Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2023, 02:44 PM

My expectation is just a little greater from boutique builders. Its not a surly. Even $500 aluminum mtbs and boomer bikes from Dicks manage something a little less cobby looking. Comes across as a bit lazy in 2023, zip ties on the down tube or fork are just not acceptable anymore. I thought a serotta was about pushing the envelope of existing technology in a bombproof platform?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
One man’s jank is another mechanic or traveler’s wet dream..
Old 11-26-2023, 02:53 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Holy Janky Brakeline Routing, Batman!!!!
It's wireless shifting, so the only things to route are the brake hoses. The front goes along the fork and the other goes down the downtube and along the nds chainstay.
The routing seems very straight forward. Not sure what is janky about it?

...if the complaint is that it isn't internally routed, I mean I guess that is something to complain about. My gravel frame has an internal fork hose and rear brake is externally routed. The zip ties work fine- I continue to not die or even think about the brake hose.
Old 11-26-2023, 03:02 PM

Feel for those paying full price when these were initially launched. Seems like a very decent frame/fork for the price.
Old 11-26-2023, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laupsi View Post
Feel for those paying full price when these were initially launched. Seems like a very decent frame/fork for the price.
If more than a handful of such people existed, we wouldn't be in this situation now.
Old 11-26-2023, 03:22 PM

I think it looks terrible, particularly on the fork. Most have one way in one way out routing for at least the last decade. If diamondback can figure it out, pretty sure Ben can. It's a pretty low bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
It's wireless shifting, so the only things to route are the brake hoses. The front goes along the fork and the other goes down the downtube and along the nds chainstay.
The routing seems very straight forward. Not sure what is janky about it?

...if the complaint is that it isn't internally routed, I mean I guess that is something to complain about. My gravel frame has an internal fork hose and rear brake is externally routed. The zip ties work fine- I continue to not die or even think about the brake hose.
Old 11-26-2023, 04:22 PM

I'd buy one at TPC discounted price if I had any need for it. A 60cm would fit me quite well based on the geometry numbers. It might well end up being be my favourite road bike.

It seems like it might be a tough bike bike to sell at retail price though.

I know there are a number of Serotta fans here, (and I often window shop in the classifieds). How do you feel about this bike? Would you pay a premium for Ben's design input today?
Old 11-26-2023, 04:57 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
I think it looks terrible, particularly on the fork. Most have one way in one way out routing for at least the last decade. If diamondback can figure it out, pretty sure Ben can. It's a pretty low bar
Yeah, the external fork routing is less than elegant. Att he same time, it does t scream 'janky brake line routing' to me since the routing is actually quite direct.

I want a fork with internal routing, but it's worth noting that both Ritchey and Whisky have a ton of disc forks that route the cable/house externally. It's still very much a thing, despite diamondback figuring out internal a decade ago.
Old 11-26-2023, 06:04 PM

External on the fork is a no go for me...for like a decade

It's lazy at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Yeah, the external fork routing is less than elegant. Att he same time, it does t scream 'janky brake line routing' to me since the routing is actually quite direct.

I want a fork with internal routing, but it's worth noting that both Ritchey and Whisky have a ton of disc forks that route the cable/house externally. It's still very much a thing, despite diamondback figuring out internal a decade ago.

Last edited by peanutgallery; 11-26-2023 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-26-2023, 06:33 PM

Quote:
External on the fork is a no go for me...for like a decade

It's lazy at this point
But this fork was designed around the same time as Enves external road fork, these have been available since 2017 or so… it’s a “previous gen” close out if we use big maker terms. Ben was also one of the last to route di2 internally back in the day too.

I have one, it’s easily the nicest aluminum bike I have seen or owned, rides REALLY well, and the external hose routing with clips (that it came with) are really convenient for a home mechanic or for travel.

The new Serottas have internal routing, and aren’t “on sale” like this one. For the rest of y’all who just want a nice bike, at a great price go grab one. It’s why I did, and it’s a perfect bike for leaving at our place in Nashville. ATMO it blows the mid level stuff you’d get nowadays out of the water for a $3000 or so complete build if you go with new parts.
Old 11-26-2023, 07:42 PM

Not digging the zip ties

Missed the boat on 2nd and 3rd homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwtsculler91 View Post
But this fork was designed around the same time as Enves external road fork, these have been available since 2017 or so… it’s a “previous gen” close out if we use big maker terms. Ben was also one of the last to route di2 internally back in the day too.

I have one, it’s easily the nicest aluminum bike I have seen or owned, rides REALLY well, and the external hose routing with clips (that it came with) are really convenient for a home mechanic or for travel.

The new Serottas have internal routing, and aren’t “on sale” like this one. For the rest of y’all who just want a nice bike, at a great price go grab one. It’s why I did, and it’s a perfect bike for leaving at our place in Nashville. ATMO it blows the mid level stuff you’d get nowadays out of the water for a $3000 or so complete build if you go with new parts.

Last edited by peanutgallery; 11-26-2023 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-26-2023, 08:45 PM

On one hand, I agree that externally routed brake hoses look like ass. On the.other hand, my Milwaukee Mettle has externally routed brake hoses and I don't even notice it while riding. I really like that bike.
Old 11-27-2023, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Not digging the zip ties

Missed the boat on 2nd and 3rd homes
You mean you dont keep a C68 at your Malibu place, a spotless vintage Merlin at your pad in the Hamptons and the latest and greatest Yeti at your Aspen condo like i do ?

(JK)
Old 11-27-2023, 07:36 PM

3k for a full electronic build is honestly not bad at all.
(via serotta site)
Old 12-07-2023, 01:00 AM

TPC just dropped the price to $258!

https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...-frameset-2022

I bought one at $625 and got the last 60cm. I'm okay with that. Can say without a doubt you will not find a better frameset for the money.
Old 12-07-2023, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
TPC just dropped the price to $258!

https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...-frameset-2022

I bought one at $625 and got the last 60cm. I'm okay with that. Can say without a doubt you will not find a better frameset for the money.
Looks like there was only one frameset at that insanely low price and now it's gone!
Serotta still has 3 sizes left at under $600 last I checked.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk