in stock.

Then I checked out Performance which did have the clamp and informed me that it was in stock at my local shop. I do like that feature on their site. Much like REI has.

I was happily surprised the clamp was actually cheaper, even with tax, at Performance than Amazon.

Though I would rather support my LBS, sometimes it just doesn't happen.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:46 PM

I ordered a helmet from performance a little while back. Went to the store to try on, bought it, then they sent a coupon that night so I ordered the same helmet for 25% less and returned the other. They sent two by accident... charged for one. Realized their mistake and emailed a shipping label. I just dropped it off at the local store, explained the situation and they took care of it. I don't buy a ton at performance, but they are a step above amazon in my book.

I will avoid amazon unless it absolutely can't be avoided. "Free" 2 day shipping and returns aren't really free. You pay what for a prime membership these days? Maybe it gets amortized over the course of a year if you buy enough, but I won't ever make it back.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:28 PM
Forward the Foundation

My LBS puts Performance out of business, 10 minute drive away.
Amazon prices aren't competitive, and Fedex Ground is annoying,
they only deliver missed delivery tags. (Locked Condo, USPS
and the clever UPS driver has an advantage.)

For the really obscure there is SJS Cycles, delivery's are air dropped
to your house from a Concorde.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:43 PM

There is a reason that Performance was in receivership.

P-Mart will be gone in a few years, new owners Advance Sports (Fuji, Kestrel, Oval...) knows even less about running a bike shop than Performance did.

Reluctantly, I will admit that I worked at P-Mart for 3 years...
Old 08-28-2017, 06:57 PM

Big fan of Amazon,but

Made the mistake of buying from an Amazon vendor instead of Amazon direct. I bought a Brooks saddle from Amazon. I did not pay attention to the fact that the order was being filled by a vendor, a well known shop in Philly. The saddle had a discoloration in the hide. I never took it out of its packaging. I used Amazon's return and that's where things went pear shaped. After dropping off the item at UPS, the shop called me and said they never received it. UPS delivered it to the shop, but no one in the shop could verify actual receipt. The shop proceeded to leave a dozen messages on my phone and attempted to withhold my refund. Amazon did very little to assist and I finally had to whip out the law degree and threaten CPB complaint to get the shop to back off. Now, I only buy from Amazon fulfillment.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skenry View Post
There is a reason that Performance was in receivership.

P-Mart will be gone in a few years, new owners Advance Sports (Fuji, Kestrel, Oval...) knows even less about running a bike shop than Performance did.

Reluctantly, I will admit that I worked at P-Mart for 3 years...
I didn't know that. That explains Performance is closing their only store in Eugene.
I bet it's only been open 3 years
Old 08-28-2017, 07:32 PM

Amazon Online Interface

I don't get it. Seems like a good site, from 10 years ago.. Does Prime give you more details and better images of items? Despite being a frequent online shopper, I've never made a purchase from Amazon. What am I missing?
Closed Thread