Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-06-2017, 05:45 PM

yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adampaiva View Post
since the OP seems to have gotten quite a lot of good info, I'll go ahead and ask my own question.

Am I crazy, as a currently non-married, non-childed, 33 year old for considering a move to the WC burbs?
Old 02-06-2017, 08:47 PM
Epic=No Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by adampaiva View Post
Yes to buy. Not rent.

And yes, Knickerbocker lofts was the one building I liked. I've looked around for something comparable and haven't seen anything.

I didn't really even think about property taxes. That may throw a financial wrinkle.
I don't think there's any lofts there at all, but downtown Tarrytown is nice. My buddy owns some buildings there if you want me to ask around. And yes, 33 and single, moving to the 'burbs? Nuts. Get ye to Murray Hill. LOL.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:56 PM
tailgunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
I don't think there's any lofts there at all, but downtown Tarrytown is nice. My buddy owns some buildings there if you want me to ask around. And yes, 33 and single, moving to the 'burbs? Nuts. Get ye to Murray Hill. LOL.
haha that's my hood weirdly enough, i'm surrounded by retirees.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
And yes, 33 and single, moving to the 'burbs? Nuts. Get ye to Murray Hill. LOL.
Any self-respecting Brooklynite will probably think s/he is downgrading by moving to Murray Hill
Old 02-06-2017, 09:57 PM

ok yea I think you guys are right. I need to stay put a little while longer.
The better cycling and parking spots can wait.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:05 PM
Cat 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by velofinds View Post
Any self-respecting Brooklynite will probably think s/he is downgrading by moving to Murray Hill
Murray Hill is for 35 year old boys who think they still live in a frat house.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:07 PM

UWS Walkup

...i lived on W 75th and W 76th Streets forever, now live on W 107th. If you are looking to move to the UWS and trying to save some money on rent send me a PM. There is a family that owns about 60 walkup brownstones with reasonable (for NYC) rents.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:01 AM

I'd like to offer something else to think about.

Move right next to your office. Or as close as you can to it. It's not absolutely the prettiest area but it's a relatively inexpensive neighborhood and the schools are good.

In reality, the subway and taxis are the worst part of living in New York. Constant crowds and delays. You can't put a price on that sort of convenience and the ability to always spend time with your family.

You will be a quick ride to grand central station, which you can take to wonderful rides points north.

Once you are in Manhattan you will find that it's quite compact overall especially in comparison to the suburbs!
Old 02-08-2017, 07:52 AM

Is there anyone on the forum who regularly commutes by bike in Manhattan? I do not yet have a sense of facilities at the new office, but was curious about people's experiences. I am an almost 20-year bike commuter through downtown D.C., but I have only ridden a bike in Manhattan on weekends on a Citibike doing touristy things. No real sense for what a commute would be like.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:24 AM

Yes, I commute every day from Brooklyn into Midtown Manhattan. NYC bike commuting is fine and I don't mind it, and it's a great way to start the day (today is almost 60 degrees!). But at the same time, it is crazy traffic and tons of taxis and pedestrians not paying attention and potholes etc. I've been knocked down by cars a handful of times over the years, but its never kept me from getting back onto the bike every single day.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:26 AM
Epic=No Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_mutt View Post
Murray Hill is AWFUL. But I do think of it as the most "singles" neighborhood in the City. So long as you like dudes in white lacrosse hats and/or girls who work in social media.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydhest View Post
Is there anyone on the forum who regularly commutes by bike in Manhattan?
Me.

Quote:
I do not yet have a sense of facilities at the new office, but was curious about people's experiences.
Great. My twice-daily commute is the best part of my day by far, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Seriously.

Of course, it helps that I'm blessed with great at-work facilities (indoor parking, shower), but even if I didn't, I'd still do it.

Quote:
I am an almost 20-year bike commuter through downtown D.C., but I have only ridden a bike in Manhattan on weekends on a Citibike doing touristy things. No real sense for what a commute would be like.
You'll be fine. The cycling infrastructure here has come a long way, and your fitness and street smarts are way more important factors besides. Riding in Manhattan seems scary to non-locals and those who don't do it, but I've said it before and I'll say it again: I feel vastly safer riding in Manhattan than I do riding in the suburbs or even in the outer boroughs. Have situational awareness and ride defensively, and riding in the city can be supremely enjoyable.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:22 AM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Is there anyone on the forum who regularly commutes by bike in Manhattan? I do not yet have a sense of facilities at the new office, but was curious about people's experiences. I am an almost 20-year bike commuter through downtown D.C., but I have only ridden a bike in Manhattan on weekends on a Citibike doing touristy things. No real sense for what a commute would be like.
I can walk to work but I more often than not bike to work with my Brompton so I have no experience with the CitiBike. On CitiBikes one of my work colleagues complains that getting the bike isn't the problem but that being able to park it when all the bike docks near the midtown office are full is a PITA.

Riding in Manhattan is safe if you've got your head screwed on straight. Even the worst of 8th Ave midtown by the Cravath building is manageable if you just slow down a little. Search this forum for Manhattan city riding and you'll get a bigger picture. Biking will put you in touch with the rhythms of the city but even so, I'd admit riding south of 14th Street is a different head and a much nicer vibe than midtown. But that's to be expected, it's midtown, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_mutt View Post
Really? HAHa! Murray Hill still costs Manhattan so does that mean these boys are sharing a 1BR piled in 6 deep? Um, bromance innuendoes aside, that didn't sound quite right.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:49 AM
Epic=No Smiles

I cycle from GCT to 225 Liberty a few times a week. Commuting in the City is fine.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
I cycle from GCT to 225 Liberty a few times a week. Commuting in the City is fine.
Weren't you also in the Times a few years back in an article on uber-commuters?