Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-01-2015, 01:23 PM

OT tires... for a compact car

As picky as I am about the kicks for my bike, I have no idea how to shop for car tires, I've always just called a couple of places nearby and asked what they had in stock and would recommend. Lame. It's home improvement season and, once again, I keep picking up nails and screws in the neighborhood from the damn handymen that don't clean up properly . My little Scion XB has small rims (P185/60 R15) that leave me little time to slow down and get off the road when I notice a flat before the sidewall is bruised or cut, and it's getting expensive. The choices look overwhelming- but it looks like the way to go is through an online wholesaler and have them installed by my mechanic whom I really like and trust- I bring him cookies just because he's saved me big headaches and $$$ over many years. In shopping for new tires, where is the sweet spot cost-wise? For this car, durability>high performance, I've slowed down since my I'm-gonna-miss-my-racewarmup-roadie days, and this car seldom sees snow/ice, or extended highway trips, mostly just around town and weekend bike events. Any general advice? Do brands matter here? Thanks in advance!
Old 07-01-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennmotion View Post
As picky as I am about the kicks for my bike, I have no idea how to shop for car tires, I've always just called a couple of places nearby and asked what they had in stock and would recommend. Lame. It's home improvement season and, once again, I keep picking up nails and screws in the neighborhood from the damn handymen that don't clean up properly . My little Scion XB has small rims (P185/60 R15) that leave me little time to slow down and get off the road when I notice a flat before the sidewall is bruised or cut, and it's getting expensive. The choices look overwhelming- but it looks like the way to go is through an online wholesaler and have them installed by my mechanic whom I really like and trust- I bring him cookies just because he's saved me big headaches and $$$ over many years. In shopping for new tires, where is the sweet spot cost-wise? For this car, durability>high performance, I've slowed down since my I'm-gonna-miss-my-racewarmup-roadie days, and this car seldom sees snow/ice, or extended highway trips, mostly just around town and weekend bike events. Any general advice? Do brands matter here? Thanks in advance!
Not really for tire choices, but I just had to replace one & went through Tire Rack. They shipped to an installer in Burke (I'm in Nova, too) & it was pretty painless. Not a huge savings, but would be on four. If you trust your car guy, ask him. Even if you buy online, he could install.
And, who is your car guy? Always looking for a good mechanic I can trust.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Not really for tire choices, but I just had to replace one & went through Tire Rack. They shipped to an installer in Burke (I'm in Nova, too) & it was pretty painless. Not a huge savings, but would be on four. If you trust your car guy, ask him. Even if you buy online, he could install.
And, who is your car guy? Always looking for a good mechanic I can trust.
Thanks, my mechanic may be a bit far for you, he's in Arlington, Japanese Auto Service located near the Virginia Square metro, I've been going to him for many years, he works on all makes. Sent you a PM with address and phone number.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:01 PM

I have bought two sets of tires through Tire Rack. Find your make and model and year and go through the ratings.

I can't advise on installation. You can ask a local tire dealer what they will charge to install.

Car tires are a relative bargain compared to good bike tires. You can probably get 4 new and high quality tires for $500. It's not cheap, but they'll last 50,000 miles and bike tires don't last 10% of that.

Don't skimp and get cheap tires. At the very least get the same ones the car came with but you can probably do better than that. Tire Rack is a good place to at least do research by looking at ratings from actual buyers.

Last edited by saab2000; 07-01-2015 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:15 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

+1 on Tire Rack.

I've purchased both winter tires (Bizzak sp?) mounted on steel rims and unmounted tires from them. A local shop I use had no problems with me bringing the four tires in and swapping them out for the ones on the car.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:18 PM

Another +1 on Tire Rack. The other suggestion is get a quote from them and see if your local place will match/beat it. Always nice to support local businesses when you can.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:20 PM

Costco

installed Michelins on my 2004 Rav4. Those tires changed the quietude of that car a lot. No appointments at Costco, but free flat fix, free rotate, free hydrogen. I think mostly Tire Rack does well too, but not so much after the sale.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:26 PM

If you have Discount Tire Stores near you I recommend them highly for price/service/free rotations/balancing.

As others have said Tire Rack is as good as I can imagine a mail-order business being. Their thorough tests and consumer reviews should give you the info you need to make a wise choice for your usage. The installers they refer buyers to have to perform well or lose the Tire Rack business.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
+1 on Tire Rack.

I've purchased both winter tires (Bizzak sp?) mounted on steel rims and unmounted tires from them. A local shop I use had no problems with me bringing the four tires in and swapping them out for the ones on the car.
+1 on Tire Rack as well. Also, they should have a list of auto shops/tire places that will receive your tires and do the install. If I recall correctly, Tire Rack also had the prices the shop charged for the install. I had mine shipped to a NTB and worked out well....apparently the NTB I used did this service often for tires purchased from Tire Rack
Old 07-01-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
installed Michelins on my 2004 Rav4. Those tires changed the quietude of that car a lot. No appointments at Costco, but free flat fix, free rotate, free hydrogen. I think mostly Tire Rack does well too, but not so much after the sale.
Nitrogen, not hydrogen... think Hindenburg
Old 07-01-2015, 03:59 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
If you have Discount Tire Stores near you I recommend them highly for price/service/free rotations/balancing.
For me, Discount Tire always comes out cheaper than TireRack. May depend on your locale. I had some Yokohama Avid's in that size, which I was happy with. If nails/debris weren't a concern, Michelin Destiny are awesome.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:02 PM

Michelin Premier A/S on my Honda Fit. They're very nice. Pricey, but not a whole lot more than the Dunlops they replaced, probably because they're an odd small size. Much more quiet than the Dunlops, rated at 60,000 miles, and they don't lose grip when worn. Check them out.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=Premier+A%2FS
Old 07-01-2015, 04:03 PM

ooops

That Rav could haul ass with hydrogen. Glad it's nitro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yngpunk View Post
Nitrogen, not hydrogen... think Hindenburg
Old 07-01-2015, 04:24 PM

?

?
Old 07-01-2015, 04:48 PM

Love Tire Rack.
Both for higher performance tires for my BMW wagon as well as for my minivan.
I think the sweetspot is a decent all-season by Michelin, Bridgestone, whatever.

Those Michelins above look great. I absolutely love my Michelin Alpin winter tires and I've heard good things about their all-seasons

Last edited by Avincent52; 07-01-2015 at 06:09 PM.