Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-11-2023, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
gawd! how does one sell a frame + carbon fork + headset + thru axles + seatpost collar for $250 and REMAIN in business?
EDIT: Or maybe in did not come with thru axles + headset?
Not that it matters at this price.
These are clearance, and have clearly been sitting in his warehouse for a while (since 2017 or so). The $250 one was a used demo frame so they baked the cost in there. It's no different to how I got some Bontrager winter boots from Trek for $50 that retailed for $250 at one point, sometimes the accountant says just cash out for what you can..

These things are crazy deals at the $575 theyre asking for, and glad to see Weisan got one. I've been very happy with mine.
Old 12-11-2023, 08:28 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwtsculler91 View Post
The $250 one was a used demo frame
they are used demo, really?

when I took it out of the box, I could have easily mistaken as new...not a scratch anywhere, not on the dropouts or bb or any place that has an outside interface.

Anyway, I was motivated to move forward with this in part after reading your positive reviews so thank you sculler pal.
Old 12-11-2023, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
they are used demo, really?

when I took it out of the box, I could have easily mistaken as new...not a scratch anywhere, not on the dropouts or bb or any place that has an outside interface.

Anyway, I was motivated to move forward with this in part after reading your positive reviews so thank you sculler pal.
Yours is brand new. There were some demos available even cheaper. I am pretty sure that is what I received as it doesn't have all the Serotta decals and has a D on the head tube.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2023, 08:44 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Yours is brand new.
Yes, I think so, it certainly looks like it.

Also, appreciate reading your positive review, hill pal.
Old 12-11-2023, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Yes, I think so, it certainly looks like it.

Also, appreciate reading your positive review, hill pal.
It looks like yours is new too, and came just like mine did without any of the newish Serotta decals they seem to be adding. Who knows, I had seen the ads for the sub $300 ones saying demo or floor bikes rather than new.

Hope you enjoy it! Is this your first modern disc bike?
Old 12-11-2023, 12:33 PM

Looks like i got the last XL "Demo" direct from Serotta. Was $349+tax. Includes cable guides! Picking it up in a couple weeks!
Old 12-11-2023, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Looks like i got the last XL "Demo" direct from Serotta. Was $349+tax. Includes cable guides! Picking it up in a couple weeks!
Nice! Look forward to comparing notes..

If I had more cash laying around when these went on super-sale I’d have bought them out and started a “Team Dancing Banana” Service Course..

Old 12-11-2023, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Nice! Look forward to comparing notes..

If I had more cash laying around when these went on super-sale I’d have bought them out and started a “Team Dancing Banana” Service Course..

haha, i could see you driving a PDX neutral support wagon!

Off topic: I would love love love to have one of these old C'dale neutral support bikes.

Old 12-12-2023, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Off topic: I would love love love to have one of these old C'dale neutral support bikes.
Ugh I had one i bought for really cheap around 2011.. It had Sram 10 Force and the black Mavic SSC brake calipers... One of the top 3 bikes i wish i never sold Fit me so well and I dont think i had a good reason to sell it. I was just so compulsive back then.
Old 12-12-2023, 09:24 AM

Oh dang i just realized im gonna have to figure out this whole "press-fit" thing... never had one. Whats the gold standard install to prevent creaking?
Old 12-12-2023, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Oh dang i just realized im gonna have to figure out this whole "press-fit" thing... never had one. Whats the gold standard install to prevent creaking?
Threaded, BSA or Italian.
Old 12-12-2023, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
Threaded, BSA or Italian.
I was thinking more along the lines of that green loctite, but...
Old 12-12-2023, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I was thinking more along the lines of that green loctite, but...
BBInfinite sends Vibratite 530 and 538 depending on if you need the "repair" kit or not. I've just ordered my own online and use it for pressfit installs now.
Old 12-12-2023, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Well done is clean and dry. Best guarantee is to use a thread together Wheels MFG BB which is what I now have on mine.

Didn’t have creak issues with the SRAM one either, but swapped BB to Wheels chasing a creak that turned out to by my Chris King hubs but neither me nor the mechanic could figure out. I’m riding it in the wet a lot so figure it was good cheap insurance.
Old 12-12-2023, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Yes, those thread-together bottom brackets are popular among people who have had issues with creaking. Many will install without a bearing press (just use an inexpensive tool to twist it together on the threads). That said...

If the bottom bracket shell is within specification, all you need is:
1) ordinary grease
2) inexpensive plastic-sleeve PF30 bottom bracket ($20-ish dollars)
3) the correct number of spacers when installing the crankset (i.e. after bottom bracket installation is done). The spacers go against the "wavy washer" and help set the pre-load. If the crankset bolt is properly torqued, but it starts creaking after a few rides, you probably need another thin spacer next to the wavy washer to prevent movement - or two washers if that doesn't solve it. People like to freak out before actually getting the pre-load dialed in. Admittedly, those are things you don't need to do with a BSA threaded bottom bracket!

The other main knock against PF30 bottom brackets is that most aren't well-sealed against water ingress, so they have a limited lifespan. But at $20 a pop and 5 minutes of time, it's not a big deal to knock out the old one and press in a new one. Note: The previous-generation Rotor 4630 bottom brackets are cheap, spin pretty well on my bikes, and install easily with a bearing press: Example for $21 including shipping: https://www.ebay.com/itm/382797265518

As for installation tips: Be gentle. Stop turning the handles on the bearing press when everything is gently snug. You are done. Now install the crankset with a torque wrench for the crankset bolt. Again, you may need to add a spacer (or two) to the crankset to get the preload tight enough to prevent movement (i.e. creaking) at the recommended torque. Don't try to fix this by using more torque on the crankset bolt.

BEARING PRESS: You don't need anything fancy, but having a decent press makes the job very easy. I have one of these Wheels Manufacturing bottom bracket presses. Not too expensive (especially used via Ebay) and nicer to use than the DIY tools. Example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/285549423374

These presses are even cheaper and can even PULL OUT the old bottom bracket, so you don't have to knock it out with a wooden dowel and hammer (like I do). I've never used one, so can't vouch for how much of a pain they are compared to the nicer Wheels Manufacturing ones: https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/en/...ducte=11685194

BB30 CRANKSETS (compatible with PF30):
- Really nice, older BB30 cranksets are super cheap on Ebay. Just avoid BB30A cranksets. Those are not the same (they have an assymetrical offset). You can get lightweight, full carbon BB30 cranksets for peanuts.
- Any modern BB386 EVO crankset will also work on a PF30 frameset with an inexpensive set of spacers. Example of spacers: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HVDJ8K...roduct_details
- The benefit of getting a BB386 EVO crankset is that you can move it to another bike more easily if you outgrow this build. BB30/PF30 is basically dead. The short spindle on a BB30 crankset won't work on many modern frames. The BB386EVO, by contrast, works on a fairly large number of modern frames -- even on T47 threaded frames with the correct bottom bracket.

Happy building!