Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2023, 09:38 PM

Thanks for the insight. I'lll probably wait for them to unveil the new wheels - specs/pricepoint and then figure out what's next.
Old 01-20-2023, 06:17 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRietz View Post
They're okay. Great quality, per usual from HED. They look cool. They make lots of noise while braking and gobble up brake pads, can't say I notice a huge difference in braking performance.
Dovetailing into the other rim brake rim thread. 24 and 28h HED Belgiums are like hen's teeth right now. I suspect HED is outta the rim brake rim, market. None at HED and maybe not in the future either.

But like in the other thread. Velocity Quill
Various DT
KinLin
H+Son

Great rim brake rim options.
Old 01-20-2023, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Dovetailing into the other rim brake rim thread. 24 and 28h HED Belgiums are like hen's teeth right now. I suspect HED is outta the rim brake rim, market. None at HED and maybe not in the future either.
I think that's likely more due to supply chain issues than no longer making rim brake rims. HED also sold disc brake Vanquish rims separately, but early in the pandemic they started to reserve these rims for complete wheels only. HED still makes and sells the Belgium rim as part of complete Ardennes wheels. HED has also said that they would keep making and selling their rim brake Jet series wheels as long as people kept buying them. Another example is Wheelbuilder.com, which sells wheel components, who has has reserved certain popular components for complete wheels only due to supply issues.
Old 01-20-2023, 08:07 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
I think that's likely more due to supply chain issues than no longer making rim brake rims. HED also sold disc brake Vanquish rims separately, but early in the pandemic they started to reserve these rims for complete wheels only. HED still makes and sells the Belgium rim as part of complete Ardennes wheels. HED has also said that they would keep making and selling their rim brake Jet series wheels as long as people kept buying them. Another example is Wheelbuilder.com, which sells wheel components, who has has reserved certain popular components for complete wheels only due to supply issues.
Don't know. All I know is HED Belgium in 24gh and 28h RIMS are really hard to find right now. I sent an email to HED asking..we'll see what they say.
Old 01-20-2023, 08:24 AM
Sunshine

Quote:
But like in the other thread. Velocity Quill
Various DT
KinLin
H+Son

Great rim brake rim options.
H+Son...
but nothing in rim brake and tubeless. And nothing in 20mm internal or wider(initially mentioned in this thread long ago).
The last limitation isnt really a significant one for many, especially if its rim brake because there is a decent chance tire width is limited.
But the lack of tubeless in rim brake design is unfortunate.

Signed,

Someone with 3 H+Son wheelsets in disc and rim formats and would buy more if they offered the tech.
Old 04-05-2023, 04:52 PM

Boyd Altamont rims to be shown at Sea Otter April 2023

Boyd teased a photo on that they'll be showing the new Altammonts rims at Sea Otter later this month: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cp2jaR9OOLp/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ig_Cp2jaR9OOLp_altamont.jpg (45.3 KB, 272 views)
Old 04-05-2023, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
Boyd teased a photo on that they'll be showing the new Altammonts rims at Sea Otter later this month: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cp2jaR9OOLp/
Sexy. Wonder what the width will be.
Old 04-05-2023, 05:14 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Don't know. All I know is HED Belgium in 24gh and 28h RIMS are really hard to find right now. I sent an email to HED asking..we'll see what they say.
As noted in another thread, I was able to find a 28h Belgium Plus at WheelBuilder.com ($165), no idea on stock. I first asked my local wheelbuilder if he could get them, he said HED told him restock in August, FWIW.
Old 04-06-2023, 06:48 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
As noted in another thread, I was able to find a 28h Belgium Plus at WheelBuilder.com ($165), no idea on stock. I first asked my local wheelbuilder if he could get them, he said HED told him restock in August, FWIW.
I'll believe it when I see it...
Old 04-07-2023, 08:51 AM
#RYFB

Confirmed: the rim I received from wheelbuilder.com was indeed a Plus, not an R.
Old 04-08-2023, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Sexy. Wonder what the width will be.
21mm internal. 25mm external.
There's another piece of big news coming along with the release of these.
Old 07-10-2023, 01:44 PM

Bump -- added the Altamont rims to the first post since they're officially for sale now at $120/rim.

https://boydcycling.com/collections/...y-clincher-rim

Noticed HED also corrected the weight of the Belgium R from 419g -> 460g and the price is now at.. $175/rim.
Old 07-10-2023, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
Bump -- added the Altamont rims to the first post since they're officially for sale now at $120/rim.

https://boydcycling.com/collections/...y-clincher-rim

Noticed HED also corrected the weight of the Belgium R from 419g -> 460g and the price is now at.. $175/rim.
Huh, they have 20h fronts and 24h rears listed but currently greyed out, implying not in stock. Which is good, I needed a 20h front rebuild for my set of Altamonts (front rim got damaged by a glass bottle on the road), but I was thinking they wouldn't even produce 20h.
Old 07-10-2023, 02:11 PM

I’ve built up a set of the Easton’s in 32h, no issues with dings, quite honestly, it’s a stiff rim, very similar construction to the HED Belgium and when building is very easy to work with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2023, 08:45 AM

Ritchey Zeta: any cons?

I have appreciated reading through the expertise and experience shared here. I realize the discussion topic is rims, and not production wheels, but I was still surprised by no mentions of the Ritchey Zeta Classic:

24.4 outer
20.0 inner
1444g (as advertised)
20/24 DT Competition spokes
Silver finish
$599 ($539 BF sale right now)

Is there a better value wheel to be had in regards to weight and durability? Does anyone have any experience with them that should give me pause? I’m 170lbs looking for a quick set that will look at home on a ‘89 RB-1 with DA 7700.

Tags
700c, rim brakes, rims, wheels