Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-01-2015, 01:01 PM
Classics Fan

WSJ Exposé on Descents in Cycling

I use the word exposé in jest, sort of. It seems to be a pretty well researched article.

The Madness of Descent: Downhills at the Tour de France Test Cyclists Against Time, Danger and One Another By Joshua Robinson

Quote:
“I see sometimes on social networks, ‘They don’t dare try anything. Shouldn’t we have a time-trial in a descent?’ ” Tour de France director Christian Prudhomme said, referring to stages when the riders go out one-by-one and race the clock. “We would never do that. It would be irresponsible. It’s insane. Yes, it could spice things up, but to what extent: killing people? It makes no sense.”
Old 07-01-2015, 01:49 PM

Pretty crazy. Don't get too many big descents in the amateur ranks but I have always loved going down hill. Why not? You struggle so hard to get up there may as well enjoy the ride down. Worst crash in a race I ever saw was in a Pro/Am race in a switch back left on a big descent.

There was a guard rail and then what looked like a cliff into the woods. A guy on the inside went down and proceeded to slide across the road taking out riders with him. They all just went up and over the guardrail. I was sure some one died or at least was seriously injured. It unfolded right in front of me and behind I watched a guy just disappear into the abyss. It almost made me sick but we all just kept going.

Found out later no one died fortunately though there was some pretty bad injuries including one guy losing a part of his ear. Another guy wrote a blog post the next day, I think he was the one I saw just disappear over the edge, he some how managed to grab a tree and was stuck in a tree 20-30ft above the ground.

They didn't have that descent in the following years lol
Old 07-01-2015, 02:04 PM
Vendor

I know that this is all 'wuss' of me. But play it out not today vs tomorrow, but in decades. Increased professionalism in the sport = increased competition. Increased technology = increased speeds/reduced drag/more aero. Increased demands = increased risks. All against decreased margins for error =...

I always think of the descents when I see these new bikes. Lighter, Faster.... more dangerous?

That new Venge is going to be quite suicidal going downhill if we're to believe the aero claims. Hope they ain't on the Tramadol and they've got good tires.

rubber side down boys
Old 07-01-2015, 02:04 PM

Wow, that's a cool article.

I don't have the bike handling skills to be a good descender. On group rides, this is the time I drop off and make my way down at a speed that's pushing my envelope, but still involves a lot of braking and speed scrubbing. Knowing one's limits is important.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:15 PM

And here I thought it was about a re-emerging clothing brand in the pro peloton.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:46 PM

I think it's funny that the author thinks lighter bikes contribute to downhill speed.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:17 PM

Great piece. The graphics and videos are excellent--better than the NYT, which started the seamless integration of longer-form descriptive journalism with video and graphics in 2012 with the article on the avalanche and skiing deaths at Alpental (http://www.nytimes.com/projects/2012/snow-fall/). I noticed that the WSJ didn't try to dumb things down too much for the general audience.

But are descents getting faster? The article doesn't say it outright, but the implication is clear:

Quote:
“There’s been a flurry in the last couple of years of guys like Nibali, who have seen that there are gains to be made in the descents,” said Dave Brailsford, the architect of Team Sky’s victories in the 2012 and 2013 Tours.

Bicycle makers continue to produce lighter machines with better grip and more powerful brakes. Riders have been flirting with unheard of speeds during descents, touching 70 miles an hour. And race organizers have been responding with more challenging mountain stages than ever. The past four editions of the Tour all featured at least 11 downhill sections so steep that the road lost 50 meters in vertical elevation per kilometer. Ten of the descents in this summer’s race are even stiffer, averaging at least a 6% downhill, including the notoriously technical Col d’Allos in the race’s final week.
Quote:
In the sport’s rampant doping years, all the focus was on the climb—the area where riders with enhanced blood could make up the most ground. But today, with doping believed to be far less prevalent, one of the biggest advantages seems to be a matter of guts. Descending barely requires pedaling, just seriously advanced bike handling. The only limit is the rider’s appetite for risk.
I'm sure there's a database somewhere of descent times

Meantime, I'm going to re-watch Stage 5 of the Dauphine, which is exactly the same as Stage 17 of the Tour. The descending starts shortly after 34:00 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XMfV-jBvJ0
(thanks to CyclingHub.tv)
Old 07-01-2015, 05:02 PM

The 1987 Giro had a TT down the Poggio in San Remo. I thoguht it was kind of cool. a downhill TT need not be off an HC mountain. a small downhill would be good.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:37 PM

WSJ Exposé on Descents in Cycling

Some terrific video. I like to descend fast, which is bit at odds with mr profession in risk management. ;-)
Old 07-01-2015, 06:13 PM

Descending fast after you've crashed badly descending… now that takes guts. Or insanity.

Because you know full well what the consequences can be.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:03 PM

The article mentioned Fabio Casartelli. I do not know if it was the same year or the following year, but remember a little girl holding up a poster saying "Adieu Fabio" after he crashed and died on the descent. Had a lasting effect on me.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:39 PM

Interesting timing. I lost an old buddy last week to a crash while descending. The margin of error is so slim...
Old 07-01-2015, 11:53 PM

Didn't the USPRO challenge have a downhill prologue a couple of years ago through the Garden of the Gods? Not a full TT, but still...
Old 07-02-2015, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benc View Post
Interesting timing. I lost an old buddy last week to a crash while descending. The margin of error is so slim...
Sorry for your loss.

I try to hold a little back on descents but you never know and the speed can be so great.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benc View Post
Sorry to hear that.