Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2024, 11:32 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Why is this bike so freaking good? [Moots Psycho-X RSL]

Lots of us have too many bikes, yet we still grab ones from our lust history as time passes when they affordably pop up for sale. To satisfy what we might have missed perhaps.

And no better place than PL to grab these as so many of us do this and pass them along as new interests pop up.

I usually just do the simplest of builds to see just how a new frame builds out and see if I will meld. Sometimes just SS, I usually know in 400' if I am going to like...

And boy have I melded with the [2012?] Moots Psychlo-X RSL I built from my purchase from mistermo.

I had real concerns about the 61mm BB drop. But have to say I may have to, in fact am rethinking low BB preference I've had for a while now. I have 2 bikes with 75 and 80mm drop.

Anyway, an FTP mash/pace ride on an empty rail trail with a nice 4-5% 7 mile grade really showed this monsters prowess.

Current toss together parts included old 404s with 35mm GK slicks latex @ 75 Psi, One barcon with a 40t narrow wide ring and a 30t cassette. Works so ride-ably well I may just leave it as is and pile miles on it rather than embellish with SR.

Although I did go more permanent on the brakes with Pauls Mini-moto front and touring rear. So one and done on the straddle setup install, yada.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RSL-X.jpg (127.9 KB, 489 views)

Last edited by robt57; 02-25-2024 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-26-2024, 07:56 AM
Proud Grandpa

Nice rig and yes, even without the modern 'standard set', like discs and electronic and fat head tubes and such, it WILL work just fine and dandy.

Good for you....
Old 02-26-2024, 10:19 AM

CX bikes are fun because the geometries tend to have a good mix of nimble yet stable. It's like a crit bike for dirt roads. I still enjoy riding my canti CX bike too - simple is good.
Old 02-26-2024, 03:05 PM

Couldn’t agree more.

Putting lotsa miles on my PSX lately.

Roll on some skinny (well, skinnier… ) tires and it’s a comfortable roadie that climbs great. Stiff rear end can be muted by a flexible post, like an Ergon.

And today got in a warm & very windy ride with bigger 38 mm tires mounted.

It is a little worrisome how dry some of the trails are here… in February…

Old 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Meh

Easy, the answer is that it's a Moots.
Old 02-27-2024, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
And boy have I melded with the [2012?] Moots Psychlo-X RSL I built from my purchase from mistermo.

I had real concerns about the 61mm BB drop. But have to say I may have to, in fact am rethinking low BB preference I've had for a while now. I have 2 bikes with 75 and 80mm drop.
Super happy you're enjoying it! Yes, I've found the same re. BB height. One of my favorite, best handling bikes ever, is a Steelman Eurocross which also has a high BB. I am not a frame designer, so I can't explain why some high BB bikes are sublime handling while others carve a wide arc and seem to prefer to go straight.
Old 02-27-2024, 05:33 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
Super happy you're enjoying it! Yes, I've found the same re. BB height. One of my favorite, best handling bikes ever, is a Steelman Eurocross which also has a high BB. I am not a frame designer, so I can't explain why some high BB bikes are sublime handling while others carve a wide arc and seem to prefer to go straight.
You'll recall it was one of my concerns. I even bought an Eccentric PF30 BB to lower it. So yet another new part I may use elsewhere...
Old 02-27-2024, 06:37 PM

Reminds of this - a classic from when CyclingTips was a thing. It does not appear that it can still be found online.

Old 02-27-2024, 06:46 PM

What's not to like? I dig the 1 X with the bar end. I have a similar build, not Moots, with 44 front and 11-34 rear, 12 speed, using the lever in friction mode. Thought I might not want to keep it that way, but I really like riding it the way it is. I know you are going to get a lot of kicks out of your Moots.
Old 02-27-2024, 06:56 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBike View Post
What's not to like? I dig the 1 X with the bar end. I have a similar build, not Moots, with 44 front and 11-34 rear, 12 speed, using the lever in friction mode. Thought I might not want to keep it that way, but I really like riding it the way it is. I know you are going to get a lot of kicks out of your Moots.
My shifter is also friction only, in fact a left over left/front. I though it temporary initially, with the 10s cassette, But probably just jam on it as is. I don't see any real improvement really to putting on 11s.