Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-30-2015, 10:43 PM

Team SC

Another CL ad with poor info: When I lived in LA a guy in Sacramento posted an ad for an "Eddy Mercks" bike with a couple of very poor pictures. It was easily identifiable as a Team SC but when I told him I only wanted the frame he said "for $100 more just take the whole thing". Turned out to be a nearly new, barely ridden frame and Ultegra 6700 series groupset, all for <$500.

2nd best was being the only bidder on a set of "Campagnolo sew ups" on eBay....for the life of me I don't know why no-one else bid. They were 10spd Record hubs laced to Mavic Paris Roubaix SSC rims and the pictures were great....they had a heavy coat of glue, but after removing they looked and spun like new. I sold them to someone here when I needed cash a few years back....would kill to get those back in my stable!
Old 06-30-2015, 11:43 PM
Formerly rchman

I feel like I got a pretty good deal on my 2012 Xicon frame. I was injured and unable to ride at the time, with the concern that I may possibly not be able to ride again without pain. So, I was looking to get rid of the Parlee and get another Litespeed. I searched all over Craigslist and couldn't find a Siena or Archon/T1 but I did stumble across this Xicon, previously built by a shop but not ridden for $850. I called and asked if they could ship for that price. They agreed and after receiving, I sold the extra parts it came with bringing the total cost down to $700.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:28 AM

My beershorts keep my cans cool

$3.29 at your local volunteers of america

BR,

~D
Old 07-02-2015, 11:58 AM

Nothing beats to salvage a beauty

Must be this:

as described here.

Buying a damaged frame, not knowing whether I will be able to handle a (to me) challenging repair, including some brazing and matching paint...
Turned out great and every ride makes me happy, exactly how a fellow forumite commented:

"You will feel the pride of your efforts at repairing that frame every time you throw a leg over it."
Old 07-02-2015, 01:58 PM

My best finds are my NOS Colnago TECNOS AD- 11 from Seattle Craigslist and then the kind forumite (his name escapes me) who sold me an NOS Prescia fork (for which I will always be greatful!) That was 9-years ago before the steel renaissance so the prices were extremely reasonable. Two years ago, I scored a Campy Record SILVER (9, 10,11) hubbed wheelset with Campy Motreal 76 rims for $150 from a used gear shop in nearby Woodinville. They were in nearly brand new condition. The manager (in his 20's) thought they were 8-speed only.

--Sheldon Brown
Old 07-02-2015, 02:19 PM

"That was 9-years ago before the steel renaissance so the prices were extremely reasonable."

I wish I had known about Italian steel before that Renaissance. I see ridiculous prices now, especially shops targeting the L'Eroica crowd and eBay. I'll see a vintage bike being sold out of, say, Hungary for a few grand. The only problem is it has barely any paint, is rusted through and has been a bird feeder for the last decade
Old 07-02-2015, 02:36 PM

i found a 1988 paramount in my size for less than $500. was happy.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:02 PM

'88 SL/SP Merckx with 61cm top tube from a popular Belgian ebay seller. Production Merckx geo never offered a top tube longer than, I believe, 59.3cm. Something longer had to come as a custom, which Merckx did until he sold, or a used pro frame. This is from a small Belgian team, still has the rider's name sticker on the DT.

I've got it built with Silver Campy 10. Oddly, no pics other than one the seller sent before I purchased it.

01.jpg
Old 07-02-2015, 03:07 PM

an old racing bicycle on ebay

i bought a 1980's mint condition time trial bicycle, with all campagnolo c record parts for $350 shipped on ebay about 14 years ago. i used the parts to put on a DeRosa frame and rode it for about 10 years before selling everything to a collector in Japan.

i spoke to the guy on the phone who sold it to me before he shipped the bicycle to me. "do you know what you are getting?", he said. i said, "yes".

could not believe no one else bid on this item when i bought it on ebay, and still my head spins for the once-in-a-lifetime deal i got.

these days my bicycles are almost all from fellow forum members, who are extremely nice to deal with!
Old 07-03-2015, 09:50 AM

That green CSI above is gorgeous.

My greatest find is probably the Schwinn Paramount Ti with full DA groupset and custom wheels for $500. It's the limited edition titanium bike that was made by Serotta for Schwinn's 60th anniversary.

Other than that, I've had fantastic success picking up small cycling goods I need from right here on this board.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberace View Post
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showth...light=confente

Read the thread. I had posted a PSA on a Confente and then realized it was about 5-10minutes from work. I called the guy and said I'd be there in the morning with the cash. Showed up and bought it for $1,000 and also got a screaming deal on a couple Park shop tools for $100.
And sold on ebay for 8650. Any info on the buyer? In 30 years he might be calling his purchase "his greatest find."
Old 07-03-2015, 02:12 PM

I've managed to snag a few:

-- cherry Superbe equiped 1985 Pinarello for $300.

-- cherry full Dura Ace 1986 Team Miyata w/out wheels for $150

-- mid 90's Litespeed MTB and fork for $175

-- mid 90's Litespeed made MTB for $300
Old 07-17-2015, 12:59 PM

My dreambike from the early 90s. Unaffordable for a student, last year i found a frame in top condition (original paint). Now only a wallhanger.

Old 07-17-2015, 01:21 PM

That Klein is fantastic!

My best find:

Found this on craigslist. Drove six hours round-trip to pick it up. So happy that I did.

Last edited by exapkib; 07-17-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:57 PM

An in-law learned I was into cycling and asked me if I wanted "this old bike I had in the '80s" that was sitting in his basement. Imagine my surprise when he pulled out this Guerciotti, full C-Record with SLX tubes. Now one of my main riders.