Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-31-2017, 12:33 PM

A few considerations for buying:
- if you buy used, be careful to check if all the recalls have been addressed (e.g. Takata airbags). Some brands/models (Jeep, Infiniti) have had more recalls than others.
- small SUVs like the Rav4 have the smaller Class I/II hitch, rather than the 2" Class 3 hitch which is preferable if carrying more than two bikes.

From your choices, I would rule out the BMW X3 -- too small (cargo wise) and expensive (nickel and dime every option).

We have a 2014 Outback and it would fit your needs, but you'd need an aftermarket hitch for Class 3. Good car, very roomy inside and newer models have a quieter interior.

I owned a Highlander and replace it and our Sienna with a 2015 Ford Explorer. It was my first domestic vehicle ever (owned Saabs, Mazda, VW, Honda and other Toyotas) and really liked it. Very roomy inside, luxury quiet and lots of cargo space for four adults plus overnight bags and outdoor equipment. The hitch is also Class 3, which I used my Thule T2 rack. Also, the Ford technology Sync 3 is much better than Toyota and Honda's (if you read those forums, the tech is frequent complaint).

If you want slightly smaller, the Ford Edge is also a good choice. And both the Explorer and Edge have Sport models that really do have extra performance.

Oh, since you like heated seats, definitely get the heated steering wheel. Believe me, living in the Northeast, it is something I would require on any future buy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk