Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-02-2015, 11:55 PM

I don't often use chamois cream but when I do I prefer Geronimo Pain Cream. It's very popular with multiday offroad riders and racers because it lives up to the hype.

http://apacheherbs.1freecart.com/i/2...pain-cream.htm

One of the owners of the company, Mark Caminiti, has completed the Arizona 750 five times and is on his way to completing his second Triple Crown - Arizona 750, Tour Divide, and Colorado Trail Race in one year.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:33 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
Used Assos for a while but never really like the smell or initial stinging sensation. At OP's rec, I picked up some Dr Naylor Udder Balm. Seems pretty nice so far.

Tim
Use Dr Naylor on you, not your chamois..yes, I realize it gets there but it's medicated, petroleum based(water based stuff doesn't have staying power if ya sweat a lot). Great for rash/chaff type stuff, less lanolin than BagBalm, less greasy, oil of clove, smells better. Great for torn up hands also. Been using it for decades. Pretty cheap too. Yikes, Assos is like $22, Dr Naylor $8 for more.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:01 AM

Doc's

I've been using Doc's Natural Chamois Cream from Doc's Skincare and like it.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:56 AM

I've been using Bag Balm since the beginning of time - 1995 or so. Used Assos for the mentholated freshness, but that was more for the minty fresh feeling after a ride than during it. But for the ride, I've never found anything that works as well as Bag Balm...

-Ray
Old 07-03-2015, 08:17 AM

During the spring and fall I have been using Docs and sometimes Naylors. Docs works for longer rides during those seasons, but once it gets hot, then it seems to not last as long. For this summer I tried Assos and I have ben surprised at how long it will last without ay additional application during a ride, which is what I have to do with Docs (carry single use packets) when it is hot.

I have tried Rapha, DZ nuts, Enzios, Brave Soldier Friction Zone, Mad Alchemy, and for a long time I was a Bag Balm user. All of those were fine for Spring, Winter, Fall, but DZ Nuts, Brave Soldier, and BagBalm held up better in the summer.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:17 AM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Use Dr Naylor on you, not your chamois..yes, I realize it gets there but it's medicated, petroleum based(water based stuff doesn't have staying power if ya sweat a lot). Great for rash/chaff type stuff, less lanolin than BagBalm, less greasy, oil of clove, smells better. Great for torn up hands also. Been using it for decades. Pretty cheap too. Yikes, Assos is like $22, Dr Naylor $8 for more.
Just ordered some Dr Naylor's. Love the price. Particularly in summer, with so much volume riding, going through the pricey stuff gets, well, pricey. Thanks for recco.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:25 AM

Quit using any kind of stuff. With the right saddle and a well-fitted (for me, thin) chamois, I don't need the stuff.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Yup, that is where it was applied.

Tim
Old 07-03-2015, 11:22 AM

For rides under 5 hours I usually don't use anything.

For 6 hour+ endurance races (hardtail MTB) and some long road rides in the summer I have switched to Assos. Works all day long and my butt feels happy afterwards (well, as happy as it can after being 'massaged' by many hours of single track ;-)

Assos is expensive. But I only use it for long rides, so total annual cost is not bad at all (first tub lasted 2 years).
Old 07-06-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
I don't often use chamois cream but when I do I prefer Geronimo Pain Cream. It's very popular with multiday offroad riders and racers because it lives up to the hype.

http://apacheherbs.1freecart.com/i/2...pain-cream.htm

One of the owners of the company, Mark Caminiti, has completed the Arizona 750 five times and is on his way to completing his second Triple Crown - Arizona 750, Tour Divide, and Colorado Trail Race in one year.
Sware by it!!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2015, 08:47 AM

I like the "Relief" cream that is made/sold by Nalini. It's sometimes hard to find, so I sometimes order 4-5 jars with an order from a euro mail order house. the only downside that I have discovered is that the liquid will separate out if it gets hot, so you don't want to leave it in your gear bag in the car on a hot summer day. It seems to last the duration of a long, hot sweaty ride yet washes out of the chamois nicely in the laundry.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassa View Post
I've been using Doc's Natural Chamois Cream from Doc's Skincare and like it.
I really like Doc's and just went back to it. It seems to hold up well on long rides in hot weather and washes out well. It's also a decent value as it comes in an 8 oz container.

Mad Alchemy Pro+ is ok but kind of goes away after 4-5 hours. A buddy brought some extra Butt'r on our last longer ride where I used Mad Alchemy and it was super nice to reapply something to get me through the last few hours.

Also like DZ Nuts, Assos and Gooch Guard in no particular order.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:21 AM

Switched from Assos to DZ Nuts.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:31 AM

Rapha. Very nice scent and feel. Plus its active ingredients are made from plants grown on Mt. Ventoux.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassa View Post
i've been using doc's natural chamois cream from doc's skincare and like it.
+1.