Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2017, 06:46 PM

POLAR M460 computer

Looks pretty nice, anybody have any experience with one?
Old 06-28-2017, 08:10 PM
Veni Veloce Vomiti

I just purchased the predecessor, Polar M450, on sale at walmart dot com for ~$100. I've been using it for a little over a month. I like it. Still doing a little tweaking to the settings. Has a neat little feature: built in front light. You can set it to come on "manually or when the ambient light sensor tells it to. I've not used that part yet, but seems pretty cool. It uses a USB rechargeable battery and will sync either thru the USB to your computer online to polarflow or through your smart phone via bluetooth polar app to the same polarflow website.

The chest transmitter is bluetooth, also. The head unit collects data each second. It does not show an on-screen display of your ride, but when you upload to the site, the route map appears. I've had zero problems with any of the standard data collection features, which include, HR, GPS route, speed and distance data, etc. It also has a built in ambient temp thermometer. Seems that feature tends to collect ambient temp at approx. 10* F higher than actual. It also has the ability to use pedal power bluetooth data if you have pedals that are compatible. Will also use cadence collection via bluetooth, as well.

So far, the bluetooth sending unit on the chest strap has not needed a battery change -- and that's even with the battery that came with the unit. I've only used it about 50 hours, so far, tho.

DC Rainmaker has a pretty good review of the M450 which helped me settle on that model. I've always used Polar products. This one seems pretty reliable and accurate for the data that I measure.

MIke in AR
Old 06-28-2017, 09:25 PM
Veni Veloce Vomiti

Looks like the price has gone up since I purchased.

Mike in AR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 450wm.jpg (50.1 KB, 22 views)