Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2004, 06:59 PM

real name- Carl
residence- San Antonio
explanation of handle- seems as those who don't know my name call me that which is better than some that I have been called
explanation of avatar- ran across the longhorn on a hike in the Texas boonies and had my picture taken with it
age- will be 67 in a couple of months so this probably makes me the oldest guy on the forum
occupation- emeritus professor of engineering of The Ohio State University and consultant
favorite bike- Serotta Ottrott
bikes in stable- Serotta Colorado (ca. 1990), Cannodale (ca 1986), Trek 850 MTB (ca 1983)
pictures of me and bikes- Imagine the oldest guy in the forum on a bike
fastest speed on a road bike- 40+ mph on descent from Independance Pass
number of miles on a bike last year- 9,300 miles; presently at 8,501 miles for this year
biggest lie- I NEVER told a lie
and something fun- A fellow grabbed the wheel of my son who in turn was on my wheel as we road the mountains of Colorado. The fellow said to my son, "Your buddy is a pretty strong rider." My son said, "He's not my buddy; he's my dad." The fellow replied, "Your daddy is a pretty strong rider." You had to be there to appreciate it.

One does what one does best.

"Life is like a bicycle.
To Keep your balance you must keep moving."
A. Einstein, Feb. 5, 1930
Old 12-14-2004, 09:35 PM
spokhal

Another new guy

Real name- Barry
Where do you live? Spokane, WA, which from the standpoint of terrain is just a wonderful place to bike. And I'm learning to toughen up and ride through more of the winter weather.
Explanation of your handle- Combination of part of my home with part of my last name
Explanation of your avatar- Perhaps that should be a goal for the New Year
Age- 49
Occupation- Neonatologist
Favorite bike- 2004 Serotta Concours
What's in your stable? Concours, KHS tandem, Diamondback commuter/beater, Giant MTN bike set up for snow and ice
Fastest speed on a road bike- 43 mph going down High Drive
How many miles on a road bike past year- about 1300, which is my personal best as an "adult" although certainly leaves room for improvement for next year
Picture of yourself - maybe some other time
Make up and answer 1 additional question- Biggest biking thrill this past year? I finally at age 49 have become comfortable riding without hands.
What is the biggest lie you ever told? It's me, not the bike.
And something fun- This past year my teenage son who has Down syndrome has been able to bike on the tandem with me, which has opened up all sorts of new biking possibilities for the whole family.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:43 PM
Post Mod-ern

Wink Oh, if you insist! . . .

* real name, if you like . . . Dave
* where do you live? . . . Upstate NY
* explanation of your handle . . . When I picked up my bike, The Queen Bee, somebody in the shop said “It looks like a bumblebee”
* explanation of your avatar . . . Picture of my real appearance, senor!
* age (general or specific) . . . 45, turning 46 too soon, too soon . . .
* occupation . . . Communications professional
* favorite bike . . . Uh, I refuse to answer this question on the grounds that the Queen may get jealous and slide out on Crawford Road “by accident” . . .
* what's in your stable? . . . ‘01 Legend (The Queen Bee) . . . LOOK 585 (The Red Rocket) . . . Specialized S-Works Zebra Edition . . . Redline cross . . . ‘95 Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo . . . ‘84 Vitus 979 hanging in the basement waiting for retoration
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 54 and change on Crawford Road
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? . . . 3660 . . . more than last year, when I crashed and broke my neck.
* make up and answer at least one additional question . . . What’s ‘yer favorite music? . . . U2, The Roches, and THE RAINMAKERS, Baby!
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told . . . That I’m really happy being divorced and have no desire to find a nice lady to ride alongside and shack up with.
* and, something fun . . . Any sunny summer weekend day with no other commitments and 60-70 miles in my legs.
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats

Last edited by BumbleBeeDave; 12-30-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:16 PM

you know my name--I'm a real estate broker. I'll be 62 2/17/05
I don't know anyone named avatar though I met a Gupta once.
I can't seem to get over 47mph on La Jolla Shores Drive.
Stable holds: Bridgestone MB3, Marin Rift Zone, "Stelvio" w/Nuove Record, Rivendell Allrounder, Rambouillet, Romulus, Waterford RS11, Csi, Legend.
Lie: Honest Officer, I thought I knew the lady. About 2,000 miles on the road 2004. Favorite bike is usually the one I'm on--I like this whole stable and there's one for every mood.
Here's a picture of the one I love with the ones she loves.

Last edited by Ken Robb; 12-15-2004 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:14 AM
commuter racer

this is all great...

But who the hell is the Oracle??? And what does he do? And where does he get the knowledge to discern the difference between a real and a fake Hamada pot? Racing in Portland? Europe?? ...Jet Setter?? Hmmmm...
Old 12-15-2004, 09:54 AM
the antiviper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N.
I'm gonna have to say Beatles, Stones, CCR. Jeff N.
No, no, no! Please remember, all my esthetic judgements are correct!

More seriously, if you've got any interest in understanding why VU were so great, just buy the box set "Peel Slowly and See". Their four stunning, groundbreaking albums, surrounded by enough rarities and live tracks to make the picture complete.

I'll go home and put on "Cosmo's Factory"...
Old 12-15-2004, 02:01 PM
TAW

Wink Who are you?

Name: Terry
Bikes Owned: Serotta CSI, Look KG 361
Fastest Speed: 48 I think on a short steep hill with a curve at the bottom,
was afraid to look for too long

Miles: 3100
Just for fun: I jokingly tell people at church I shave my legs because I'm a
cross-dresser in my spare time.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAW
Just for fun: I jokingly tell people at church I shave my legs because I'm a
cross-dresser in my spare time.
You don't think that dressing in tight lycra actually qualifies as cross dressing?

Last edited by flydhest; 12-15-2004 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Serotta_Janelle made me do it...

* real name, if you like Serotta_Alyson
* where do you live? Clifton Park, NY
* explanation of your avatar Hmmm, maybe I should make one...
* age (general or specific) too old
* occupation Baby-sitter
* favorite bike My last bike was a Huffy White Heat. It was white with gray paint splattered all over it with a hot pink water bottle and matching fanny pack. It was amazing.
* what's in your stable? 2000 White Jeep Cherokee Sport
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? When I was 8, I was going down the hill I used to live on REAL fast. Instead of using the pedal backwards brakes, I started to drag my feet to slow down. VERY good way to twist your ankle! I never went fast on a bike again.
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? I drive 200 miles a week to work and back, does that count?
* picture of yourself or your ride? Nah.
* make up and answer at least one additional question.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told I don't mind moderating the forum!
* and, something fun. I used to live in Italy. I'm not sure why I came back...
Old 12-15-2004, 03:48 PM
commuter racer

are you unhappy Serotta Alyson??
Old 12-15-2004, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster
are you unhappy Serotta Alyson??
Of course not! Its just very cold here and that makes me :argue: :argue: :argue: !!
Old 12-15-2004, 05:07 PM

Real name -- Rich or "Mac", if you go for the nickname
Where do you live --- Kailua, on the island of Oahu, Hawaii
Explanation of your handle -- last name starts with Mc
Age -- 53, but no one believes that when I sign up for the Golden Masters division
Occupation -- manage an independent Mercedes repair shop
Favorite bike -- Seven Ti Axiom, but I lust after many others (Parlee, Serotta, Colnago)
What's in your stable -- 2004 Ti Axiom, 2003 Douglas Fusion -- working toward a Serotta CDA
Fastest speed on a road bike -- 48 mph downhill from Makapuu Point with a 25 mph crosswind -- I was so busy with the gusts and traffic that I had to look afterward at the top speed registered.
How many miles on the road? -- I'll hit just about 4,000 this year.
Make up and answer at least one additional question --- Does it take lots of guts to fly hang gliders? No, it just takes a lot of faith in yourself.
The biggest lie you've ever told -- "I'm not crazy, just dumb"
Something fun -- besides having a few brews with the buds after a good ride, it could be cross country windsurfing from Koko Head Portlock to Diamond Head with the gang, hanging out in the pack together in the deep ocean swells on a rest break, watching the flying fish and the Island go by. That and a couple of memorable cross country hang gliding flights.

Last edited by RichMc; 12-15-2004 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:17 PM
Marron

where do you live? North Seattle, on the east side of one of the ubiqutous drumlins that make east/west travel such a pain here.
* explanation of your handle:Maiden name of Irish born paternal grandma and given name of WWII war hero uncle.
* explanation of your avatar: I guess I should get one too.
* age (general or specific) 53, age at which my father had a fatal coronary.
* favorite bike: Any Merckx
* what's in your stable? Merckx MX-Leader, TI-AX, Corsa Extra and Gunnar Roadie.
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 53+ on Davidison Tandem on Whidby Island with wife wailing away the whole time, 1990??
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? Not sure, but I commute 35 miles roundtrip 3-4 days a week and ride lots on weekends.
* picture of yourself or your ride? I don't have any around at the moment, but I did get my picture in Bicycle Guide when I won a Torelli back in '92. I was in a foot of snow with my Bstone MB-1. One of the ones I regret selling.
* make up and answer at least one additional question. My first "real" bike was a Falcon San Remo purchased back in '70 for the unbelievable price of $210.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told: I stuck with my Powertap's report that I averaged 310 watts for 90 minutes climbing up to Paradise.
* and, something fun. I plan to fix the MX-Leader this weekend. Doesn't everybody need a sunny Sunday fixie?
Old 12-16-2004, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serotta_Alyson
* occupation Baby-sitter
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told I don't mind moderating the forum!

Hmmm -- are you saying we're poorly behaved babies??
Old 12-16-2004, 03:28 PM
Ding-a-ling

My Serotta saved my life

* real name, if you like: Trent
* where do you live? North Georgia
* explanation of your handle: I am a huge Jimmy Buffett fan
* explanation of your avatar: No tengo...I tried to figure it out once, but it was taking too long.
* age (general or specific) 32
* occupation: Editor (project manager is a more accurate description) for the second largest College Textbook Publisher.
* favorite bike Schwinn Traveler...my first road bike.
* what's in your stable? I have four kids...I only get one bike...a '93 Serotta Concours
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 55, Swan Mountain Road, Dillon Valley, CO area...1991
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? @1000 on the road...many predawn hours on the trainer...8 so far this week (it's Thurs.)
* picture of yourself or your ride?
* What has Serotta done for you lately: I hung up the racing jersey when I got married. 8 years past and I started digging my grave with my teeth. When I was fit for my bike, I had a size 40 waist. I went into the store the other day, and bought size 34 pants. I have stopped snoring like a bear, can see veins in my arms that I haven't seen for years, and have conquered my issue with mind over mattress. Though I am only about halfway to where I was before the downhill slide, I feel much better about all aspects of my life. None of this would have been possible without my Serotta.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told. I blamed a bent fender on my sister. A lie that I am going to have to take to my grave...regretably.
* and, something fun: My wife and I love taking pictures, but we are terrible at having them developed. The other day, I took 58 rolls of film to have developed and put on disks. I have spent the last two days reminiscing great times that have faded from memory.
Breathe in, breathe out, move on

--J. Buffett