Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2024, 01:04 PM

There are so many superb wheels builders these days--we live in a golden era in that respect. I'm with Catchourbreath on WI T11s. Been on a set for ~10 years and very happy--smooth like buttah, easy to maintain, don't eat bearings every six months, and relatively dust/dirt resistant. Happy with aluminum wheelset (and service) from Sugar Wheelworks: Hurl Everstone | Sugar Sales Manager
2323 N Williams | Portland, OR 97227
503.236.8511 | info@sugarwheelworks.com
Old 03-01-2024, 02:50 PM

Just get a used set of HED Ardennes if you're not going to go for a custom build or lighter carbon setup.
Old 03-01-2024, 03:09 PM

I decided that the DT wheels with the 350 hubs was the best choice for what I am looking for. Lots of good input here, thank you.

If I were going to have anything built custom it would be by Old Potatoe, hands down. He's built for me before, the wheels come and stay true, and his pricing is very reasonable.

I'm not as much of a T11 fan as some of you. I have found that the stock bearings don't have good seals and I end up replacing the bearings, which I haven't needed to do on any other hubs. Once bearings with good seals are in, they don't have that issue anymore. I'm also not enthusiastic about the 2mm set screw for adjusting play, although it certainly is easy to do. They certainly are nicely made and nice looking. I think the best thing about those hubs are the color options! But I have become a DT Swiss fan on hubs.
Old 03-01-2024, 04:22 PM

Sounds like you made a choice. Of those you listed on Page 2, I was going to say, maybe none of the above. Instead, use your old hubs and have OP build you a set with better spokes, like 15g in front (or Revolution) and 14-15 in back.

The 20/24 wheelsets that aren't factory built do not appeal to me (atmo).

With lighter spokes, those 32h wheels would ride really well and still be durable.