Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-17-2021, 09:55 AM

Cheeky to ask that much for the bike but I'm not offended.

FWIW I seem to remember someone here recommending that outfit Broken Carbon to repair a frame in the past.

My guess is TPC got burned buying a broken frame and now trying to recoup the loss. I'm curious if that tape is just masking a more cosmetically displeasing repair area. I thought about emailing them to ask, but really don't care enough.
Old 12-17-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Q3 2022, the worm will start to turn and new stuff will become actually available

TPC will be done/different 12 to 24 months after. Especially after Mr. Big got killed by a Peloton

For the record, though consumables are spotty, bike demand isn't all that crazy at the moment
Bike demand crashed here in the SE at the end of Summer. People "want bikes" but nobody is really buying anything. A little e-bike action and generals parts churn but it's been a slow decline since Spring 2020 and then dropped off a cliff.

Don't disagree with you, while I don't think TPC will ever go away, the kind of VC hawks that are into the company now do no let an asset like this go sideways without a huge fight.
Old 12-17-2021, 10:07 AM

I think there's an important lesson here that people are overlooking. When bike people talk about "carbon repair" 90% of what they're actually talking about is the paint on top of it. This repair is probably perfectly fine, but because they left it unpainted, the whole thing looks haphazard. Good paint is expensive, and would probably end up costing more than the carbon part of this repair, but if they had paid to get the paint fixed too, there never would have been a whole thread about what a bad deal that bike is.
Old 12-19-2021, 06:38 AM

Local news story about TPC: https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ough-inventory

They are in my town- Louisville, CO.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Bud
Old 12-19-2021, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Local news story about TPC: https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ough-inventory

They are in my town- Louisville, CO.

Can you browse their inventory in a showroom, or is it all online?
Old 12-19-2021, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxton3fingers View Post
Can you browse their inventory in a showroom, or is it all online?
No I don't think so. You can only pick up something in person that you buy online. But there is no "stop by and check it out" possibility.

Bud
Old 12-19-2021, 10:41 AM

TPC has been great to deal with regarding selling a bike. They just bought from me a 2015 size sm Niner jet 9 that I paid $2400 new for $1500. 7 year old bike mtb in ok condition. Also sold A YT to them and again was very surprised at their offer, much better than offers here or on Pinkbike. Ended up selling it to them. They provide a shipping label and make the process easy. Excellent company!
Old 12-31-2021, 10:05 AM

Help me understand this. This appears to be an SL6 Expert, selling for $5500. While otoh, a new SL7 Expert has a $5500 MSRP per the Spesh website.
https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...c-expert-sl6-m

In addition, the top tube has a similar carbon repair done by the Broken Carbon outfit, and the front CF rim has a small crack in it.
Old 12-31-2021, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
TPC has been great to deal with regarding selling a bike. They just bought from me a 2015 size sm Niner jet 9 that I paid $2400 new for $1500. 7 year old bike mtb in ok condition. Also sold A YT to them and again was very surprised at their offer, much better than offers here or on Pinkbike. Ended up selling it to them. They provide a shipping label and make the process easy. Excellent company!
i don’t see how this is sustainable.
Old 12-31-2021, 06:08 PM

Those in the biz refer to it as an international change bank situation. Quickest way to a private jet...VC capital. Fun while it lasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema View Post
i don’t see how this is sustainable.
Old 01-01-2022, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Can't say I am a TPC fan. I was quite dissappointed that they bought the radavist.
Wait, really?

And here I was thinking the radavist was an alternative to the sell-out CyclingTips...

Nothing's sacred any more. Nothing.
Old 01-01-2022, 06:16 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
Help me understand this. This appears to be an SL6 Expert, selling for $5500. While otoh, a new SL7 Expert has a $5500 MSRP per the Spesh website.

In addition, the top tube has a similar carbon repair done by the Broken Carbon outfit, and the front CF rim has a small crack in it.
What's to understand? They buy a bike, clean it up(they have about 10 wrenches doing this), make it work then sell it....You don't think it's 'worth it'..fair enough, don't buy it.

My son was looking for a 2022 Honda SI..found a new one that was $7500 over sticker price..not worth it to him...

PLUS, what Mark said below.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 01-01-2022 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-01-2022, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
My son was looking for a 2022 Honda SI..found a new one that was $7500 over sticker price..not worth it to him...
Regarding auto markups, the 80’s are back.

The SL6 with repaired tt and cracked front rim, irrational exuberance.
Old 01-01-2022, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post

One big difference is that you can actually get the used and repaired SL6 Expert. The new SL7 Expert has been sold out for months, and probably won't be available again for many months to come.
Old 01-01-2022, 08:10 AM
Head to Ned

Yes, there is price gouging going on in many markets now, not the least of which are housing, auto and moto. If you aren't willing to pay asking price then you won't be buying in many cases. House sale have been beyond crazy in my area. Even asking price isn't gonna do it. We're seeing offers 10-15k over asking price with NO inspection.
MSRP for car/moto sales are the exception too. I was fortunate to find a NH moto dealer who wasn't having any of that with a purchase I made in December. They put you in line with a deposit and as the motos trickled in you'd get a call and complete the sale. They don't see it changing for at least the next six months either.

Value as they say is what someone is willing to pay. Now more than ever!