Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2017, 10:15 AM

Swapping Hydraulic Shifters

I recently got a new bike that has Shimano hydraulic mechanical shifters (Ultegra 6800). At some point down the line, I'd like to swap the groupset to Di2. I don't have much experience bleeding disc brakes, and was wondering if swapping the shifters will require me to bleed the brakes. I would be using the same disc calipers. I don't mind learning how to bleed the brakes if it's necessary, but just wanted to know the simplest route for swapping the shifters.

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2017, 10:22 AM

Changing only the lever or the caliper requires cutting and reinstalling the hose which necessitates bleeding. Buy a nice (not bare bones) bleed kit and watch a lot of instructional videos multiple times. The more you do it, the better and faster you become.

I'm not sure if the new levers come with hoses attached or if you'll reuse your current hose.

I doubt it would be much more to just sell your calipers and levers and get new caliper/lever combo. Either way, though, you're more than likely going to have to trim hose and bleed.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 06-28-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Changing only the lever or the caliper requires cutting and reinstalling the hose which necessitates bleeding. Buy a nice (not bare bones) bleed kit and watch a lot of instructional videos multiple times. The more you do it, the better and faster you become.

I'm not sure if the new levers come with hoses attached or if you'll reuse your current hose.

I doubt it would be much more to just sell your calipers and levers and get new caliper/lever combo. Either way, though, you're more than likely going to have to trim hose and bleed.
Gotcha, thanks for the info! Any particular bleed kits that are recommended?
Old 06-28-2017, 10:28 AM

I see no reason to stray from the manufacturer. I use Avid Pro for my Red HydroR levers and Shimano kit for my XT levers.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:35 AM

Makes sense. Also to your other point, the kit I'm looking at does include levers that are attached to calipers. Is it more work to use the existing hoses after cutting them from the old shifters? My frame has internal routing, so my impression is that leaving the hose attached to the caliper would make my life easier.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:59 PM

Should be able to unhook the hoses from the levers and swap them that way.

...at least that's what I was planning to do with mine.