Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-05-2015, 09:27 AM

Anything new/interesting in the world of red tail lights?

My cheapo PDW Red Planet gave up the ghost. I'm looking at the Knog Blinder and Blinder Road, but am open to other suggestions (Dinotte is outside my budget). I like that the Blinder Road has a toned-down setting for group rides, because nobody likes sitting on "that" wheel.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:47 AM

I'm in the market for a new tail light, too. I've been considering the Cygolite Hotshot Micro 2w...mostly, because it has a 100 hour running time while in the "group mode" setting.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:54 AM
Everything is connected

I'm on my second micro as the battery in the original unit wouldn't perform in cold weather. The new one has been fine and the unit has a Paceline mode as requested.

http://www.lightandmotion.com/choose-your-light/vis-180
Old 01-05-2015, 10:09 AM

I spent Saturday researching this exact same thing after the Tom Palermo tragedy made me realise that being seen is of paramount importance. I think the Dinotte is the brightest light out there from what I can find. In the end I compromised and bought the Light and Motion Vis 180. It is around $100 and made out of aluminum, has a max output of 70 Lumens, is USB rechargable and gets very good reviews. It is made in the US as well which is an important consideration to me. The other I was tempted by is the lights by Serfas, I think the TL-60 was about $40 and gets good reviews also and has been replaced/updated by a TL-80 which is 80 lumens but that was $80 and about price equivalent to the Vis 180. Can't give you a user review until Tuesday though.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:07 PM
il Curmudgeoni

I'm pretty happy with the CatEye Rapid 5. I've been told by others that it's pretty easy to see (on flash) from a distance even in bright daylight. It has 5 settings so group rides aren't a problem.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:13 PM

My Lights and Motion rear light doesn't blink....it just pulsates. They claim that's safer than blinking. That a strong blinking light MAY draw a car into you. Wonder if there is any science to that claim?
Old 01-05-2015, 12:23 PM

I've got lot's tail lights, and i ride most every weekday in the dark. I have a dinotte--too bright in some circumstances. I like the serfas thunderbolt. very easy to put on and off, no mount etc.
try the new opauqe color. can be seen from the side really well.

https://www.serfas.com/products/view...%7Ctail-lights
Old 01-05-2015, 12:40 PM

Designshine Lights I have had set of these lights for 2 1/2 years. Won't go out on the roads without them. I use them on both a Cervelo and Catrike. Easy on and off. Front and back can be seen for over a mile in the brightest daylight (I get comments by cyclists and motorists alike on how bright they are in daylight.) There are plenty of lights available for night use, but few are adequate for daylight use. Although not inexpensive they offer the best mode customization, mounting (off the shelf Cateye mounts) and brightness I have found along with the best customer service I have experienced. No connection with the builder, just one satisfied customer.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:19 PM
powered by red

dinotte

everything else does not compare:

http://store.dinottelighting.com/new...tery-p111.aspx
Old 01-05-2015, 01:27 PM

Thunderbolt is the best for commuting. Dionette are the best for long distance riding
Old 01-05-2015, 01:39 PM
Barely Hanging On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramor View Post
Designshine Lights I have had set of these lights for 2 1/2 years. Won't go out on the roads without them. I use them on both a Cervelo and Catrike. Easy on and off. Front and back can be seen for over a mile in the brightest daylight (I get comments by cyclists and motorists alike on how bright they are in daylight.) There are plenty of lights available for night use, but few are adequate for daylight use. Although not inexpensive they offer the best mode customization, mounting (off the shelf Cateye mounts) and brightness I have found along with the best customer service I have experienced. No connection with the builder, just one satisfied customer.
It seems that everyone who has used DesignShine lights completely swears by them, which is certainly an endorsement as we cyclists tend to be quite critical. I also recall reading that their inventor, whose name escapes me, decided he wanted something that would be a lot brighter than the Dinotte light, which itself seems to be considered by far the best generally available light on the market.

Since the OP asked about what's new, the newest entrant into the lighting market is Orfos, or rather will be since they will be shipping the initial units to Kickstarter backers starting in the middle of January. The one thing the Orfos has over the DesignShine is that it is self-contained and has more mounting options, though it is still not as bright in terms of lumens.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:04 PM

I would avoid the Knog Blinder like it had the plague. I gave up on my third Blinder after it broke two rides in. Badly designed hunk of junk.

I've had good luck with Lezyne's rear lights. They come in varying intensities.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:12 PM

I'm using the NiteRider Solas USB. It has been going for about a year. Very good visibility, good choice of modes. The battery charge lasts pretty well, I'd guess 8 hours of run time between charges, generally, but we'll see how that holds up. The test I read before I got it had tested it for daylight visibility at 250 yds. Sounds good, at least. I had had excellent luck with the Niterider Lumina 650 headlight, so I gave this one a shot.

I'm sure there are brighter ones out there, but this is a good choice if compact-ness and simplicity are part of your list.

Oh, and I thought it was great that Lanternerouge responded to a thread about red tail lights
Old 01-05-2015, 02:13 PM

My usual go to light is a Dinotte 300R, but its mounting bracket makes it impossible to use on my seatpost if I also want to use a small saddle bag. It's a big light, that sits upward from the mounting bracket, taking up most of the seatpost length. I'm a firm believer in keeping the light as high and centered as possible, eliminating the choice to use it on chain or seat stays.

I recently purchased a Serfas TL-80...great light, small profile and very bright. However, I can't recommend it due to the mounting bracket. The light itself is fairly heavy and it simply overwhelms the cheap bracket that ships with the unit. After a few bumps the light will begin to tilt down, rendering it much less effective. Since I really like the light, I'm about to use some super glue to fix the mounting angle. Hopefully that will fix the problem with an otherwise perfect light.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
My usual go to light is a Dinotte 300R, but its mounting bracket makes it impossible to use on my seatpost if I also want to use a small saddle bag. It's a big light, that sits upward from the mounting bracket, taking up most of the seatpost length. I'm a firm believer in keeping the light as high and centered as possible, eliminating the choice to use it on chain or seat stays.

Still above seatstays, with room left for an Arundel Uno. The 300R is also angled down, maintaining good visibility for drivers and no complaints on day group rides. In fact it stimulated another rider to order a Dinotte.

The 300R is only about 140lm but as above, the light beam can be directed. Most of the off-the-shelf brands recommended here, that rival Dinotte on power, cannot have their light beams directed away. They shines practically all the way up and down.

IMG_1316 by pigmode, on Flickr