Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2020, 04:29 AM

Is that what they call "bi-lam"?
Old 04-19-2020, 05:18 AM

Why the dislike for Thomson seat-post on the first page?

(Not that I particularly like them... just know that plenty of ppl seem to swoon on them)
Old 04-19-2020, 05:39 AM

back to the OP, stunningly beautiful YES, however when putting such money/effort into frame, wheels, etc - think putting on Dura Ace with its more pearl like finish would completed the job.

Only other thing could been done is few handprinted naming on the frame itself for contrast.
Old 04-19-2020, 05:59 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbb View Post
Why the dislike for Thomson seat-post on the first page?

(Not that I particularly like them... just know that plenty of ppl seem to swoon on them)
Not pleasing to the eye (the straight one is fine).
Old 04-19-2020, 06:01 AM
aka RAEKWON

I just really think those shimano rotors cheapen a bike with the plastic insert middle. DA is at least better than ultegra since its black but I think they woild look much better without the plastic middle.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
Is that what they call "bi-lam"?
Yes because there is a sleeve on one tube but not on the other in a single joint. Just in case someone doesn't know, "bilam" is short for bilaminate.
Old 04-19-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I just really think those shimano rotors cheapen a bike with the plastic insert middle. DA is at least better than ultegra since its black but I think they woild look much better without the plastic middle.
XT and XTR rotors work just fine with shimano road disc
Old 04-19-2020, 09:37 AM

I’m guessing that the build kit wasn’t totally up to Chris, if it’s a customer’s bike, so I wouldn’t quibble other than to say that the frame deserves better...

Here are some photos I took of Bishop’s bikes at NAHBS in Hartford:

Old 04-19-2020, 10:28 AM

has anyone seen a more beautiful bike than this?

Yes.
Old 04-19-2020, 10:30 AM
Two wheels good

Touché.
Old 04-19-2020, 02:20 PM

Tough crowd again. For those who would like to donate a more appropriate finishing kit, please send a PM and I'll provide delivery information.

As for Bishop. The Mid-Atlantic may not have the number of frame builder options that some other US regions have, but I'd say the quality of the vendors here makes up for the quantity. I'm lucky to be able to make a detour on my commute to swing by Chris' shop. Only have the highest praise for the experience: fit, discussion of options, steering me away from (only some apparently!) silly choices, etc. The biz side of it too - none of the "dog ate my homework" shenanigans some of the purveyors of our hobby shovel out. If you're going for a full-build, he partners with Cutlass on wheels, assembly, etc. Chris doesn't build every type of bike + only works in steel but if he can meet your needs, strongly suggest considering him as the builder of your next bike.

Regarding the paint. Chris lobbied strong for the bold single color to highlight the metal work. Dimple is for clearance; rear spacing is 135mm.

Old 04-19-2020, 03:11 PM

Bishop frames are baller, for sure. How you build the bike is, as always, personal preference. How you build it will definitely not please everyone.

But the frameset, very nice.

I seem to recall seeing a Bishop out in Purcellville, VA on one of my rides that had a similar color. It was a couple years ago, so I don’t remember it in detail. Bicycles and Coffee shop.

Very nice bike - enjoy it and keep it clean!
Old 04-19-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_hudson View Post
Tough crowd again. For those who would like to donate a more appropriate finishing kit, please send a PM and I'll provide delivery information.

As for Bishop. The Mid-Atlantic may not have the number of frame builder options that some other US regions have, but I'd say the quality of the vendors here makes up for the quantity. I'm lucky to be able to make a detour on my commute to swing by Chris' shop. Only have the highest praise for the experience: fit, discussion of options, steering me away from (only some apparently!) silly choices, etc. The biz side of it too - none of the "dog ate my homework" shenanigans some of the purveyors of our hobby shovel out. If you're going for a full-build, he partners with Cutlass on wheels, assembly, etc. Chris doesn't build every type of bike + only works in steel but if he can meet your needs, strongly suggest considering him as the builder of your next bike.

Regarding the paint. Chris lobbied strong for the bold single color to highlight the metal work. Dimple is for clearance; rear spacing is 135mm.

I completely agree about Chris; he is an incredible builder and is also a really great guy. My wife and I met him at the Hartford NAHBS and he made me an offer that I couldn't refuse on one of his project bikes that he was displaying. Two years later at the Philly Bike Expo he greeted us like we were lost family members. He really is a great guy who just happens to be incredibly talented at building steel bikes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bishop_01.jpg (124.1 KB, 196 views)

Last edited by foggypeake; 04-19-2020 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-19-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Yes.
Haven’t you heard? Beauty is in the eye..., BTW, that too is a stellar, (beautiful) bike.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:32 PM

Amazingly, I almost bought an Officina Battaglin Marosticana about six months after buying my Bishop. I received an email from Battaglin with closeout pricing on the Marosticana and I responded. Coincidentally, we were travelling to Venice and while there I even spoke to Alex Battaglin on the phone who encouraged me to drive out to their shop (about a 90 minute drive) to get fitted, etc. However, my wife was immersed in her work (why we were there) and I simply couldn't arrange transportation. In addition, she is the comptroller of the family, so I wouldn't feel right without her there. After all, she was the one who insisted on buying my Bishop (I've got a great wife).

One of my greatest regrets. But it just motivates me even more to go back.

Tags
ostentatious, thomson