Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-01-2022, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Just gotta be discriminating.. no different than picking through the flea-market tables or your local used-car lot.

Here's a gem:

https://www.theproscloset.com/products/moots-ybb-m

Great combo of frameset, groupset, and wheelset - plus the Moots stem/post.
perfect after ya rotate the bars a little
Old 01-01-2022, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
What's to understand?

PLUS, what Mark said below.
What to understand is why there are buyers that'd be so desperate to own a specific model/brand bike that they'd spend same as new to get something that's been broken and repaired just to do so, that has no warranty, instead of finding and possibly waiting for an alternative.

As mentioned somewhere above, value is determined by what's willing to be paid. I don't understand why anyone would be willing to pay this amount.

I completely understand the seller-side of things and more power to them.
Old 01-01-2022, 08:42 AM

Just another data point, not as much of a gouge but still interesting. My buddy has an early 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SL(size large) that was around $2800 new. TPC just offered him $2357 for it. Worth noting that Canyon doesnt have any in stock..
Old 01-01-2022, 08:44 AM

Anyway, has anyone ever had a bad experience with TPS customer service? I am tempted by one of their bikes, but given their "attention to detail", I worry about buying a used bike from them sight unseen.
Old 01-01-2022, 09:11 AM

I’ve tried to sell them few things and bought 3. All good experiences with all questions answered quickly. No issues, if you have question about bike just ask them, a few months ago they were happy to inspect bike more carefully for me and were over honest with opinion of it (in a good way!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Anyway, has anyone ever had a bad experience with TPS customer service? I am tempted by one of their bikes, but given their "attention to detail", I worry about buying a used bike from them sight unseen.
Old 01-01-2022, 09:20 AM

Quote:
That may just be how capitalism works, but I'm not obligated to like it.
Clean39T with the quote of the thread, IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
The only (and superficial) similarity between Goodwill and TPC is that both sells duds, which, upon closer inspection, is problematic for one but not the other.
I mean, I think that's a little harsh on Goodwill, which, unlike TPC, is a 501(c)3 and their mission (their words) is "helping people in need reach their full potential through learning and the power of work".
Old 01-01-2022, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_rock View Post

I mean, I think that's a little harsh on Goodwill, which, unlike TPC, is a 501(c)3 and their mission (their words) is "helping people in need reach their full potential through learning and the power of work".
I should have said that their respective inventories contain duds (as opposed to they both sell duds, as some may take that to mean that both sell only duds).

But I also wrote in the same post:

Quote:
Otherwise, I don’t think Goodwill, whose intent is to provide basic necessities at a cost affordable to the indigent, should be mentioned in the same vein as a company looking to offload substandard goods at whatever price the market is willing to bear.
Old 01-01-2022, 10:55 AM
Back At It!

this is the epitome of a winter thread... we have a business that, for a lot of people, is what folks want as it allows you to browse several different bikes that your may be looking to honestly buy, but, in reality, are probably just killing some time and either wishing or reminiscing...

then we have a few folks who have an issue with a certain price or presentation of a bike (some of the earlier pictures did look pretty bad) and starts a thread that has blown up with so much negativity.

true, some of the bikes seem overpriced, but, as has been said several times, the market is what it is right now... From all the interactions that folks have actually had with TPC, they seem like a good and honest group of folks... I would rather buy from then than some unknown on Ebay or Craigslist (if you can't see it in person).

Bottom line is that TPC is a business that a LOT of folks like to go online and look around on (me included), so they obviously have appeal... and I assume they are doing ok since they seem to keep adding inventory.
Old 01-01-2022, 11:51 AM

is there is point in Capitalism where the price charged for a good becomes price gouging, expolitation etc? Do we always, in Capitalism say, "yah...'tis okay...'tis what the markets can bear....?" So, like in love and war, is all fair in Capitalism, and with Martin Shkreli?
Old 01-01-2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
is there is point in Capitalism where the price charged for a good becomes price gouging, expolitation etc? Do we always, in Capitalism say, "yah...'tis okay...'tis what the markets can bear....?" So, like in love and war, is all fair in Capitalism, and with Martin Shkreli?
It isn't like TPC has anywhere close to a monopoly on used bikes. If you don't like the price, move on. This is all Economics 101 stuff. If they are charging too much, and enough people aren't buying, they will lower their prices. And vice versa.
Old 01-01-2022, 12:08 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
when I think of price gouging, I think of items that fall into the "must have", like food, electricity, gas, etc... the ability is buy the kind of bikes that TPC sells certainly do NOT fall into the lower levels of Maslow's pyramid...

when the pandemic started and folks were hoarding toilet paper, hand sanitizer, etc and some were trying to sell it at astronomical prices, that's what I would call price gouging... in the conversation of TPC, the new Bronco, other luxury items, it's hard to say it's price gouging when there seems to be a steady supply of the product available, just at a higher price. These are things that, if you have the means, you can buy at a premium, but are not basic needs. So yes, I would say basic economic principles of supply and demand are what is at play here. Is that capitalism? I really have no idea as that term has become so convoluted...
Old 01-01-2022, 12:10 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
This is all Economics 101 stuff. If they are charging too much, and enough people aren't buying, they will lower their prices. And vice versa.
Exactly... once their inventory stacks up, prices will lower... if they are moving enough bikes in and out of inventory at the pace they are comfortable with, the prices will remain as they are.
Old 01-01-2022, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
If you don't like the price, move on.
Some of us believe consumer protections should be in place to help keep people from being taken advantage of..

There are some things TPC does that are bad for the sport and bad for the industry. Some of their listings rely on half-truths and casual omissions to get the item sold - on the hope that the buyer either won't know enough to raise a stink when they get it or won't want to deal with the return hurdle. Having a sour experience when getting your first bike can be enough to turn you off the sport, and that's a shame.

On the other hand, they sometimes have hard to find stuff at reasonable prices - and things that are out of stock elsewhere. They employ people. And they keep a pretty cool museum.

End of the day, I just wish they would do a better job of segregating what they have for sale so people really know what they are getting - an "as-is" section, a "refurbished" section, a "like new section", etc. I don't think their condition grading is as good as it could be, or as accurate.
Old 01-01-2022, 12:20 PM
Back At It!

Quote:

End of the day, I just wish they would do a better job of segregating what they have for sale so people really know what they are getting - an "as-is" section, a "refurbished" section, a "like new section", etc. I don't think their condition grading is as good as it could be, or as accurate.
So I see folks mention this in this thread... maybe I missed it, but has anyone on the forum ever had a bad experience with a TPC bike? I've honestly only seen positive comments from folks who actually bought a bike from them... the listings seem to list any issues like cosmetic or mechanical issues and even gives the bike a score (which I think is often low based on the listing and pictures).

Again, not saying it didn't happen, but I just haven't seen actual customers with negative experiences. Did I just miss the comments?
Old 01-01-2022, 12:23 PM

This thread is gold!

Who thought that a cycling forum could be such a portal for "free" business advice