Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 01:18 PM

Another SoCal Masters Racing Douchebaggery

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellvetica View Post
Thanks A. Was trying to figure out who this was, but could not find any photos on the Google.

When I watched the video, I thought the rider looked familiar: "Could it be the older Cat1 with the Irish name whose every move in the pack makes any section feel like the last 200m of a Pro Tour sprint?" A week ago, at the Bowl, I finally got fed up with his wheel sucking and gutter riding but still decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. I had a sense of his hostile recklessness yet decided to attribute his style to his diminutive size, i.e., he's a small sprinter who thinks he can and should squeeze into a mm gap. And right there is the proverbial problem. Think around here they call it entitlement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2017, 01:54 PM

I didn't see anything that would hold up in court. If he has a history that's one thing, I don't know that racing scene but it looks to me like he just did a stupid thing and unfortunately some one else is paying for his stupidity. Like someone mentioned before, sometimes when you ride your bike on a hairy edge you adjust your weight in the opposite direction. It's also not uncommon to reach a shoulder out and bump shoulders, it's better to do that then to lock bars. Was it intentional? Not beyond a reason of doubt according to that video.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
He leans his shoulder in preparation for the hit, meaning he's winding up to make the hit more effective.
More than that, he lowered his shoulder, and then drove it into the back of the victim's arm. A shoulder-to-shoulder or shoulder-to-hip contact would have just knocked the victim sideways. By driving into the back of the victim's arm, it guaranteed that the victim's handlebars/front wheel would be turned sideways, immediately dropping the victim onto the ground.

This was a pre-meditated battery.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:25 PM
#BikeMafia

The stupid thing to do would have been to yell at him while passing on the right and then cutting him off before the turn so you can do the outside to inside move through the turn in the rain and look like a WorldTour pro.

But instead he chose the curb to knock him down into the road, cuz obviously he didn't want to "sucker punch" him into the curb and possibly kill him. His intent was just to do serious harm.

He has a history of this type of behavior and to be honest, I wish group rides would just not start if this menace shows up. If everyone would just stand up to this guy, he could then take this shoulder "rubbing" with cars. I'm sure he'd learn real quick who would win that battle.

This guy rides in some of the same circles I do....but from now on, if he shows up, I'll just pack up and leave.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:58 PM

First time around I wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt, but the slow motion at the end of the video does make it seem blatant. Like he got mad for being blocked a few seconds earlier.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
You think his wife and kids care about his "racing level" with him in the hospital? Really no one cares at all.. the only reason any of us do this is trying to impress the other cyclists. We get it in our head that it's the most important thing in the world when it's really not..
Exactly.

These dudes, and yes, I mean that quite broadly and generalized and it isn't limited to assholes like this one or even people who have a history of this stuff, live in a disturbing bubble.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavic1010 View Post
This guy rides in some of the same circles I do....but from now on, if he shows up, I'll just pack up and leave.
Second to the fact that a person was badly injured, your statement underlines the worst part of this episode. A person who may well be a sociopath is causing others to not participate in a sport they enjoy. That is truly sad.

Greg
Old 06-13-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Really no one cares at all.. the only reason any of us do this is trying to impress the other cyclists. We get it in our head that it's the most important thing in the world when it's really not.
You sound a bit like a recovering addict. Not everyone feels this way about racing (subconsciously or otherwise). Some of us race because it's a fun way to stay fit and reduce stress. It's about finding balance in one's life. You don't have to be obsessive to have fun. Unfortunately, many people do take sports to the point of obsession, whether it be golf, running, cycling, or any number of activities. The problem isn't the sport, it's the mentally unhealthy way they obsess over it.

Greg
Old 06-13-2017, 04:14 PM

Intentional?

I am not so sure it was intentional- To me, it more looked like really poor judgement.
I say this because he put himself in a really precarious position.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
...and usually the crash is your own fault, and there's little to nobody else close enough to be harmed by it. although I've seen some gnarly crashes in the opening holeshot sprint, complete with people being run over.
Add me to the list of people who have been knocked off their bike in the hole-shot sprint. Although, I am not sure where the guy who knocked me off my bike thought he was going, since I was on the 10th grid and he was behind me.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:55 PM

What a coincidence that a rider with a camera just happened to be behind them when it took place.
Pretty good job staying upright too with the rain and slick roads.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:10 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

The move was criminal. That said, if that's a race it sure didn't look like much of a race. Nearly everyone on camera lumbering at low rpm's. Minimal attacks. No real strung out efforts that I saw. Even very little evidence of two or more riders working together, much less two similar jerseys practicing teamwork. It looked like a bunch of large men (they much grow 'em big out there) riding around a neighborhood.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:21 PM

I don't know Doyle and I watched the video before I read anything in this thread (including who this Doyle character is). After watching the video, my thought was "seemed like that guy [named Doyle] did that on purpose; either that, or he is a monumental jerkwad."

And thus I think it is safe to conclude that Doyle is a Nooshdozzle (capital "N" intended, for he deserves it).
Old 06-13-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
It looked like a bunch of large men (they much grow 'em big out there) riding around a neighborhood.
Which is really how they should have been spending their day.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingminimal View Post
Which is really how they should have been spending their day.
Who the eff are you to tell anyone how to spend their day? Sheesh.

The only reason I mentioned racing level is because as you move up the categories, contact is assumed, and riders know how to handle it. Overly aggressive and dangerous behaviour, though, is not tolerated, and is often dealt with in other ways. At best, it was a stupid move. At worst, the guy is a criminal.

Last edited by shovelhd; 06-13-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Closed Thread