Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-02-2015, 05:42 AM

In 2009, I climbed L'Alpe d'Huez. I was accompanied by Helen, the hostess at the King of the Mountain Inn there (http://www.kingofthemountains.co.uk). The bike was a rental. She told me before we started that I wouldn't die from a bike wreck going up, but I could coming down. She emphasized that it wasn't my bike and while it looked good, there was no known history of it. In other words, take it easy on the way down. As we began the descent, she took off like a falcon in a dive to get a pigeon. I was a turn behind her before I knew it. I found myself braking hard going into the curves, releasing the levers through the curve and doing all I could to slow the bike before the next hairpin. But, it was a blast!!
Old 07-02-2015, 06:35 AM
Evil Genius

Interesting...but considering the highest recorded (in competition) downhill skiing speed is 96mph or so, I feel like we're sensationalizing something that really is barely an issue. In the face of doping pressures and vehicular encounters, is this really what we're concerned about?

Of course, I've been fortunate to be a good descender. (Necessarily, since I'm slow as hell going UP the other side.) I think the key is understanding your line and how the bike reacts to your weight. Too many people get hung up trying to steer the bike and move their weight in the opposite direction they should be moving during a high-speed turn. If you're going to chicken out in a turn, scrub the speed BEFORE YOU GET THERE, don't freak out and sit up, only to go over the side.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maddox View Post
... I feel like we're sensationalizing something that really is barely an issue. In the face of doping pressures and vehicular encounters, is this really what we're concerned about?
Off the top of my head, yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wouter_Weylandt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI8iOqgIy5I
You will note how cautious Quintana has been descending this season
Old 07-02-2015, 07:21 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Interesting...but considering the highest recorded (in competition) downhill skiing speed is 96mph or so, I feel like we're sensationalizing something that really is barely an issue. In the face of doping pressures and vehicular encounters, is this really what we're concerned about?
I think we can focus on more than one thing at the same time. Skiers are on closed courses, usually with some run out area to the sides of the course and energy absorbing fencing designed to catch and slow and out of control skiier.

In cycling, they may throw a few hay bales in front of an especially nasty corner. There are plenty of sheer cliffs that have no safety measures at all. And many corners just have concrete walls as the 'energy absorbing' barriers...

It is a concern. Not the biggest, but rider safety should be paramount.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:43 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
I think we can focus on more than one thing at the same time. Skiers are on closed courses, usually with some run out area to the sides of the course and energy absorbing fencing designed to catch and slow and out of control skiier.

In cycling, they may throw a few hay bales in front of an especially nasty corner. There are plenty of sheer cliffs that have no safety measures at all. And many corners just have concrete walls as the 'energy absorbing' barriers...

It is a concern. Not the biggest, but rider safety should be paramount.
I am braver when a mistake might have me sliding along in quilted clothing on snow than when I might be grinding my bare skin along asphalt.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:16 PM
Evil Genius

But this is ROAD RACING we're talking about. Riders are racing on roads built and maintained for vehicular traffic, not specialized Speed-Racer stunt tracks meant to optimize spills and spectacles for the cameras. If we want to consider the riders' safety first and foremost, how far away are we from having no more road races, and simply constraining bicycle traffic and racing to specialized, approved tracks? I posit that minimizing risk should actually mean "retaining acceptable risk," with emphasis on "acceptable." Providing riders with a challenge that IS a threat to life and health is...well...just a part of this sport. Otherwise, we're just ping-pong.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:

Of course, I've been fortunate to be a good descender. (Necessarily, since I'm slow as hell going UP the other side.) I think the key is understanding your line and how the bike reacts to your weight. Too many people get hung up trying to steer the bike and move their weight in the opposite direction they should be moving during a high-speed turn. If you're going to chicken out in a turn, scrub the speed BEFORE YOU GET THERE, don't freak out and sit up, only to go over the side.
I would bet that 96 on snow with safety nets feels marginally better than 70 on asphalt. I wouldn't want to do either, but if I had to choose... Fifty on public roads can be quite scary, especially when there is a possibility of gravel, twigs, or an oncoming car creeping over the yellow. Add high winds and it can be a nightmare regardless of skill.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:32 PM

I saw this article on WSJ and read every word. Great article. My wife kept asking what I was so interested in.... It really seemed like the author put in a lot of effort to write that piece.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:08 AM

Quote:
But this is ROAD RACING we're talking about. Riders are racing on roads built and maintained for vehicular traffic, not specialized Speed-Racer stunt tracks meant to optimize spills and spectacles for the cameras. If we want to consider the riders' safety first and foremost, how far away are we from having no more road races, and simply constraining bicycle traffic and racing to specialized, approved tracks? I posit that minimizing risk should actually mean "retaining acceptable risk," with emphasis on "acceptable." Providing riders with a challenge that IS a threat to life and health is...well...just a part of this sport. Otherwise, we're just ping-pong.
We are heaps far away from what you are suggesting.

This is the real world where we can make compromises to a route that maximised rider safety. We do not live in a hypothetical textbook world where there are two options, polar opposites of each other, such as treacherous mountain passes versus sterile indoor cycling tracks.

There is inherent risk in any form of cycle racing and thats certainly part of what makes it all exciting. Sending the peleton down psuedo goat tracks is just a bridge too far. That's all that's being talked about here.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:47 AM

Prudhomme notes tonight's stage and the descent off the Allos as a key point in the race - bring it on!

Jimmymoots - did you know there's been lots of reports lately of thumbtacks and oil dumped on the descent of New Norton Summit. I commonly do +65 down there and at that speed I'd not want to have to deal with extra issues like that.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustychisel View Post
Jimmymoots - did you know there's been lots of reports lately of thumbtacks and oil dumped on the descent of New Norton Summit. I commonly do +65 down there and at that speed I'd not want to have to deal with extra issues like that.
Yeah I did hear about the tacks and oil. All things considered it is pretty disappointing. In my mind tacks are one thing - an inconvenience and you should be able to hopefully 'ride one out' whether descending or ascending - but oil is a different story.

Given that plenty of motorcyclists hoot through there too, it is going to be a matter of time before someone loses their life if it continues.

I hear tacks are appearing on Anzac Highway and Military Road, too. Unintended (but entirely predictable) consequence of the media coverage.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy-moots View Post
I hear tacks are appearing on Anzac Highway and Military Road, too.
Thanks, hadn't heard, I just clued up through the AC forum.